Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why me?

Moomin

War Hero
sussex2 said:
Naughty Mr Rod Gearing how dare you go about with a number plate that may make the increasing number of 'safety' and 'spying' cameras unable to properly track you. You should be ashamed of yourself sir for daring to show some sort of individuality. What on earth is the country coming to.
You thoroughly deserve a much heftier fine; flogged around the fleet, something like that.
quote]

Great I volunteer to do the flogging - opps sorry got carried away! :biggrin:

sgtpepperband said:
Aah, so a Police Officer is suppose to uphold the law (but only the important ones)? Sounds like sour grapes to me; you got a ticket and didn't like the fact that you were caught out.

And as ex-plod, you should know that ignorance of the law is no defence.

When I was in the force I used discretion,I much prefered to advise people rather than book them.
I also gave them the benefit of the doubt in the first instance but not in the second.Everyone is entitled to one mistake.

I lost count of the times people sought me out whilst on duty to show me that they had repaired/replaced a defective part etc.
Much better response than running someone in all the time.
They would have to lose a days pay to go to court,have points etc and still have to pay a fine as well as rectifying the original problem.

With parking etc I pointed out the signs and regulations so they were aware of it in future,if they did it again they I would issue a ticket.

I felt that was being fair and using common sense.

Laws are there for a reason but it doesnt say they are fair and just.

Its not sour grapes on my part as I said to the CC,the PC was doing his job.Its just the way they go about it.

This all comes down to the British Government who are incapable of managing the country (or anything else for that matter)..

You will all have noticed the increasing use of "On the Spot Fines", "Fines via Mail" (receiving fines via e-mail and SMS will be next) for various "easily identified infringements of the law" which do not require personal contact with the police and other law enforcement organisations.

These fines cut down on the use of manpower and save the government millions of pounds a year.

Sadly the thin blue line of our Police Forces are simply Uniformed Tax Collectors.

Chockheads_WM said:
This all comes down to the British Government who are incapable of managing the country (or anything else for that matter)..

You will all have noticed the increasing use of "On the Spot Fines", "Fines via Mail" (receiving fines via e-mail and SMS will be next) for various "easily identified infringements of the law" which do not require personal contact with the police and other law enforcement organisations.

These fines cut down on the use of manpower and save the government millions of pounds a year.

Sadly the thin blue line of our Police Forces are simply Uniformed Tax Collectors.

Our police, at least the senior members are now fully politicised, that much is obvious, and little wonder then that the publics perception of the force is declining, or so it seems to some.
There is not a single organisation in the country wherein the grass roots membership (in this case the rank and file police officers) cannot change the system, if they so wish.
I think you have it about right...
Chronic attention to petty detail is generally a sign that something ain't quite right!
But they say you have the police you deserve OOO000ps! o_O

Personally i think you guys in England are on a loser with the police and
notices,fines and warnings etc etc. One police man required

In Scotland there has to be two police officers present to corroborate your law breaking offence. If one on his own stops you he can call on assistance if the offence is serious enough .Otherwise he can only advise you of your wrongdoings.

I think the traffic wardens go in pairs too .

:nemo: :nemo:

Greenie said:
Personally i think you guys in England are on a loser with the police and notices, fines and warnings etc etc. One police man required.

Nor does it have to be a REAL Policeman, a Plastic One Will DO!

sgtpepperband said:
Aah, so a Police Officer is suppose to uphold the law (but only the important ones)? Sounds like sour grapes to me; you got a ticket and didn't like the fact that you were caught out.

And as ex-plod, you should know that ignorance of the law is no defence.

Only if you're a ordinary bod. If my memory serves me correctly I recall the lawyer Keith Best (before standing down as MP for Ynys Mon) argued that, despite having been present in the House when the bill which outlawed insider dealing was being discussed, he was unaware that insider dealing in BT shares was illegal. His excuse (ignorance of the law) was accepted.

I wonder if the super-efficient PC had been to the Raleigh place..... ;)

Greenie said:
Personally i think you guys in England are on a loser with the police and
notices,fines and warnings etc etc. One police man required

In Scotland there has to be two police officers present to corroborate your law breaking offence. If one on his own stops you he can call on assistance if the offence is serious enough .Otherwise he can only advise you of your wrongdoings.

I think the traffic wardens go in pairs too .

:nemo: :nemo:

The only 'bobbies' mostly seen here are the plastic ones. Saw 5 of them in a group at the Angel last weekend, the real bobbies go around in groups too - but in vans !
But we do have the ubiquitous Parking Fascists strutting around here in twos or more - generally when the sun comes out - who 'love' the motorist !

:)

Latest Threads