why become a warfare officer????

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by hammers987, Jan 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone,
    I've got my pre-aib interview this thursday and I'm brushing up on my answers. Feeling pretty confident as I've been working my a**e of revising One of the basic questions I'm expecting is why do I want to become a warfare officer rather than a different department? I know what I want to say, but I want to improve my answer. For those wanting or doing warfare officer, could you give your reasons for wanting to do the warfare officer position please so I can compare them to my answer so that I don't make a fool of myself on one of the first questions!!!!

Thanks guys

ps....wish me luck!!
  2. You tell your's first.
    Is there a 'wrong' answer, perhaps "So that I can play with radar plots, inspect my Divisions lockers and supervise paint chipping duties." might not go down too well, but hopefully your answer will explain your reasons for wishing to serve in this role a tad clearer and in more depth.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The idea, as stated by NZB, is to use your own reason rather than borrow one.
  4. You're competing for a role with many others, why would somebody want to risk devaluing their originality by posting it all over the internet?
  5. Marks for initiative, but negative marks for lack of integrity.

Not an Officer-like quality...
  6. It gives you a fighting chance when you get married.
  7. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"why become a warfare officer????"

Because as the third son, its either that or the priesthood?
  8. Hammers, why do you want to be a Warfare Officer?
  9. Incidentally my own reason is that it's where all the cool kids go.
  10. Go on then - I'll wish you luck.

(You sure are gonna need it, Sunshine......)
  11. why indeed?
  12. 'Because sleep and happiness are over-rated?'
  13. If they ask you that question, just say i dunno.
  14. Excellent promotion opportunities! :p
  15. Because I would get to wear a nicer uniforn than those cretins on the lower deck, some of those lower deck cretins would join as stewards and pander to my every whim making my life easy and relaxing. The girls would flock around me esecially after I had sewn on the pilots wings that I managed to get from Ebay, I may even get my own cabin so that I could show them my collection of diamond pieces. Oh life as a warfairy would be bliss:winkrazz:
  16. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

By that I take it you mean the cool kids with blazers and chinos:winkrazz: who spend a disproportionate amount of their early (first 10) years away at sea :nemo:;

Hmm, promotion prospects for Warfare Officers. Lets think, less ships = less chances for Command, and Command exposure is you're ticket to promotion.

In fairness at present the "master race" have the monopoly on the very highest ranks [1SL, 2SL, CINC, DCINC et al ] but I suspect that will change and it cannot be too long before an Engineer or a Bootneck gets in there.

For you to succeed as a warfairy you need a skin thicker than a whale omellete, a skin greasier than said whales blubber and you need to cease using your cabin onboard electing simply to utilise your COs **** cleft as accomodation; the tighter fit the better. Most warfairies acting in this manner seem to get accelerated promotion ahead of their peers and way above their ability.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  17. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Because as a Warfare Officer you are immediately, by law, better looking than WE's and cooler than Loggies. FACT!
  18. He's off to a good start asking someone else to do his work for him, then sit back and take the praise if it works out well or ready to rain down bollockings and scorn if it doesn't. Should go far maybe straight to PWO course
  19. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

So does that make you an imposter? or just a :geek: warfairy?

and anyway, everyone is cooler than the Loggies. Our office cleaner is cooler than any Loggie I know, they're just Gofers, a sub-standard form of DHL. The exec wants fuel to get from A-B faster, the Logies get it; The Engineers find a fault (that the Master race caused!) and the Loggies (eventually) get the replacement items.

The more I think about it, aren't the Loggies just there to be the reason we're hanging on to formal military messaging?
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  20. Good question though.

Why become a Warfare Officer? :-D