Why do american marines go hooo raaaaa?

It sounds cool tho doesn't it. When I go to Lympstone to start my training, everytime some tells me to do something i'll go "hooo raaa"

Corporal - "Nailor get down and give me twenty"
Nails - "oooh raaah Corporal"

Nails said:
It sounds cool tho doesn't it. When I go to Lympstone to start my training, everytime some tells me to do something i'll go "hooo raaa"

ARAMARK Supervisior - "Nailor get and clean out the shitters"
Nails - "oooh raaah Boss"

Fixed it for you…

Nails said:

Corporal - "Nailor get down and give me twenty"
Nails - "oooh raaah Corporal"
zzzzzzzzz

I thought the Yank marines did it because they could only learn complete sentences one word at a time and they were learning to say "Horaah Henries are our best friends"....

Can I have a try?

Could it be that the septic was shouting " Hooo raaaapppeeeddd myyyyy arseeeeeeee whiile III wassss bendinggggggg overrrrrrr too gettt theeee soappppp"

Just a guess,I'm not great at foreign languages

superpom said:
Mmmmm...I thought it was another way of shouting into the big white telephone..... 8) ....opposed to 'Geeeeoorge...which is so English.... :)
Not in South London English, we refer to him at Hugh i.e. Huuuuugh-eeeeeeeeeeeeee! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Nutty

sweetpea

Lantern Swinger
The serious answer to Nails question is perhaps Hooo-Rah is a rallying cry used by the USMC - maybe an updated version of Lt. Col. Carlson's Gung-Ho that was used as a rallying cry by the 2nd Marine Raiders Battalion during WWII.

SP.

Edited to say: If you want to know the real answer, ask a US Marine, so I did!
He said...
"It is said as an acknowledgment of orders but with more enthusiasm than a simple yes sir.
The navy says Hoo Rah. The Marines actually say ooh rah, and the Army just says huah."

Jimmy_Green said:
Nothing wrong with NCIS.

Ziva...Mmmmmmmm :love4:
By strange coincidence I watched NCIS last night and a marine did say hoo raaa OK?

Now as Jimmy mentioned Ziva :shaking2: :downtown:
are we going off thread ? Is it being racist to dribble over a Jewish girl ?