Why does RR get 'daft questions' from potential recruits.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by nobby0919, Apr 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I do one day a week in a secondary school metalwork class,and over the 10 years or so I have observed the following.
    1) Kids arrive from primary school unable to add/subtract/divide etc.
    2) Unable use English properly, spell and punctuate.
    3)The inherent way they are taught at primary level,is all positive spin-- not criticism or the fact ,heaven forbid that they might actually FAIL something.

4)So , coming in with the above baggage, the secondary school system ( which is much about "results" and league tables)teaches to those demands.
    5)Children thus do not listen,etc, because teacher will do it for them.
    6) In doing homework, much is regurgitated internet-- quiz a kid on some erudite bit of paper & he /she has not a clue what it actually is about.
    7)The main group I go in to help out is the GCSE years and the 6th form A level ,and here they still cannot do rough calculations on a scrap of paper,or string a sentence together , ---- innit.
    8)Now I see young teachers who cannot spell properly, etc.

The above is in no particular order.To me it seems that a generation of children have been bought up who :
    1) Know their human rights.
    2) Have not much idea of the responsibilities that go with having said rights.
    3) The failure to discipline at home,school etc, leaves them with no personal boundaries.
    4)If the above 3 points are in place then one major result is a lack of personal self worth or esteem.

So there you have it , a 16 year old ,who can use a puter( IE ,knows how to copy/paste),text message till their thumbs fall off,uses enough hair gel to launch the Titanic,enough body spray to make the school premises a no go zone for pigeons, gets serious street cred stress about irons and luggage............

One dit -- Master asks a kid who he is,"Metalwork master,sir", points to me-who is he,"Metalwork masters assistant ,sir", points to another teacher - who is he then,"Mr Smith sir,woodwork master who doesn't know anything". (apologises in advance to anyone name of Smith)
    Out of the mouths etc etc
    However if you want a kid to learn PROPER metalwork,I could tell you where the best school for that is (in Hertfordshire)

One sided maybe,there are kids who can DO,but not as many as there should be.
  2. The answer to Life, the universe and everything is definitely not 42 *hitchhikers guide to the universe)
    It is Social security. The sooner it is radically overhauled and once again becomes an aid for times of difficulty instead of a crutch for the lazy, thick and incompetent the better.
    Too many realise that they can go from the cradle to the grave without doing a stroke of work.
    If people had to work they may pay attention to education, if only as a means to earning
  3. Some very good points there and alas, so very true it hurts.

As an instructor here at Collingwood it never ceases to amaze me how many of my 'students' cannot spell at all and in most cases, use text language.

Getting them to offset radio frequencies is almost like teaching them rocket science, I kid you not. How hard is it to take 1.8 kHz away from a given frequency? Very hard it would appear and I even had one lad who could not take away 1 kHz from a given frequency.

The fact which really amazes me is that most of them have about 5 or 6 GCSEs and yet they cannot spell or master simple maths.

Still, at least the Governments figures for schools churning out bright young things is being upheld and how could I question such brilliance. ;-)
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I sympathise - my bezzie winger is teaching ASW there, and is keen to get back to sea, just so he can do his job rather than teach numpties... :oops:

But can you substantiate the rumour that Instructors are 'encouraged' by course planners to pass weak students in order to maintain good training statistics, thus relying on ship's SRs and LHs to teach them the vital skills (OJT) they should have learned prior to leaving Part II/III Training? :?
  5. I cannot confirm or deny that rumour, but I have my own feelings and I will let you guess what they are???? :thumright:
  6. It's all about targets folks - everything has one. The target is paramount - nothing else matters.

We need x% of school children to get 5 Cs at GCSE.

Result: x% get 5 Cs because if the education system fails them, then it is a tacit admission that the education system has failed. It's the same in Collingwood - if you are failing people then, instead of accepting you are teaching a bunch of numptes, it will be inferred that the training system is at fault.
  7. If only they were taught how to actually focus their attention on a specific subject/matter for more than 2 minutes they might stand a chance of learning something.. Thats why in the "old days" windows in schools were up at ceiling height, so the pupils would focus on the lesson and not be distracted by anything outside of the classroom.
  8. sgtpepperband

Sorry, Dhoby_Bucket: what did you say..? :oops: :? :wink:
  9. Re: Why does RR get 'daft questions' from potential recruit

Having started it,I now add my last two pennorth.
    A maths teacher(of 25 years standing) I know,who had a class of total wallies,was told when the horrible results emerged ,"You have failed your children".
    The head who said that ,when first seen by me at the school, was walking round with a black plastic bag picking up litter during break time.
    He did improve though -- at the last he used gloves, a plastic bag and a grandma type remote tongs.
    He was seting an example apparently..........
  10. certainly doesnt happen at Sultan wafu school - here if the fail an exam then the divisional system jumps in and puts them right, fail a couple more and out you go back to civvy for tiffs or off the relevant career course for PO/LAET's.

alright you still have some "constructive revision" but nopt the "lets get 'em through any old way"

in fact some instructors make it their mission to be tw*ts
  11. sgtpepperband

FAA, innit?! :wink:
  12. Do they know the difference between 1 Hz, 1 KHz and 1 MHz? :lol:

That Hertz isn't a car hiring firm :lol:

The difference between Aerial washing powder and an aerial? ;) ;or that

Morse is not ONLY a fictional Policeman? :biggrin:

...they probably think a signal meter is for measuring the strength of toothpaste! :laughing8:

On a serious note though, I'm beginning to wonder if the Forces, well the RN anyway, need to reintroduce Ganges type training.... just to make the students fit to train! o_O

Right, for saying what I never thought I would say, I'm off to wash my mouth out with pussers hard... brushteeth