Why is Ganges so emotive?

Chris P

War Hero
Me too, yet when the opportunity arose for some flying time no problem with sitting in the door dangling feet in space or winching round the fleet doing the mail run - weird innit?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
As the 'Button Boy' was selected, did they get any briefing as in the excellent dit by skimmer above, or a practise on a 'mock-up'?

Did any potential Button Boy get up there and think 'Nah, sod this for a shilling'! If so, what happened?

Sumo

War Hero
As the 'Button Boy' was selected, did they get any briefing as in the excellent dit by skimmer above, or a practise on a 'mock-up'?

Did any potential Button Boy get up there and think 'Nah, sod this for a shilling'! If so, what happened?
One of my school mates a year above me, went to Ganges as school boy entry, he was button boy but on some big open day display he was binned for some local lad, he was well pissed off, having been up there and touched the button, I would have been well happy not to do it, hell of a view but a kin long way down to the deck.

skimmer114/124

Lantern Swinger
One of my school mates a year above me, went to Ganges as school boy entry, he was button boy but on some big open day display he was binned for some local lad, he was well pissed off, having been up there and touched the button, I would have been well happy not to do it, hell of a view but a kin long way down to the deck.
I never did the display but think that the button boy must have had a good brief, I haven't loaded a link before but the link should be to a vid of the mast.

Sumo

War Hero
I never did the display but think that the button boy must have had a good brief, I haven't loaded a link before but the link should be to a vid of the mast.

looks a bit of a mess, I stood on the cross bar at the top, you then have to monkey climb up to the button, which is now missing. That's when I thought sod that, rock climbing dangerous, but we used safety ropes.

Salty-Dog

War Hero
Unfortunately a bit grainy but ceremony shown here...

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Couldn't work out where long covered way was, I was fearless, first on right.
I was also Fearless Division, 7 mess, near the top of the long covered way. Our division colours were green, hence green T shirts for sports IIRC.