Why did you join up?

#1
Pretty simple question, i guess the only complication is what you said to the interview ppl and your family/friends different to the real reason?
 
#8
Bergen said:
Geordie88 said:
'the paras knocked me back'

Luckily, I didn't mention this in the interview.
Para Reg does that sometimes if your IQ is a little on the high side. :bball:
ha, that must of been it. Either that or the lads in the mortar sqdrn mustn't have fancied me!
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#9
Geordie88 said:
'the paras knocked me back'

Luckily, I didn't mention this in the interview.
Geordie,

To be completely honest, that's a a first on me! I've heard of failed Royals joining the Paras, but not t'other way around! Doubtless it's happened, but I've never met one.

Do let us know how you get on at Lympstone mate, I'm fascinated!
 
#10
Ninja_Stoker said:
Geordie88 said:
'the paras knocked me back'

Luckily, I didn't mention this in the interview.
Geordie,

To be completely honest, that's a a first on me! I've heard of failed Royals joining the Paras, but not t'other way around! Doubtless it's happened, but I've never met one.

Do let us know how you get on at Lympstone mate, I'm fascinated!
as I mentioned somewhere else, the quacks at Glencorse found fault with the 'liberal' way my GP had scrawled all over my GP form.

Luckily, while I tried to sort this out with my recruiting Sergeant, who's attitude was 'I've already said I think you're a good soldier, but it's not me who's finding fault with your application it's your GP', I got talking to the Royal Marine on the adjacent desk, who just said 'whey, join us!'.

And I did.

Medical tomorrow. My recruiting officer for the Marines is a top bloke, but he's being a bit tempestuous as he claims I've missed appointments (I haven't). Am looking forward to it!
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#11
Geordie88 said:
Medical tomorrow. My recruiting officer for the Marines is a top bloke, but he's being a bit tempestuous as he claims I've missed appointments (I haven't). Am looking forward to it!
Ooh, top tip: if he says you've missed appointments, you've missed appointments. (At a cost, too!).

Recommend you apologise rather than argue the toss mate, your gonads are in their hands. (Literally).

The RN/RM has the right to reject your application if you miss a single medical appointment, tread carefully.
 
#12
Ninja_Stoker said:
Geordie88 said:
Medical tomorrow. My recruiting officer for the Marines is a top bloke, but he's being a bit tempestuous as he claims I've missed appointments (I haven't). Am looking forward to it!
Ooh, top tip: if he says you've missed appointments, you've missed appointments. (At a cost, too!).

Recommend you apologise rather than argue the toss mate, your gonads are in their hands. (Literally).

The RN/RM has the right to reject your application if you miss a single medical appointment, tread carefully.
Cheers.

Before you mentioned that I was about to go all guns blazing into the AFCO about saying I've missed appointments. Better give it a miss or I'll be re applying to the paras again!
 
#13
geordie, in the future, write all appointments down and ensure with the recruiter (initials or him signing) of when they are.

Paperwork will either support you or drown you.
 
#14
Jarhead said:
geordie, in the future, write all appointments down and ensure with the recruiter (initials or him signing) of when they are.

Paperwork will either support you or drown you.
Good advice. Will remember it in future!
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#15
Geordie88 said:
Before you mentioned that I was about to go all guns blazing into the AFCO about saying I've missed appointments. Better give it a miss or I'll be re applying to the paras again!
Even if you're 100% right, it's best to play ball Geordie. When you go into training, sooner or later you'll get blamed collectively for a cock-up which only one person made- it's called character forming & team building. It'll annoy you, but don't let it stop you achieving your goal mate.

It would probably be worth checking, politely, the AFCO has your correct postal address & contact details. It's not uncommon to advise the guy/girl on the front-desk you've changed your address/mobile number, for example & for that info not to get inputted on the computer or even for the person inputting the address initially to enter it incorrectly - sometimes the forms aren't filled out correctly, sometimes it's mis-read - we're all human!

Good luck.
 
#16
Ninja_Stoker said:
Geordie88 said:
Before you mentioned that I was about to go all guns blazing into the AFCO about saying I've missed appointments. Better give it a miss or I'll be re applying to the paras again!
Even if you're 100% right, it's best to play ball Geordie. When you go into training, sooner or later you'll get blamed collectively for a cock-up which only one person made- it's called character forming & team building. It'll annoy you, but don't let it stop you achieving your goal mate.

It would probably be worth checking, politely, the AFCO has your correct postal address & contact details. It's not uncommon to advise the guy/girl on the front-desk you've changed your address/mobile number, for example & for that info not to get inputted on the computer or even for the person inputting the address initially to enter it incorrectly - sometimes the forms aren't filled out correctly, sometimes it's mis-read - we're all human!

Good luck.
being blamed for something - character building.

being blamed for something that keeps you from getting in - not character building - especially in the UK where a board sits to determine whether you can join or not.

get your appointments in writing.
 
#17
The recruiter was clearly a bit frustrated but he was canny about it. Luckily, I was at work when he phoned and he caught me mam who obviously had a calming influence on him and he added 'mind, I'm only phoning coz the lad has got potential!' - so hopefully a quick limb check at HMS Calliope and then a jog North towards the Newcastle AFCO will smooth things over and I can crack on with preparing myself for the fitness test.

Cheers Jarhead, a septic with common sense....well I never! ;)
 

wet_blobby

War Hero
Moderator
#18
Well I went for the Paras and Booties when I was joining up....old fella a Bootie, brother a Para, as stated before I was excepted and given a start date by both, but went for the Booties because of the shiney buttons and fanny pulling opportunities.

Plus they said my spelling was to good to be a Para.
 
#19
Geordie88 said:
The recruiter was clearly a bit frustrated but he was canny about it. Luckily, I was at work when he phoned and he caught me mam who obviously had a calming influence on him and he added 'mind, I'm only phoning coz the lad has got potential!' - so hopefully a quick limb check at HMS Calliope and then a jog North towards the Newcastle AFCO will smooth things over and I can crack on with preparing myself for the fitness test.

Cheers Jarhead, a septic with common sense....well I never! ;)
lol

there are a few of us left - Dubya's trying to label all of us with common sense as terrorists.
:dwarf: