Why the association..

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by rolling-stone, Jan 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why do people automatically suggest/assume gayness with the royal navy.

I know the ymca made that song.. But why !!

I dont want to be bummed :hump: :sad3:
  2. Assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups.
  3. GiveusakissandI'lltellya.
  4. Could be from Jolly Sailor..... Jolly = happy/carefree = gay....
    or more likley.... rum sodomy and the lash..............
    there's a clue to same sex intercourse there somewhere.

5. "The only thing you should assume is an NBCD state"

I'll get my coat.
  6. And command of a ship AngryDoc
  7. Hey don't knock it til you've tried it, it doesn't always have to be gay. In fact BR69 clearly states that it's only gay if you look back seductively over your shoulder and lick your lips.

Pushing back is considered polite.

Anyway, I have absolutely no idea where the gay reputation comes from, it probably only refers to comms ratings and WAFUs to be honest.
  8. Some suggestions.......

1. A old but cunning plan by RN recruiters to solve a one time dire shortage in the Stewards Branch.

2. A lie perpetuated by the Guards Division to draw fire from their own activities in London's parklands and shrubberies.

3. A very early attempt at gender diversity which offered an alternative to the harsher reality of 'A girl in every port.'

4. A feeble excuse for not joining put about by Alpha male landlubbers who could never have hacked it at sea.

5. Why not a PM to ask Beeline? She's now studying History at the U of P which apparently includes a Module entitled 'Rum, sodomy and the lash'.

6. At Rum, Sodomy and the [email protected]

<<The quote usually attributed to Churchill is,

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition, it's all rum, sodomy and the lash!"

The only problem, of course, is that Sir Winston never said it, although according to his assistant, Anthony Montague-Browne, he wished he had. The source of the quote is unknown, but as with many such false attributions, perhaps it's more fun to believe the story than the truth.>>

Personally, I believe it just adds to the rich mystique of life in a Blue suit - Which sets us apart and which very few will ever have the opportunity & privilege to experience. Ah well, back into the Barrel......:crybaby:
  9. Why are you worried, from reading your other posts you sound gay as feck anyway.

PS if you're not gay PM me for fun times.

10. And the Half/Full Power State. :p I`ll get mine too.
  11. With George Melly, according to his Autobiography "Rum, Bum and Concertina"
  12. Comms ratings are never awake long enough to bum each other!
  13. 2. A lie perpetuated by the Guards Division to draw fire from their own activities in London's parklands and shrubberies.

a good answer BOTWU

no response form Black Rat yet. Obviously 'out' somehwere in London............

Standing by....
  14. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

The same way that everyone here has assumed that you've been interfered with. Anytime I've had to don god's gown in public, I've had females throwing themselves at me.

I prefer Jimmy Somerville or George Michael. But Liberace had a certain touch and it wasn't his twinkle toes.

You protest too much for a civvy cunt. I suggest you forget about the RN and apply to join Stonewall as an event planner.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  15. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

One theory, suggested by Tristan (can't remember his surname) in his autobiography, Heart of Oak; during the war, servicemen passing travelling through London came into contact with the gay community frequently. They would often offer to lash up said servicemen. It was more than the machismo of the pongoes could bear to be seen in the company of gays, but Jakc being Jack, he'd take a drink from anyone. This sounds quite plausible to me.Incidentally, there used to be an old London queen who threw a party for the Oggie's field gun crew every tournament, years ago.
  16. Negat seacat. One adopts the half or full (or three-quarter) power states.

Tiddlyoggy. Is the 'Tristan' you are thinking of 'Quentin Crisp'?
  17. I thought it only applied to the surface fleet.

18. I`m sure I`ve heard both terms used. 3/4 dependent on class
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  19. I always thought we "brought" the plant to the full, 1/2, 3/4 power states but "adopted" single/double/epm drives and only "assumed" DC states
    . Just crayoning over the thread.