Wierd weapons

Discussion in 'History' started by spearfish, Sep 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You would probably not want to be close to this when it went off:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett_(nuclear_device)

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As it's maximum projectile range was apparently 2.5 miles & the 0.5 kiloton warhead had an immediate lethal-dose radiation range nearing 0.5 miles diameter on impact... You would rather hope it didn't hit anything before it reached maximum range & even then, you would rather hope for the wind behind you!

3. To be fired by those wearing white sheets, who, upon firing, promptly stuck their heads between their legs and kissed their a*se goodbye.

Reminds me of the sticky grenade invented in WWI. Or the Russian dog-deployed anti-tank mines. These had dogs trained to crawl under tanks with a magnetic mine strapped to their backs. Dog sees tank, climbs under tank and mine blows up. Only the dogs were trained using Russian tanks, so when they were released in the field they headed back to the Russian lines. Doh!

4. When I was at school, we used to ping
    the Teachers with a paper clip fired,
    using an elastic band. Yes the times,
    they are-a-changin'..

[​IMG]

5. "To load but once and fire often"...spearfish, could have done with one of those on the A34 coming out of Oxford the other day!! Nightmare!

6. It makes one wonder if the planet has been knocked of its axis of rotation with all those silly things going bang for years hence the shite weather we are getting????

Meanwhile back in OZ we have a new game to play called Blind the pilot with your lazer

http://au.news.yahoo.com/070929/2/14jwh.html

7. Reminds me of a nuclear tipped heavyweight torpedo the US Navy had many years ago. Its "kill probability" was 200% - because its range was less than the radius of destruction from the explosion !