Why not blue?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Snowman91, Oct 4, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Came across the recruitment dvd issued to me one and a half years ago when I first applied to the RN. Had a re-watch of it and noticed that naval personal can be seen wearing green camo on ship, looking similar to army camo. My wife asked me why and I have no idea so...

My question is why the green camo when deployed to the ocean if you're hundreds of miles from the nearest tree, and surrounded by water? Wouldn't it make more sense to wear a blue camo if one had to wear camo?

2. It's generally only Royal Marines or Matelots in Force Protection (Upper Deck Sentry etc) roles who wear MTP onboard. It is useful in that it appears more 'warry' and 'military' and helps act as a deterrent.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cheers big cheese, I shall tell the wife.

4. Also it's handy for attacking terrorists to know which one has the gun, giving you time to leg it!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Plus the fact, if you fall in the oggin, you don't really want to blend in. On a ship, it would make more sense if the sentry uniform was warship grey, but matelots like wearing MTP & then dripping about being mistaken for a pongo.

6. DPM/MTP also gives you a chance to "legally" turn too looking like bag of s**t tied up with string.

• Like Like x 1
  7. the uniform is also designed to be better better suited to your environment. If your under the sun all day combats will keep you much cooler than a pair of dark blue fire retardant overalls will.
    Same applys in the UK if you get wet in blue uniform it takes ages to dry, combats dry much quicker and have a layered system to keep you warm etc.