Why not to be a skimmer.....

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Shame that nobody has ever filmed a sub surface burst or a nuc depth charge, they're just too devastating to get close to.:winkrazz:

Shame that nobody has ever filmed a sub surface burst or a nuc depth charge, they're just too devastating to get close to.:winkrazz:

Not enough time to make your eyes water.

[video=youtube;iTaJ-wN2Ftw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTaJ-wN2Ftw&feature=related[/video]

Theres a lot of it about.

Last edited:
Yes, most people realise that when a sub is hit, or rather the pressure hull is breached it is Goodnight Vienna, ceratinly in a combat sutuation. There is a perception from past wars and Hollywood that a surface ship either hit by a torpedo or blast from a torpedo explosion that it is escapable. Perhaps, maybe, but plenty of recent footage from Sinkexs show this to be very unlikely.

jrwlynch

Lantern Swinger
Yes, most people realise that when a sub is hit, or rather the pressure hull is breached it is Goodnight Vienna, ceratinly in a combat sutuation. There is a perception from past wars and Hollywood that a surface ship either hit by a torpedo or blast from a torpedo explosion that it is escapable. Perhaps, maybe, but plenty of recent footage from Sinkexs show this to be very unlikely.
You don't need to extrapolate from a SINKEX, there have been a couple of live-fire incidents; even recently, you usually get survivors, often in some numbers. The INS Kukhri had 67 survivors and 194 killed (1971, Indo-Pakistani war): ARA General Belgrano had 323 killed and 770 survivors: the ROKS Cheonan had 46 killed and 58 survivors.Not good odds, but much better chances of survival than a submarine once it gets hit. (Cue the arguments about susceptibility versus vulnerability...)

If push comes to shove I always wanted to start at the top and work my way down. Don't think I culd hold my breath long enough to get out of one of pussers sinking sausages

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
But look at the effort you would have to go to to find and destroy us, when the link above showed standard target practice
I think even the gashest of TAS apes could get ball park enough of the few hundred odd miles range for that baby to take you out.

Trouble is Tiddly, once you've dropped it, you've got to foxtrot oscar billy big steps before it goes off and takes you out with it. A Pyrrhic victory perchance!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jenny_Dabber Diamond Lil's 21
B Submariners 15
N Submariners 18