Why did you join?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Seaweed, Dec 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. To see the world

2. To beat the sh#t out of the Queen's enemies

0 vote(s)
  3. To learn a trade/acquire skills

0 vote(s)
  4. To escape from home/town

0 vote(s)
  5. Uniform, tradition etc

0 vote(s)
  6. To put my life right

0 vote(s)
  7. Sailing, sport, adventure

0 vote(s)
  8. Other (please feel free to add details as reply)

0 vote(s)
  1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Why did you join? Post a verbal reply if you wish but please VOTE first. Top reason only of course, understand most will have mixed motives in real life. Options aren't in any particular order. Motive for poll, idle curiosity.
  2. I was drawn to it mate. Wanted to do my bit for Queen and Country as corny as that may sound to some :)
  3. Three elder brothers in the mob.
  4. I applied to join the Submarine Service as a J Med Tech (but failed the medical :( ) because I was told that if I wanted to join as a Medical Technician I had the choice of being either a Commando Med Tech or a Submarine Med Tech... and I knew I didn't have what it takes to be a Bootie (I was scared of heights, but not of The Deep!)......

PS: The training took years so I would have been a grown-up by the time I qualified. As I never joined I never grew up! :biggrin:

See, told you so! ;)
  5. Mainly to see the world and experience things I could never manage in my sleepy home town of Hythe in Kent.

Really enjoyed my time in the mob, meeting some wonderful people and I would do it all over again if I had the chance.
  6. Seemed like a good idea at the time, though some say I was hit on the back of the head and when I woke up I was already at sea.

But also a mixture of the choices in the poll.
  7. I followed my Dad and 2 brothers and not do N.S. in the army like my other brother
  8. My father was in the Army and had been some years prior a recruiting Sergeant in an office shared with the RN.
    We were based in Germany and the BAOR mag that came round said that the RN recruiting team was visiting our school, enough said my old man marched his no future son to the interview.
  9. To let the world see me
  10. Because I had a family history in it. The discipline would have been nothing extraordinairy, and, because my parents had died shortly before and I thought it would stop me going off the rails.
    This it did; I had to wait another 20 years for it to really happen!
    Any more questions?
    Whatever your reasons, if you want to, do it, what have you to lose?
  11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I got told if you join the Marines you get to shag loads of dirty, cheap slappers, the only join up info that was true... :dwarf:
  12. Yep, I can see where you are coming from..
  13. Other, I was ex Merchant Navy and missed the work ethic. Seven years of working shoreside taught me everyone has learned to look out for number one and f**k the rest, and that didn't sit well with me. Admittedly this can and does occur in the FAA as well, but they let you come to work pissed as long as they don't know about it and you don't breathe near the pilot.
  14. My Father was in the Merchant Navy during the war.

At 15 I was in a MN officer cadet school however the MN was getting smaller and openings with UK shipping seemed to be very selective.
    So I joined the RN as a boy --never looked back .
    Was a Chief at age 26 !!

:nemo: :nemo: