Why oh why can south Korea afford these, and we can't....

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by WhizzbangDai, Feb 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Sejong_the_Great_class_destroyer

Why don't we get these? Look at the stuff on them, 5inch guns, block III standard, Harpoon, goalkeeper AND RAM launchers, two lynx....

we have a massive GDP, yet we're stuck with a T45 with albeit amazing Anti-SSM and air yet bugger all else.

Go on, someone in the know explain is it anything other than we don't have the right priorities (i'm looking at Eurofighter, and the thousands of billions welfare spending)

2. Erm... because we're not technically still at war with Scotland, who regularly test fire medium range missiles and are trying to build a nuclear weapon...

3. ...

I asked for that, didn't I :p

still, amusing reply made it all worth while lol

4. Re: Why oh why can south Korea afford these, and we can't...

'cause they don't have a labour gov'mint?

5. British Aerospace.

6. :wink: :wink: PT will be along in a minute :roll: :roll: to Explain why :lol: :lol:

7. Re: Why oh why can south Korea afford these, and we can't...

I suspect that they don't have the NHS, the Dole, nor mass immigration to spend money on.
    And as the previous poster mentioned, a next door neighbour that you don't trust.

8. Re: Why oh why can south Korea afford these, and we can't...

Plus im guessing america is still pouring cash in to the country. Just a guess.

9. Re: Why oh why can south Korea afford these, and we can't...

You trust the Scots?! 8O

Awaiting incoming...

10. Re: Why oh why can south Korea afford these, and we can't...

Unlike our little lovelies, their messdecks will not have dvd players, three separate rooms for each mess, conections next to the beds to connect your computer and dvd players etc etc etc

Priorities have been somewhat mixed up.

Their ship will be armed to the teeth,

However 300-400 crew, that is the days of the county class, if you can remember those that is, so will nbe a bit cozy.

11. Re: Why oh why can south Korea afford these, and we can't...

I'm more concerned about the frogs to be honest. The Scottish threat is from politicos, and nobody trusts them anyway. The frogs actually have a military, so would be able to make a move should they want to.

12. Re: Why oh why can south Korea afford these, and we can't...

Indeed.

13. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

The ROK get access to a lot of US kit very cheaply, and benefit from US Aid to make it much more affordable for them. Sadly we don't qualify for such aid!

She's a nice piece of kit, but it'll be interesting to see how she does once the ROK try to use her outside their normal AO and whether she can integrate effectively into a task force, or be a token contribution?

14. It just occured to me that with a complement of 3-400 her systems can't be particularly integrated. That's an awful lot of sneakernet, so whilst it's all very well having the kit, if they're not hooked up without a manual intervention then the effectiveness is reduced.

15. Re: Why oh why can south Korea afford these, and we can't...

In the early 90's the ROK purchased a handful of Mk 99 Lynx helicopters, better avionic fit and the US AQS18V sonar. (I was lucky enough to be on the training team)

Westlands, (at the time), won the contract over the US company Kaman and their Sea Sprite. Not difficult when you take into account the Sea Sprites ditching record).

The one thing I learned during their training was just how Americanised they were. From uniforms to tactics the Yanks have given them the works.

16. Re: Why oh why can south Korea afford these, and we can't...

A willingness to buy OTS systems helps…

I read somewhere that 50% of the cost of a T45 is taken up just by PAAMS…

Should have just bought AEGIS and Mk41 instead of making BAE very rich.

Incoming!!!!! 8)

17. Ha, havn't I seen this thread somewhere before lol. Any second now, PT will reply and we'll be off around the merry-go-round again :p

I dont' care, mind you, I find them interesting and amusing in equal measure!

Although I still say, ASTER, plus RIM-156 gives us a better spectrum for anti-air, and anti-ship, especially because i've just found out that all air defence of the fleet is to be done by the T45's and the carrier wings of the new QE and PoW are there to strike, not mount CAP's! and if most of the air defense is done by the T45's I think its good its something as useful as ASTER..although 41(?) missiles suddenly looks a very small number of shots...:S

18. Re: Why oh why can south Korea afford these, and we can't...

48 - unless 7 tubes are getting used for something I don't know about (very likely). Not that that'll make much difference. :p

It might have something to do with keeping British (Or European) military production skills up. Maybe someone at Whitehall thinks that the US will be the next big enemy. ;-)

19. Re: Why oh why can south Korea afford these, and we can't...

Bugger the Scots, what about the French ? :D

20. Re: Why oh why can south Korea afford these, and we can't...

Well I could buy into that if the world had been beating down our door for the last 25 years to buy our world beating systems that we usually end up junking and replacing with Made in the USA options… :wink: