Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is it so hard to run with cold and blocked nose!!

chrismonc87

Lantern Swinger
Good afternoon RR,

Just went for a run (with a bit of a blocked nose and cold) was slower then last run I did and felt like keeling over at the end.

My question why is it you feel like crap, after you exercise with any kind of cold/illness. Even if you have done sorter distance/ or slower time.

Cheers

Chris

There's a whole scientific explanation for this, I could go into the fact that the shortness of breath is not adding you to produce red blood cells which in turn is delaying the bodys response in producing Adenosine triphosphate, (ATP).

Simply put, running with a blocked nose is like trying to run whilst holding your breath, your brain isn't getting enough o2, (air).

Rachelthree

War Hero
Maybe your body is using energy fighting the nasties as well which is using more energy. Either way just stay in and watch rubbish tv :D

Snowman91

Lantern Swinger
or you could man-up drink plenty of water, and go run that bugger out of your system..
That's what I've been doing. Feel like gash afterwards, sweating waaaay more than usual and almost keel over. But after taking a newly purchased recovery shake damn do I feel better.

This may work, get one of those nasil strips for cleansing your face or some balls, I've seen athletes wear them during games and it's supposed to open your nostrils up to receive more air which makes you perform better.

slim

War Hero
That's what I've been doing. Feel like gash afterwards, sweating waaaay more than usual and almost keel over. But after taking a newly purchased recovery shake damn do I feel better.

This may work, get one of those nasil strips for cleansing your face or some balls, I've seen athletes wear them during games and it's supposed to open your nostrils up to receive more air which makes you perform better.
If your nose is bunged up the plasters will not work.
Time for the treatment that the old RN would have given you./
get some menthol Chrystal's (not crystal meth) from the chemist put some in a jug of really hot water, cover your head and jug with a clothe and inhale the vapour.
Result should be clear nasal passages

chrismonc87

Lantern Swinger
Thanks to everyone who has commented.

to Rachelthree. did that on my rest day yesterday was bored as hell doing that :p

Drink 3-4 litres a day every day. With the size of my nose i wish i could cut mine off haha.
If i could get rid of ears as well would help aerodynamically!

Wrecker i'll ask the dentist next week ;)

BTW i know it was stupid question. Just really annoying getting better then all of a sudden being slower, no energy.

Chris

slim

War Hero
Thanks to everyone who has commented.

to Rachelthree. did that on my rest day yesterday was bored as hell doing that :p

Drink 3-4 litres a day every day. With the size of my nose i wish i could cut mine off haha.
If i could get rid of ears as well would help aerodynamically!

Wrecker i'll ask the dentist next week ;)

BTW i know it was stupid question. Just really annoying getting better then all of a sudden being slower, no energy.

Chris

In the old days the PTI's would have advised boxing gloves:D

chrismonc87

Lantern Swinger
I would let someone do it with out them :D. My nose bleeds easily if some thing hits it. (Due to it being broken when i was a kid by a cricket ball, which hit a stone and i couldnt react to it before it hit me!!!

slim

War Hero
I would let someone do it with out them :D. My nose bleeds easily if some thing hits it. (Due to it being broken when i was a kid by a cricket ball, which hit a stone and i couldnt react to it before it hit me!!!
The boxing gloves were not to be used for boxing.
They were to be worn at night to ensure a full nights kip:p:D

Rachelthree

War Hero
Im on bed rest this week and have watched over 100 episodes of a cheesy american programme, with dedication and perseverance you can also be comfortable being lazy! I googled once when i was ill and it said training with a head cold wont do any damage, but over exerting yourself with a chesty cold wont help much. It must be true as it was on the internet...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS eAlert: 15 May 2020 - working hard to provide our services MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Soft power with a hard edge: harnessing the benefits of fast-moving markets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Action cameras help teams to inspect hard-to-reach structures MoD News 0
J Eye Test results in hard copy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Foreign Office ramps up support for ‘hard to reach’ Brits MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Avoiding a hard border in Northern Ireland in a no deal scenario MoD News 0
couper172 Hard choice to make ! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS Speech: Hard as well as soft power: the case for modern defence MoD News 0
W How hard is it to become a pilot? The Fleet Air Arm 20
WannabeAdmiral Exercising on hard floors Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
Jacobus Hard not to be moved by this. Vale History 1
Merlin28 Why is a sea draft so hard to get The Quarterdeck 33
T Hard of Hearing Blue Jokes 0
BillyNoMates They're not as hard as they like to make out. Diamond Lil's 18
wet_blobby The hard working Marines on HMS Fearless... The Corps 34
X.R.D Gimme your hard earned!!! Charity 17
soleil Mail: "Hard-Up MoD Spends £9 Million On Recruitment... Despite Laying Off Staff" Current Affairs 5
soleil Mail: "One Pranged Sub Etc - How The Hard-Up MoD Wasted £110m Of Our Money" Current Affairs 5
soleil Navy News: "Commandos Keeping Insurgents In Check – But Still 'Hard Work To Be Done'" The Corps 0
The_Caretaker Hard Miscellaneous 0
C Hard Decision!!!!!! Submariners 23
stan_the_man my hard as fcuk cat Diamond Lil's 8
S Feeling hard done by History 2
M hard to reach information for new applicants The Gash Barge 2
2_deck_dash My pussy is hard as nails. Diamond Lil's 13
JonnoJonno SF hard-on thread Diamond Lil's 29
T Is Raleigh considered hard? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
soleil 1SL defends Navy and insists Britain must keep 'hard power' Current Affairs 16
Clown_Puncher Smoking: Big, hard AND clever Diamond Lil's 23
NotmeChief ‘Todger-chop woman's sentence depends on hard evidence’ The Quarterdeck 3
K Hard Drive Help Bloody Computers 7
Montigny_La_Palisse Think Bruno's funny? He's not a patch on Hard Gay. Hooo! Diamond Lil's 7
trelawney126 Hello mum this is going to be hard for you to read Current Affairs 19
Scarface2009 find it hard to loose fat Health & Fitness 11
T Hard pressed bankers vs the rest Current Affairs 11
Oil_Slick HARD GAY MAN!!!! Diamond Lil's 5
wave_dodger ANOTHER Forces personnel hard drive missing Current Affairs 27
golden_rivet its a hard life ... :) :) :) The Quarterdeck 12
slim NOW A TAX ON HARD WORK! Diamond Lil's 15
Seaweed It's a hard life being an Israeli jet jockey Diamond Lil's 1
G Ganges62- THE HARD OF HEARING THREAD! Diamond Lil's 129
creddly Medical Tomorrow - Hard Parts Over Though... Or Is It? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
CRYSTALTIPS Personally i find this hard to believe!!!! The Gash Barge 4
golden_rivet "...this is so hard ..." Current Affairs 17
H Hard to swallow Current Affairs 9
P HARD ON Diamond Lil's 20
B YOUR HARD DRIVE Social & Reunions 10
R 2.4km run Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MoD_RSS ACT for Youth: RUN HIDE TELL MoD News 0
D South Africa. Used to be a great run ashore for us--Now! Diamond Lil's 9