Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is Ganges so emotive?

Jacque-le-douste said:
I was in the same mess as Nutty & slept at the end that contained the hand job bosun.
I always dip out when anything like that goes on.!

I did not even know there was a hand job bosun until you told me forty years later.

Nutty

clanky said:
Ganges emotive..................thank god we moved on.

What ? you mean 'move on ' like Deepcut Barracks ? -- I don't recall anyone being shot to death in Ganges.

yes, there was, probably, bullying going on, but you stood up for yourselves.

I don't think it was any other different from other basic training establishments, of all services, at that time.

The same could, and has, been stated about the National Service training (seen Bad Lad's Army on TV ?).

Instead of some posters slagging off any of the training establishments, and in particular Gspot,, why not get involved in discussions about whether they were good or bad for whoever tarined at them?

I, on reflection, enjoyed my time there; expeds, wearing blues to town, sea training etc ( the only 'bad' point being that the Reg staff knew my old man who was a Crusher there in the year before I joined :shock: ), and probably also experienced what is now termed 'bullying' by the pussies in today's society - it makes you wonder if ever any of our service people that get captured by an enemy force (think Cornwall & the ipod here) that these enemy forces will worry about 'bullying' our people ? Somehow I think not.
It was different life then, life was harder, less money about (though it was worth a lot more than today) and most of us didn't think much about the so-called bullying aspect of life then.

But I have no doubt that some will disagree, but that's freedom of speech - at least until this government puts out more directives !!

:|

whitemouse said:
clanky said:
Ganges emotive..................thank god we moved on.

What ? you mean 'move on ' like Deepcut Barracks ? -- I don't recall anyone being shot to death in Ganges.

yes, there was, probably, bullying going on, but you stood up for yourselves.

I don't think it was any other different from other basic training establishments, of all services, at that time.

The same could, and has, been stated about the National Service training (seen Bad Lad's Army on TV ?).

Instead of some posters slagging off any of the training establishments, and in particular Gspot,, why not get involved in discussions about whether they were good or bad for whoever tarined at them?

I, on reflection, enjoyed my time there; expeds, wearing blues to town, sea training etc ( the only 'bad' point being that the Reg staff knew my old man who was a Crusher there in the year before I joined :shock: ), and probably also experienced what is now termed 'bullying' by the pussies in today's society - it makes you wonder if ever any of our service people that get captured by an enemy force (think Cornwall & the ipod here) that these enemy forces will worry about 'bullying' our people ? Somehow I think not.
It was different life then, life was harder, less money about (though it was worth a lot more than today) and most of us didn't think much about the so-called bullying aspect of life then.

But I have no doubt that some will disagree, but that's freedom of speech - at least until this government puts out more directives !!

:|

Only came across one case of bullying as such at Ganges and it was dealt with toot sweet.Their feet didnt touch the deck as they were whisked away to learn the errors of their ways.

We did have a case of Black magic worship in our mess and they were kicked out within days.
They had drawn loads of signs and symbols on the drying room floor and cut up a chicken etc.
Silly boys crashed out without cleaning up after themselves and were caught by the PO in the morning.

Happened in 71 if anybody remembers that incident.

War Hero
whitemouse said:

In part the place has been closed for over thirty years now, so most of what's heard has the luxury of rose tinting and memories tending to emphasise the better side of things. It's also very rare to hear from people for whom it didn't work. A number of people have referred to the attrition rate, clearly it wasn't right for a great many of those who walked through the gates.

Steve has also referred at different times to the rates of self-harming in the establishment, the fact those rates are recorded could reasonably be considered a good thing, although it would be interesting to know whether they reflected the rates in the wider population.

But you're right, it was very much a product of it's time. I have seen references which suggest that it outlived it's usefulness.

I have a feeling that there is a lot of nostalgia about it because it doesn't exist any more, people can look back and their memories can't be tarnished by the realities of how it may have evolved.

Nutty said:
Jacque-le-douste said:
I was in the same mess as Nutty & slept at the end that contained the hand job bosun.
I always dip out when anything like that goes on.!

I did not even know there was a hand job bosun until you told me forty years later.

Nutty

Probably becuase he didn't accompany you on your training week to Kiel. I'm sure he compensated the other lads on their slightly less than exciting trip on the oggin. ;)

whitemouse said:

A Boy was bayonetted to death there a few years before your time*, but it was (allegedly) an accident.

There were also a number of deaths which occured due to punitive zealotry (stand fast Sarge!) such as a boy who suffered sudden heart failure after running up and down Faith, Hope and Charity for almost an hour without any break, in 1948. It is touched on in Douglas's memoir: HMS Ganges: Roll on my time. There were questions in Parliament and some damning reports in the red tops (eg Daily Wail) and the Admiralty were forced to allow a one minute break every ten minutes thereafter.

Then there was the boy who fainted (he suffered from undiagnosed syncope) in the swimming pool in 1948 (Boy Lindsey) during extra swimming tuition because he was "afraid of the water". There is a discrepancy between what the officer present told the Coroner (Mr Justice Butterfield) and eyewitness accounts by some other boys present, who were, I understand, forbidden to give evidence.** This too caused ructions in Parliament and beyond.

Most critisism, both in the media and in Parliament, of the Ganges regime, from the 1880s until 1968 resulted from the barbaric practice of birching & (after the abolition of the former in 1928) caning. Fortunately, following a campaign by the Daily Wail (they're not all bad, you see :roll: ) and political pressure on Harold Wilson to put a stop to this practice, it was formally abolished in 1967.

*I recall it took place in the 1930s. I read about it somewhere, possibly in 'Tales of the Trogs'. The Ganges boys also took a pot shot as a member of the Royal Observer Corps in the 1930s! We used to have an aircraft spotting post nearby. :lol:

**Mr Butterfield did actually receive testimony from boys present (according to the Times report of the hearing) which conflicted with the statements by their fellow students. The dispute arises over whether Lindsey simply fainted or was exhausted and continually pushed away from the edge of the pool by the PO Instructor. Next year the Coroner's Report will be available for public scrutiny, under the 100 Year Rule. I want to read it in full next year.

Right, off to hug a tree! Head down, awaiting incoming..... ^_^;

Hi Steve,

A couple were bayoneted when I was there in 62, but that was probably because they didn't heed the drill instructor, or thought they knew better.

Also, we were all told in the Annex that if you got through the year without the 'cuts' you were doing well - truth was that only the real 'hard cases' (or who thought they were .. ;) ) received six of the best in the Reg Office.
When I did No 9s, I was always sent there, because of the old man's time there as a Reggie, and could hear the occasional swish and splat, sometimes accompanied by the squeal - TF I was never on the receiving end of the dreaded cane !!

I did hear about a drowning and of the ghost that allegedly dropped in the poolduring the dark hours, and I must admit that the PTIs did do the pole push away from hanging on the side of the pool to me, all it did was force me to doggie paddle like fcuk to stop from going under. But anyone in difficulty was allowed to gtab the pole and was hauled from the pool tout de suite.

I'm not saying that bullying didn't happen, I just don't think it was as bad as some would like to think.

You don't hear much of rabid lesbianism at Dauntless, or so I had heard from a Jenny or two ?

:)

Karma said:
[........................I have a feeling that there is a lot of nostalgia about it because it doesn't exist any more, people can look back and their memories can't be tarnished by the realities of how it may have evolved.

I agree with you, how many times has one of us heard from our parents about the 'good old days' and we have inwardly groaned or muttered about 'silly old sods' ???

In years to come, I would not mind betting that the current ratings serving in the Andrew will probably tell their offspring of the harrowing, tough, six week training they had to endure.

But I bet they'll still say (some of them) that it was the best time of their lives they had !

whitemouse said:
I did hear about a drowning and of the ghost that allegedly dropped in the poolduring the dark hours, and I must admit that the PTIs did do the pole push away from hanging on the side of the pool to me, all it did was force me to doggie paddle like fcuk to stop from going under. But anyone in difficulty was allowed to gtab the pole and was hauled from the pool tout de suite.

I know about this ghosty thing as I probably saw it in 2002: I am assuming that it was the boy in a white suit who ran past me and straight through the solid, padlocked doors! o_O Then again, I thought all non-swimmers had to wear cork lifebelts, and the "ghost" wasn't! Of course, as a rationalist, I know there's a perfectly rational explanation for what I saw. Too much teetotaling....... ;)

You don't hear much of rabid lesbianism at Dauntless, or so I had heard from a Jenny or two ?

I thought it was a qualifying condition of joining the forces! :twisted: If it had been rampant, surely all the ex-matelots here who drool in their posts about watching rugmuncher sex, would have all found a reason to be posted there? :lol: Happy sailors, unhappy carpeteaters?

Karma said:
Steve has also referred at different times to the rates of self-harming in the establishment, the fact those rates are recorded could reasonably be considered a good thing, although it would be interesting to know whether they reflected the rates in the wider population.

The self harming rates were highest before the Donaldson Report (1969-70) was acted upon, which allowed unhappy juniors to leave the RN rather than having to do their time/go on the Run, etc.

Interestingly the incidence of self-harm at Shotley Gate decreased to nil following the G Spot's closure! :lol:

Steve/Thingy

theGimpMK2 said:
Sounds shoite, I bet you all pissed your beds and cried yourselves to sleep

Don't get me started......

If they wet their hammocks their oppos sleeping below would get all hot, wet and smelly.. and their matresses would takes ages to dry! o_O

....my very negative opinions of the G Spot owe their revision largely due to Nutty and other RR'ers who clearly ENJOYED their time there. :confused:

;)

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
Feck me read a book,visit a website or two and read a few Parliamentary Reports and he's an expert on the mythical Ganges. Just what is the reason for your bizarre obsession?
Apart of course from your fantasies of 'living' amongst a group of impressionable young men.
Get a grip of yourself.
NZB

NZ_Bootneck said:
Feck me read a book,visit a website or two and read a few Parliamentary Reports and he's an expert on the mythical Ganges.

Mythical? Wot you mean it didn't exist! o_O

Just what is the reason for your bizarre obsession?

Bizarre? One of my relatives was there in the 1920s. Interestingly there were two things he could never discuss: his time as a Japanese PoW (perfectly understandable) and his time in Ganges. Now why should that be?

Apart of course from your fantasies of 'living' amongst a group of impressionable young men.

I hardly think so. I've had hated the place. o_O

Get a grip of yourself.
NZB

Now, now, how could I possibly get a grip of myself? :lol:

FLAGHOIST

Badgeman

On the subject of Ganges Ghosts. When I was there 67/68, there was the story of the ghost from the lad who fell off the Mast and went through the roof of the Post Office. Does anyone remember this story.

Also of the Great Escape. The film, the "Great Escape", was being shown in the Gym one evening. This caused a vast number of the trainees to form an escape committee, and a few days later there was a mass exodus from Ganges, in particular from the lower messes at the bottom of the Long and Short Covered Ways. Planks and ladders were used to scale the high fence along the foreshore, and many made their way on foot. The majority being picked up on route to Ipswich, found crying because they were lost. One lad from our recruitment was found fast a sleep in a bus shelter the following morning by our instructor coming into work at 5am.

Those were the days

Regards, Chris

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
thingy said:
NZ_Bootneck said:

That's why I wrote fantasies.
I'm sure that your relation would be extremely gratified to read your constant inuendoes in regard to Ganges.
NZB

Topstop

War Hero
FLAGHOIST said:

On the subject of Ganges Ghosts. When I was there 67/68, there was the story of the ghost from the lad who fell off the Mast and went through the roof of the Post Office. Does anyone remember this story.

Those were the days

Regards, Chris

I remember there was a patch of different coloured slates on the Post Office roof,about 8`by 5` . We were told it was a PTI who was p*ssed and tried to climb the mast and stand on the button for a bet and got it wrong.

The netting when wet was taught and was like a trampoline, when dry it was saggy with no give so you were suposed to come through like thick chips.

NZ_Bootneck said:
thingy said:
NZ_Bootneck said:

That's why I wrote fantasies.
I'm sure that your relation would be extremely gratified to read your constant inuendoes in regard to Ganges.
NZB

He would probably have suggested it was one of the first candidates for an atomic bomb, after the evil empire of Japan, of course.

...constant inuendoes...

Moi? o_O ..... :oops:

tasape

Midshipman
Such memories
I Dont remember anything bad about Ganges i joined there Nov 2 1971
30 Recruitment Anson 42 Mess down the long Covered Way next door the the steps that led to the Chippys Workshop Were Known as Artisans Then)and the Churches
The Roof top Runner and i cant remember thr name of the Ghost Green something i think
i remember getting paind in the drill hall and then if your cap was dirty some miserable Gi ripping it on the hooks that supported the roof on the short covered way near to slops hence another 50 Pence spent on a new Cap only 2.50 to last the week now
Yes Ganges will bring back memories to all that served and Trained there
but as i said None of them Bad
Yes i too am a Matloe and proud off it

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Ganges Boys Kit 1945. A bit different from today History 28
M Ganges old boys 1963 History 0
Jack-The-Lad HMS GANGES - Still serving Bases / Shore Est 15
J Ganges Blake Division 98 recruitment Social & Reunions 0
G HMS Ganges Jan 1968, Grenville Division. Social & Reunions 2
C Ganges sign up Site Issues 2
A HMS Ganges History 4
soleil Photos Of HMS Ganges Bases / Shore Est 0
S Looking for old Ganges oppo Nearest & Dearest 1
soleil HMS Ganges, Baked Beans, Bread Pudding and .... Pigs Bases / Shore Est 17
B Ganges Bases / Shore Est 1
BillyNoMates What it looked like from the top of Ganges Mast. History 31
Canaldrifter Ganges images History 8
soleil New book by Ted Macey, HMS Ganges PTI: "Jack the Lad RN" The Quarterdeck 0
Binnie Ganges pre-war History 2
scouse Ganges mast one for Thingy Bases / Shore Est 4
andym Ganges Graffiti History 5
andym HMS Ganges. Bases / Shore Est 8
Polycell Ganges or St Vincent Bases / Shore Est 52
sgtpepperband Ganges Sex Religion Stokers Diamond Lil's 53
J Ganges website The Quarterdeck 3
O HMS Ganges History 12
Tanzi Ganges mast Bases / Shore Est 20
clanky MOD censorship of gay Ganges Norman Arthur iPod The Quarterdeck 7
T Clive - Webmaster - HMS Ganges Association History 0
navyeo60 Button Boy Ganges....... The Movie History 4