Why does the Navy have marines on ships?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by NotmeChief, May 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So the Officers have some one to dance with
    :p :D
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

3. Tis true. Much like the reason most jacks are aboard, to chip the paint.
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

So the navy has a reason to exist. :twisted:
  5. tis so us matelots can realise how well we did on the RT scores.

Royal - brave as a lion, hard as granite, thick as a whale omelette.

I am genuinely joking. I went to the RM Museum at Eastney earlier today and had a lump in my throat, esp in the new Afghanistan wing. Royal does the jobs we don't do very well, i.e anything that involves picking up small arms.

As the saying goes, the most dangerous thing on earth is a matelot with a gun!
  6. sgtpepperband

Well of course you know that after being shot on 21 Oct 1805, Admiral Lord Nelson was carried down below to HMS Victory's Orlop Deck by a Royal Marines Sergeant-Major (assisted by two seamen). And it has often been said that the Royal Marines have been carrying the Royal Navy ever since... :twisted: :wink:
  7. Speed of a RACE HORSE
    Strength of a CART HORSE
    Brains of a ROCKING HORSE

Royal Marine
  8. sgtpepperband

9. :wink: :wink: :wink: Someone has to be Cable party!!!!!!
  10. Heart of a lion.

"What instrument do you play"??? :roll:

"A Matelots head...........wanna play"!!!! :lol: :p :p
  11. If not sailors might be required to fight, and that just wouldn't be cricket old chap!
  12. Talking the talk, as usual.

"Ooh, look at my muscles."

Marine - One up the gene pool from a Navy Diver or a Clubswinger.
  13. Usually messed in the "Marine Barracks" between mutinous Jack and the wardroom to protect the pigs.
  14. It's a dirty job but someones got to do it.
    Feeling the lurve from paintchippers, blanket stackers, barrack stanchions, branch swappers and those who snipe from the safety of the interweb. :D

Carry on.
  15. Got 120 of them on board at the moment and quite happy to tell them all that they are good at DHP
  16. On Port visits, you just never know when you might need a smart turnout with some passable Foot/Arms Drill.
  17. :roll: Got to have someone to supervise dishing out the Rum Ration,'Sandy Bottoms'.Aye jr
  18. Marines are needed to protect the Matelots from unbalanced (skimmer) officers and the dreaded sadistic crushers (stand fast Sarge: I know you're only a Soft-n-Fluffy-Play-Crusher ;) ) hunting for wretched, frightened baby sailors to torment. o_O

Marines are also needed to play live music at officers' cocktail parties, bolster the size of the shrinking ship's compliment, make the matelots feel good by repeatedly loosing at Uckers, and taking up deck space that would otherwise be occupied by Wafoos (in their deckchairs) and Stokers (on their brightly coloured bathing towels) bronzing their torsos on what little free deck space remaining. :lol:

Also think how much less interesting life would be without Blobbs and his merry band of Royals! :cuddle:
  19. sgtpepperband

How very dare you! I'm Hard 'n' Rough, I'll have you know... :x :lol:
  20. Oh the fucking irony.