Why do we bull our shoes?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by karskin, Sep 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've become that bored on summer leave i decided to sit down and bull my shoes for a few hours, i think i've given myself an RSI...

It got me thinking, how come in the military we bull shoes? Is there any historical significance behind it or is it just because it looks smart?
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Because I told you to!! :shock: :lol:
  3. How about it being part of the principle of â€if you look after your kit, your kit will look after youâ€.

Also, if you look like a bag of s**t, you’ll you’ll probably be treated as a bag of s**t.
  4. Looks very smart, mainly

It is also a good way of building up a nice layer of waterproof polish on the leather. Not good for Goretex though, quite the opposite.
  5. *looks up from polishing foulie jacket*

Whats that? :D
  6. The Devil/Master makes work for idle Hands!

Hence the need for all that dhobeying, ironing, folding, polishing, painting, re-dhobeying, re-ironing, re-folding, repolishing, repainting, etc, etc. :biggrin:

During WW2, following complaints from civvies who were rationed to something like one polish of shoes a month, the multiple daily polishing of boots was temporarily suspended. It was a disaster. At a stroke half the NCOs were redundant and instead of exhausting the nation's supply of boot polish they had to fight abroad. Happy trainees, happy taxpayers, unhappy NCOs. They took it out on the conscripts and nozzers after the war who spent more time bulling boots than attending classes. The real reason that boys' training lasted 9+ months as against 6 weeks today ( :twisted: ) was that all but 6 weeks was spent doing bull. :roll:
  7. Your telling me! You haven't lived unless you've had to iron creases in pillow cases.
  8. Cleanliness is next to Godliness!!

God is the one who decides if you get a run ashore with ya mates or you stay behind and spit and rub, with elf and safety it is now probably use sterelised water.
  9. Simple answer is because it looks smart,and thats it, 8)
  10. Because toe caps are there(like why mountainers climb mountains)
  11. I don't, I paint mine or pay some JR to do it. Wouldn't want anyone thinking I wasn't making an effort after all.
  12. I don't use iron pillowcases! 8O :wink: Mine are all self-pressing, self-creasing pillowcases.

The iron ring is to stop me wandering off in my sleep.
  13. I prefer the wooden ones in RNDQ's

Trouble was if you rubbed your head on them too much,

FIRE FIRE FIRE. 8O :roll: :D :D
  14. Never knew you had an iron ring. :lol:
  15. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Never been able to get that proper finish, but lucky I was a dab hand with the iron.

16. And me, .......that's what put me in DQ;s the second time, I hit the RPO with a fcuker.

90 aint that long when you say it fast. Thirteen JR's and OD's turned in their pits, and he troops two AB's and a Killick for slack hammock. I was the Hookey. The others walked, he never they carried him out, I never liked RSU or Puma anyways. 8O :wink: :roll:
  17. Seems you were a bit of a rebel in your younger days Mr R rat :D
  18. Shoes should be polished and Boots should be bulled

Do we do it just to give the chip on their shoulder CPOAWT something else to shout at when they are bored, which is most of the time.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
  19. I used to use nail varnish to keep mine sparkling. One coat a year for the Remembrance parade thingy......
  20. Good idea, except most of us don't wear red shoes !!