Why is Ganges so emotive?

lesbryan

War Hero
Ganges learned a lot .I did not cime from a bad upbringing .Infact my father was an RSM and very strict with me >But ganges taught a hell of alot .They were thing i hated sometimes i wish i had never jioned .but when i look back i would not have swapped that year for all the tea in china .Dont get me wrong there were some right barsers cruel bullies some got there come uppence some got away with it .I sdo look at trhat yeare with a lot of fondness and very good memories .ther are allso a few bad ones as well and a few i would gladly see dead for what they did (not to me )to other boys .But it made me what i am today :D :D :D

tedbungy

Badgeman
ANGWISH said:
tedbungy said:
June 71 to this day i cant work out why i stuck it, but glad i did. there was a roof runner and green gilbert. and there was bullying but it did change you for the better

Hi "ted", i joined in june 71 as well, ended up in Benbow 36 mess, comms class, where did you end up?

Opps Frobisher 150 class near the bottom of the long covered way

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I was in Fearless division halfway up the long covered way, enjoyed my time there but always remember having to run up and down the long covered way in my (mandatory) jimjams with a matteress on my back for being caught "slack hammocks" and having to sew my pockets up for being repeatedly caught with my hands in my pockets. It was 40 stitches to the inch and the barsteward counted them as well :lol:

tommo

War Hero
WreckerL said:
but always remember having to run up and down the long covered way in my (mandatory) jimjams with a matteress on my back for being caught "slack hammocks"

Although I wasn't at Ganges, I however did see a same thing happen in the Late 90's at Raleigh, a guy in my division got caught with his napper down going for the golden pillow award and therefore had to run around the quadrangle with his fully made bed on his back after which he then had to get into his pit and be read a bed time story in front of everyone lol

Probably can't do that nowadays due to bullying, however he never did it again lol

Rumrat

War Hero
tommo said:
WreckerL said:
but always remember having to run up and down the long covered way in my (mandatory) jimjams with a matteress on my back for being caught "slack hammocks"

Although I wasn't at Ganges, I however did see a same thing happen in the Late 90's at Raleigh, a guy in my division got caught with his napper down going for the golden pillow award and therefore had to run around the quadrangle with his fully made bed on his back after which he then had to get into his pit and be read a bed time story in front of everyone lol

Probably can't do that nowadays due to bullying, however he never did it again lol

I was not at Ganges but having read the post's on this thread look at the place with a new perspective. It is described in a far different way than I ever imagined from "Hear say".
It is IMHO always sad when the end of an era is reached, and although "Progress" is a necessity, I sometimes consider a lot of change if not for financial effectiveness, is change for change sake.
I also think that ( HERE COMES THE CONTRAVERSY) as we progress and things improve, food, comforts, material baggage, that people are becoming softer in character generally. And not just the young before you start shouting.
I was told recently that squaddies train in trainers when running and doing assault courses. If true what the F for. Are they wearing them in Afghan?
Its like training to ride a horse whilst sitting on a fence. And if that is how they are trained, why?
As an ex Raleigh rating ( Anson and Grenville 1965 ) I never thought on joining my first ship that I was as clued up as the Ganges folk.
I did 1 week new entry, 6weeks part one and then 6weeks part two ( Sand scratcher) 6weeks at Cambridge and then off to the far flung. Sorry I did two weeks sea training in Ulster. (Ship) not country for the sake of baby sailors.
The only thing I was over the moon about then was getting a GSM for doing absolutely sweet FA.
My wife watched Thing's DVD of Raleigh and was over the moon that it was "Exactly as I remember it ".1984 she was there.
The DVD upset me as it was a Foreign port to me . No wooden huts, I only recognised the Parade ground and the sea boat. Even that was a far cry from when I was there..... it was.....".Turns for lowering" its bastard electric davits now.
Anyway such is life, but I can empathise with all who read "Jossman's " piece with a lump in the throat and a wet eye lid. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh and slack hammock at Raleigh??
They carried the whole bed out and placed it in the road . 8O

Rumrat, you need to watch the BBC's 'Youngest Sailors': wooden huts, wooden masts, wooden benches...... Anyone watching the original back in 1960 (Nutty?) must have thought:

That's Ganges place looks fun! Let's join up! :razz:

:lol:

Rumrat

War Hero
thingy said:
Rumrat, you need to watch the BBC's 'Youngest Sailors': wooden huts, wooden masts, wooden benches...... Anyone watching the original back in 1960 (Nutty?) must have thought:

That's Ganges place looks fun! Let's join up! :razz:

:lol:

Aw gimme a break Thing I just finish learning to join my letters up :oops:

Dabtoe

Midshipman
I was St Vincent Blake 427 entry in 1961, and yes the regime was harsh to all 15 year old lads straight out of school. Both establishments however achieved their aim in turning boys into Matelots who could join a ship and immediately integrate themselves with a Ships Company though we all had a lot still to learn. I remember the culture shock of walking through the Main Gate on the first day and thinking what have I let myself in for and the pride of marching through the gate on my way to Cambridge 12 months later with the advice of our PO Instructor still in my head that the object of all the training was to produce the future Senior Rates for the RN.There was a certain amount of bullying but this was mainly amongst the Nozzers and I never heard of any from Instructors and most that dished it out eventually got thier come uppance. When I look back I remember the place with fondness and It moulded me into what I am today.

tedbungy

Badgeman
My son lives near by and on a vist just before Cristmas we went for a look.
The old place is in a right state even the mast is falling apart. I met a guy walking around, he was there in the 1950s.

It was very windy that day and i must admit the wind made my eyes water just a bit

Latest Threads