Why Have so Few Post WWII RM Novels Been Written?

Discussion in 'Social & Reunions' started by exspy, May 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gentlemen,

I realize that out here in the colonies, as it were, we may not be as well read as our Imperial cousins, but I have to bring up the fact that I can think of only three novels having to do with the post Second World War RM that I have seen in my lifetime. They are;

"The Conscripts" (1968) by Walter Winward,

"For Campaign Service" (1979) by Christopher Hawke, and finally

"Reflected Glory" (1990) by Carney Lake.

Is this the lot or have I missed out on others now that WH Smith no longer brings out the Best of Britain to Canada? I have seen one brief mention of Lake's book in a thread on The Corps blog, but other than the two books written by Steven Preece aka Greendeath (which I have never seen over here and seem to elicit a lot of controversy) nothing else is mentioned.

Now to be fair I have read a lot of RM history which I have enjoyed, however there is nothing like a good historical novel to bring characters and events to life.

Are there any that I have missed, or will I have to continue to read novels written by former British soldiers, sailors and airmen only?
  2. Douglas Reeman did a series of novels which began in the Crimea and ended with the Falklands War in '82 about the menfolk of a family who all serve in the RM. I have only read the first 2, OK, Mr Reeman does get a bit formulaic for my tastes, still probably does a better job than I could so...you pays your money and takes your choice
    They are;
    Badge Of Glory... published '82
    First To Land ... " '84
    The Horizon ... " '93
    Dust On The Sea.. " '99
    Knife Edge ... " '04
    You should be able to get them from your local library or from Amazon, best of luck and good

3. Geen Death Get a life
    And a real friend.
  4. Why Have so Few Post WWII RM Novels Been Written?

I hope you realise that some cad will say that it is because none of you can read or write. :thumright:
  5. Because Less survived!!

And they did not want to talk about it!!!
  6. This is true although Tom Sharpe, Blot On the Landscape, Wilt, Porterhouse Blue etc was a National Service RM I believe, so at least one of us got through with a semblance of a brain. :thumright:
  7. I had no idea he was a ex Booty!!

Brilliant Books!!!
  8. Also writes as Alexander Kent in the Bolitho novels where all the booties are pristine scarlet clad, & blancoed warriors who defend the Captain/Admiral at all the major battles.
    Having said that, I enjoy all his books, bootie or jack.

9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The 'Halberdiers' in Evelyn Waugh's 'Men at Arms' in his 'Sword of Honour' trilogy are the Royal Marines. The novel is based on EW's recruitment into the RM at Chatham and then his experiences on the Dakar expedition. EW was nearly not on Dakar as he had been sacked by the CO of 1RM for bawling out a senior NCO in front of his men. However to the CO's chagrin London sent EW back to his unit just before it sailed.

Eventually the RM dumped EW and the other two novels of the trilogy relate to his further career including EW's adventures in Crete.
  10. In the service of the sultan - A first hand account of the Dhofar Insurgency

"A book on a little-known area of British military history is always welcome, but when such a book, written by an ex-Brigadier from the Royal Marines, has a foreword written by a serving Air Chief Marshal you realise that this is likely to be something out of the ordinary — and In the service of the sultan certainly does not disappoint."

Am reading it at present, will let you know what its like
  11. Ex Spy: I would recommend Simon Bywater's novel: Honourable Retribution. I reviewed the raw manuscript for him and thought it was a great read. See link: