Why can't I find a decent screw?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by seafarer1939, Mar 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not what you think[well maybe it is relevant!] just done a woodworking DIY.
    I'm hopeless at plumbing,brickwork etc but I like Woodwork.
    Trouble is once you but in a screw these Chinese made screws rip apart the head when or if you decide to remove it.
    What happened to the good old Sheffield screws that were re-usable?
    Chisels don't keep the edge,Saws are throwaway,tools are mild steel that are crap.
    If it wasn't for the best invention ever made [Mole grips] I'd be in the shit extracting torn screws.
    Just having a moan.
    But we have lost a lot to inferior and cheap rubbish.

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Irrelevant and racist. Like the Daily Mail, but in a smaller format... :?

3. Go German. If you buy cheap, you get cheap 'n' nasty.

End of the day you get what you pay for. I don't buy ANY tools or fastenings made in China/Malaysia/India etc and never had any snags except when the fastening has been put in by someone else.

4. News of the screws?

5. sgtpepperband

I only use whatever tools I managed to proff from the Chippy's Workshop in 1M Cross-Passage, when I was on the Gangway during the Long Morning... :twisted:

6. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Be careful what you admit to on this board, there's apparently at least one crusher who regularly posts here :)

7. That must be the 'writing one'?

8. I rather think Mole Grips, although invented in the US, first saw the light of day in Japan in the late 40's I remember seeing something similar at Sasebo.

9. Garage full of pussers arrows then? Or did you get a grinder to remove them?:)

10. sgtpepperband

I wish I could get a grinder to remove Norman Cocky Dai's pointless contributions... :roll:

11. I agree that most of the screws etc you buy in large shops pretty much crap, total rubbish.
    The shop on the link doesn't sell any rubbish and has the most knowledgeable staff I have ever seen. It is a haven, a fantastic place and you can buy things by the each.

Home

I have recently attempted to assemble two pieces of garden/terrace furniture, both made in China, and both with bits missing or screws that have easily burred.
    I now go along to the shop above and buy decent ones to replace all the rubbish orginally supplied.

12. Get yourself a set of 'screw extractors' basically a LH thread bite into what is left of the pozi/philips hole that as you GENTLY apply pressure begins to turn the screw. Get in B&Q for a fiver(ish) for a set of 2 or 3 sizes.

Agree with not buying cheap tools any more. Totally false economy and bloody dangerous too. I almost lost a toe drilling a hole in a floor when the 10mm masonry drill bent as if butter!

Now I use De Walt and / or Bosch all the time - but only buy them when they are on special offer in B&Q when we are in the UK!!

13. Shouldn't be a need to use that place Sussex, not with the surfeit of ferreterias that we have here in Spain, where you can still buy one or two screws. Our local one is a veritable 4 dimensional Aladin's Cave!

14. .
    .....similar
    About us

15. See what you mean!!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

16. Have you stopped to think that it might not be the screws and tools but you? Perhaps your hopeless at woodwork as well.

17. Not me Chief,after I got bored in Civvy St I passed C&G in joinery and later C&G in Electronic Engineering.
    Now Plumbing and brickwork are strangers to me but I do know Joinery and Carpentry.
    Worked for a while on the sites joinering but it was too bloody cold so I went to a Caravan building firm[Eldis] so I do know about screws and tools!
    I'm just buying rubbish and should know better.
    As for racist well! I expected no less from SP.
    In every bunch of roses you find a prick!

18. I find that, when I try to take a screw out of something with a screwdriver, the screw never starts to unwind first time round, so I have another go and exert as much force as I can on it; the screw doesn't shift, but the slot in the head of it starts to widen and so there is less grip on the screwdriver. I then have another go and by now the head of the screw is starting to look a bit mangled and it all gets a bit hopeless. It's not quite such a problem when I am using a Phillips head screwdriver, although I have mangled a few screws with those as well.

I suspect that this might be because the screws in question are made of a fairly soft metal and so the cuts in them into which the screwdriver fits are just too fragile to endure the force put on them by the screwdriver; I'm wondering whether I am trying to unscrew them with the screwdriver not exactly square on and that this is what chews the head up.

19. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Standards Sol, Standards, I never thought the day would come when you would be making entries on a screwing thread :tweety: