why they wouldn't have me

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by wompingwillow, Feb 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. didn't want to high-jack the URNU/RNR post any further so below ( and no doubt will be added to with less than helpful remarks) reasons I'd never get in to the RNR:

I'm unfit
    I'm a single mother
    I'm dyslexic
    I was kicked out of Raleigh after a month and four days when I joined the regulars at 16

apart from that I feel I'm an A one candidate for the RNR

:grin:

WW

2. They would love you.

3. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Get fit!
    I was a single father of 2 for quite a while and the RN didn't kick me out.
    Dyslexia is no bar to joining and a recognised learning difficulty in the RN
    I expect you have grown up a bit since you were kicked out as a kid.

However! Reflect on why you were kicked out to be sure you want back in!

4. TRY TRY AND TRY AGAIN.

Never be a quitter!!!

Bulldog breed!!!!!

5. Go for it!! I'm sure if you want it badly enough you'll master the down side.

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

do I know you?

7. Fixable, what do you mean by unfit?

So? Yes it means that meeting the training commitment might be difficult, but there is no reason not to. fwiw two of the strongest people I know are single mothers.

Didn't stop me getting into the regular service.

Since then you've had a lot more life experience, and you're an instructor in the SCC. As long as you can discuss this openly, and show that you've moved on, then I don't see it as an issue.

8. WW
    I was 35 when I joined the RNR, and a father of three. I hadn't done any exercise to speak of since I left school at 16 and hadn't lifted anything heavier than a pint. It took me a while and a lot of hard work but I got through the basic training (and actually enjoyed it). I am a single parent, and bring my children up on my own. I do get help from my family when I go away with the RNR. If you really want to join I am sure you can do it. At your age you'll be a mere sprog in the RNR. Good luck.

9. WW, stop looking for reason why the RNR won't have you, and think of all the reasons why they WILL have you, and i'm sure you'll be just fine ;)

10. WW, I'm trying not to purely be an echo to what others have said, I'm sure you'll get in the RNR no problem at all.

All youve got to do to get into the RNR is a very easy jog on a treadmill. Then youve got a year to pass your PT tests, which should be enough time.

secondly about you being kicked out of Raleigh, can you identify the reasons why you were kicked out? If so, coupled with the fact that you are an SCC instructor, you can show that you have matured since being 16.

I don't know personally about dyslexia and being a single mother but i would have thought that they cant discriminate, and going by what others have said, they won't.

Just remember that being a single mother may mean pressure on you. It wont be a reason why they don't want you, but can you give up a night a week the occasional weekend and two full weeks a year?
    I'm sure that if you really want to join the RNR or navy, you can.

11. Wompers

You will do fine, I knew of a guy who got booted out of RN basic at 16 and the last time I saw him he was a Flight Sergeant in the RAF careers office (this was in the early 90's).

As for dyslexia they can work round it and there are plenty of single parents in the forces and emergency service so you can work round that as well.

I'm still struggling with my RNR application at the mo as I am flat hunting before I get evicted (landlady is selling house) and I'm going through the recruitment process for the railway.

Good luck Wompers
    stab

12. If you were no good for the Regular (Fullime RN) what makes you think you would be of any use to the RNR.

13. How many people have left RALEIGH before finishing NE courses (RN and RNR), realised they made a mistake and re-entered, finished NE and gone on to productive careers? A fair number of people who are reading this. Sorry Jancox, not everyone knows their own mind or capabilities at 16. GO for it WW and good luck.

14. Sorry Jancox, think your wrong there mate. We dont know why the RN and Wompingwillow parted company in the 1st place, and if it was a serious balls up on her part she was 16 FFS.

Go for it womps, the worst that could happen is you get turned down.

15. Officer Class if ever i saw one.

Dont put yourself down.

1. You can get fit, most RNR units will help you with this but you have to really want to do it or theres no point.

2. What does that have to do with it. If you can spare the time there is no reason whatsoever that you cant join.

3. Being dyslexic isnt necessarily a problem. I know an officer who is extremly capable who is Dyslexic. The unit once thought he was fiddling his petrol because the car reg No he was putting on his paperwork didn't tally with any cars they gace him. It turns out he was just getting the numbers/letters mixed up. (PS You should have seen how i spelt dislecsic before i checked the spelling!)

Depending on what you did to get kicked out and how long ago it was could have absolutley no baring on the recruitment process at all.

The main thing is being able to make the commitment. Can you get away at weekends and two weeks solid per year? If you want it bad enough you will get yourself fit.

16. If you can manage being a single mother, which happens to be one of the hardest "jobs" there is, then you can certainly join and handle the RNR...

17. I am a single parent, and living the dream and still there for my kids.

Go for it WW, you will never know until you try !!!

RB

18. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

To quote Henry Ford "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." - so as others have already said, stop being negative, start being positive.

Go for it - you might just surprise yourself (and have a hell of a good time in the process!).