Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is Ganges so emotive?

tommo

War Hero
WreckerL said:
but always remember having to run up and down the long covered way in my (mandatory) jimjams with a matteress on my back for being caught "slack hammocks"

Although I wasn't at Ganges, I however did see a same thing happen in the Late 90's at Raleigh, a guy in my division got caught with his napper down going for the golden pillow award and therefore had to run around the quadrangle with his fully made bed on his back after which he then had to get into his pit and be read a bed time story in front of everyone lol

Probably can't do that nowadays due to bullying, however he never did it again lol

Rumrat

War Hero
tommo said:
WreckerL said:
but always remember having to run up and down the long covered way in my (mandatory) jimjams with a matteress on my back for being caught "slack hammocks"

Although I wasn't at Ganges, I however did see a same thing happen in the Late 90's at Raleigh, a guy in my division got caught with his napper down going for the golden pillow award and therefore had to run around the quadrangle with his fully made bed on his back after which he then had to get into his pit and be read a bed time story in front of everyone lol

Probably can't do that nowadays due to bullying, however he never did it again lol

I was not at Ganges but having read the post's on this thread look at the place with a new perspective. It is described in a far different way than I ever imagined from "Hear say".
It is IMHO always sad when the end of an era is reached, and although "Progress" is a necessity, I sometimes consider a lot of change if not for financial effectiveness, is change for change sake.
I also think that ( HERE COMES THE CONTRAVERSY) as we progress and things improve, food, comforts, material baggage, that people are becoming softer in character generally. And not just the young before you start shouting.
I was told recently that squaddies train in trainers when running and doing assault courses. If true what the F for. Are they wearing them in Afghan?
Its like training to ride a horse whilst sitting on a fence. And if that is how they are trained, why?
As an ex Raleigh rating ( Anson and Grenville 1965 ) I never thought on joining my first ship that I was as clued up as the Ganges folk.
I did 1 week new entry, 6weeks part one and then 6weeks part two ( Sand scratcher) 6weeks at Cambridge and then off to the far flung. Sorry I did two weeks sea training in Ulster. (Ship) not country for the sake of baby sailors.
The only thing I was over the moon about then was getting a GSM for doing absolutely sweet FA.
My wife watched Thing's DVD of Raleigh and was over the moon that it was "Exactly as I remember it ".1984 she was there.
The DVD upset me as it was a Foreign port to me . No wooden huts, I only recognised the Parade ground and the sea boat. Even that was a far cry from when I was there..... it was.....".Turns for lowering" its bastard electric davits now.
Anyway such is life, but I can empathise with all who read "Jossman's " piece with a lump in the throat and a wet eye lid. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh and slack hammock at Raleigh??
They carried the whole bed out and placed it in the road . 8O

Rumrat, you need to watch the BBC's 'Youngest Sailors': wooden huts, wooden masts, wooden benches...... Anyone watching the original back in 1960 (Nutty?) must have thought:

That's Ganges place looks fun! Let's join up! :razz:

:lol:

Rumrat

War Hero
thingy said:
Rumrat, you need to watch the BBC's 'Youngest Sailors': wooden huts, wooden masts, wooden benches...... Anyone watching the original back in 1960 (Nutty?) must have thought:

That's Ganges place looks fun! Let's join up! :razz:

:lol:

Aw gimme a break Thing I just finish learning to join my letters up :oops:

Dabtoe

Midshipman
I was St Vincent Blake 427 entry in 1961, and yes the regime was harsh to all 15 year old lads straight out of school. Both establishments however achieved their aim in turning boys into Matelots who could join a ship and immediately integrate themselves with a Ships Company though we all had a lot still to learn. I remember the culture shock of walking through the Main Gate on the first day and thinking what have I let myself in for and the pride of marching through the gate on my way to Cambridge 12 months later with the advice of our PO Instructor still in my head that the object of all the training was to produce the future Senior Rates for the RN.There was a certain amount of bullying but this was mainly amongst the Nozzers and I never heard of any from Instructors and most that dished it out eventually got thier come uppance. When I look back I remember the place with fondness and It moulded me into what I am today.

tedbungy

Badgeman
My son lives near by and on a vist just before Cristmas we went for a look.
The old place is in a right state even the mast is falling apart. I met a guy walking around, he was there in the 1950s.

It was very windy that day and i must admit the wind made my eyes water just a bit

mrrmw

Brought back some great memories. Thanks for posting your thoughts, I was there in 1968 and had a great time!

Sumo

War Hero
not seen this thread before, but reading he first post brings back memories, I was a 6 week wonder boy, back in 74. Met Faith Hope & Charity many times not with a 4.5 shell, but with a type writer. I can remember climbing the mast to the cross bar under the button, and touched the button as high as i was allowed to go, on Sunday morning access. I had been a good standard rock climber and wondered how the hell did they swing onto the button, must have been part monkey? He'll of a good view from up there, when I came down a PTI said if I had been a long stayer at Ganges he would have had me on the button? Not sure on that?
that was followed by 10 months in Collingrad, lots of buffers party, had a great time there, rugby, shooting, brick woods FG, assault course team, Whale boat pulling team, memories which are still so clear in my aging mind:)

ganges72

I loved the sport as I boxed played football and I even liked the cross country in fact I loved the gym.......perhaps not starching all my P.E.GEAR and WHITENING those PLIMSOLES! Only PT INSTRUCTORS I remember was TUG WILSON & am not sure a PTI FOX? I could be wrong and believe it or not I could not SWIM when I joined....I soon learned how to! Now I don't know if it was down to the PTIs or just being seen in that costume with the floats all around.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Ganges Boys Kit 1945. A bit different from today History 28
M Ganges old boys 1963 History 0
Jack-The-Lad HMS GANGES - Still serving Bases / Shore Est 15
J Ganges Blake Division 98 recruitment Social & Reunions 0
G HMS Ganges Jan 1968, Grenville Division. Social & Reunions 2
C Ganges sign up Site Issues 2
A HMS Ganges History 4
soleil Photos Of HMS Ganges Bases / Shore Est 0
S Looking for old Ganges oppo Nearest & Dearest 1
soleil HMS Ganges, Baked Beans, Bread Pudding and .... Pigs Bases / Shore Est 17
B Ganges Bases / Shore Est 1
BillyNoMates What it looked like from the top of Ganges Mast. History 31
Canaldrifter Ganges images History 8
soleil New book by Ted Macey, HMS Ganges PTI: "Jack the Lad RN" The Quarterdeck 0
Binnie Ganges pre-war History 2
scouse Ganges mast one for Thingy Bases / Shore Est 4
andym Ganges Graffiti History 5
andym HMS Ganges. Bases / Shore Est 8
Polycell Ganges or St Vincent Bases / Shore Est 52
sgtpepperband Ganges Sex Religion Stokers Diamond Lil's 53
J Ganges website The Quarterdeck 3
O HMS Ganges History 12
Tanzi Ganges mast Bases / Shore Est 20
clanky MOD censorship of gay Ganges Norman Arthur iPod The Quarterdeck 7
T Clive - Webmaster - HMS Ganges Association History 0
navyeo60 Button Boy Ganges....... The Movie History 4