Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Why was the following Post deleted????

sgtpepperband said:
Because it appeared to be an advert for a website of questionable source.

Appeared to be or was? That is the question. I wish to thank you sgtP for protecting me, and all the other members from the badness of the tinerweb..
It must have been REALLY OFFENSIVE for you to censor it. :thumright:

Rumration comes up as a website of questionable source according to McAfee, despite them having been advised otherwise. :wink:

The website is for SETI@HOME if you haven't heard of it, the program is made by berkely university (USA), and checks telescope data for intelligent signals. the Royal Navy team is well behind many other countries (Malasia for example), and i thought people on RumRation might want to join.

The program basically number crunches and utilises the unused CPU processing power of your PC without slowing down what you are doing, so you will be using all the PC power when it is on.

I did try to get the Navy News to put it in put they never replied.

Cheers

DiscoStu

sgtpepperband said:

Being the decent fellow you are SPB, despite being a crusher you could have told the poster your reasons and for that the rest of us, and probably avoided bringing the moderators as a whole into disrepute once again. By the way even numpties like me have heard of SETI which has been going as long as the internet.

DiscoStu said:
The program basically number crunches and utilises the unused CPU processing power of your PC without slowing down what you are doing, so you will be using all the PC power when it is on.

We've been through this, it DOES slow down your PC :)

Lamri said:
DiscoStu said:

We've been through this, it DOES slow down your PC :)

Just switching on your PC slows it down! ;) :lol:

...Buy a Mac! :biggrin:

Anything the Mods do to prevent the general standard of RR, standfast the Gash Barge and Diamond Lil's, being reduced to the lowest common denominator - which is embarrassingly low at times - gets my vote. And anyone who believes a PC program can run in the background without consuming CPU power and affecting the speed of your PC must be Becontree (two stops beyond Barking).

Maxi_77 said:
sgtpepperband said:

Being the decent fellow you are SPB, despite being a crusher you could have told the poster your reasons and for that the rest of us, and probably avoided bringing the moderators as a whole into disrepute once again. By the way even numpties like me have heard of SETI which has been going as long as the internet.

Based on the comments made by Lamri et al in the original (deleted) thread about the appliction's effect on the CPU and the tone of the original (and subsequent) posts by DiscoStu, it seemed to be a blatant advert/spam/whatever by him. So hardly 'bringing the Mods into disrepute'!

Perhaps I should've lied and said "oops, I pressed the wrong button..." 8O :oops:

There is no requirement to use your Personal Computer
(and its idle CPU/RAM/ROM etc), to assist in the search
for Alien Life Forms......there's enough right here on RR
to satisfy that need.

Lets see......Task Manager....yes....100%
143 Processes running in the background.
Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Works every time.

sgtpepperband said:
McAfee is officially endorsed by the Governments of the UK and the US - 'nuff said! :twisted: :wink:

Reading this it has spoilt was what turning out to be a lovely day in mid carnaval.
You really have me seriously worried now.

Latest Threads