Why is Ganges so emotive?

Sumo

War Hero
not seen this thread before, but reading he first post brings back memories, I was a 6 week wonder boy, back in 74. Met Faith Hope & Charity many times not with a 4.5 shell, but with a type writer. I can remember climbing the mast to the cross bar under the button, and touched the button as high as i was allowed to go, on Sunday morning access. I had been a good standard rock climber and wondered how the hell did they swing onto the button, must have been part monkey? He'll of a good view from up there, when I came down a PTI said if I had been a long stayer at Ganges he would have had me on the button? Not sure on that?
that was followed by 10 months in Collingrad, lots of buffers party, had a great time there, rugby, shooting, brick woods FG, assault course team, Whale boat pulling team, memories which are still so clear in my aging mind:)

ganges72

I loved the sport as I boxed played football and I even liked the cross country in fact I loved the gym.......perhaps not starching all my P.E.GEAR and WHITENING those PLIMSOLES! Only PT INSTRUCTORS I remember was TUG WILSON & am not sure a PTI FOX? I could be wrong and believe it or not I could not SWIM when I joined....I soon learned how to! Now I don't know if it was down to the PTIs or just being seen in that costume with the floats all around.

Fasted

I joined HMS Ganges in July 1971. My new entry block was Leander Mess. I remember Leading Junior Conelly coming in one night standing on a bench and peeing over anyone in reach. I also remember scrubbing the wooden deck using wire wool, with the amount of dust going into the air I collapsed and spent the night in the infirmary. after learning the basics I moved across to Rodney 44 mess. By the time the 3 and 6 month release dates had passed there weren’t many of us left in 26 recruitment. I was learning to be an electrical mechanic learning basic electrics at enright block. The studying was ok, hated orienteering, stories on the roof runner scary. Doubling around everywhere in sports gear, stupid but achieved the fitness aim. Stayed the course. Joined Collingwood, transferred to fleet air arm for better life. Left after 9 years. Got a job in the North Sea. After nine years went to Oman with Royal Flight as engineering officer. Left after 18 years. Went offshore again working in SAR. Left after 8 years. Changed to coast guard helicopters at Prestwick. Left in 2019 after sight deterioration. Retired now.

I joined Ganges In March 1959 as a Junior Stoker. Love it or hate it, you will never forget your time there and always have the satisfaction of surviving the place. I thought it was hard, but not impossible.

skimmer114/124

Lantern Swinger
not seen this thread before, but reading he first post brings back memories, I was a 6 week wonder boy, back in 74. Met Faith Hope & Charity many times not with a 4.5 shell, but with a type writer. I can remember climbing the mast to the cross bar under the button, and touched the button as high as i was allowed to go, on Sunday morning access. I had been a good standard rock climber and wondered how the hell did they swing onto the button, must have been part monkey? He'll of a good view from up there, when I came down a PTI said if I had been a long stayer at Ganges he would have had me on the button? Not sure on that?
that was followed by 10 months in Collingrad, lots of buffers party, had a great time there, rugby, shooting, brick woods FG, assault course team, Whale boat pulling team, memories which are still so clear in my aging mind:)
to mount the button, use both hands to haul yourself up enough to get an arm across the top, keep the lightning conductor on the far side, bear down with your elbows then belly across just enough to get one leg over the top to one side of the conductor at this point you are running out of room ! get the other leg settled on the other side of lc, breathe. To stand up place hands between your knees and raise yourself leaning to one side until one knee is on top of the button, lean other way place other knee (the conductor is essential as balance assistance). Now the fun bit, draw one leg up and forward and plant foot, repeat, stand up gripping conductor between legs, It reached just below my knees ending in a spike. Enjoy the view and consider 'did someone actually fall off, hit the net and go through the Regulating office roof' May '70.

Chris P

War Hero
to mount the button, use both hands to haul yourself up enough to get an arm across the top, keep the lightning conductor on the far side, bear down with your elbows then belly across just enough to get one leg over the top to one side of the conductor at this point you are running out of room ! get the other leg settled on the other side of lc, breathe. To stand up place hands between your knees and raise yourself leaning to one side until one knee is on top of the button, lean other way place other knee (the conductor is essential as balance assistance). Now the fun bit, draw one leg up and forward and plant foot, repeat, stand up gripping conductor between legs, It reached just below my knees ending in a spike. Enjoy the view and consider 'did someone actually fall off, hit the net and go through the Regulating office roof' May '70.
'kin ell, makes me feel crook just to read about it let alone do it!!

Sumo

War Hero
6 weekend, were allowed to climb mast on as Sunday, I put my hand on the button and wondered how the hell, used to be a rock climber, hence head for heights.

Waspie

War Hero
6 weekend, were allowed to climb mast on as Sunday, I put my hand on the button and wondered how the hell, used to be a rock climber, hence head for heights.
The only way I would touch the button would happen if they took it off and placed it on the deck!!!! No head for heights!!!!!!