Why aren't there snipers in the Royal Navy?

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by Snowman91, Mar 2, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been reading up on the roles ratings can do, and am wondering why sniper is not on there? On both the army and RAF websites you can train as a sniper after a minimum service period, where as in the navy from what the websites say one can only train as a sniper if joining the marines.

I was just wondering why this is the case? Is it because the army/RAF have a ground force to call upon where the navy stereotypically use the marines for their ground warfare?

Any info would be appreciated.

2. Oh Jesus Christ......

• Like Like x 8
  3. Cos we use offing great big bullets and missiles. Why do we want to use pea shooters!

(Unless your a Royal - then he can play with whatever he wants!!!!)

4. A royal marine sniper holds a Royal Navy ID card so I would suggest we do have snipers :)

When your 10 miles out at sea and the ship is moving getting your aim in would be bloody difficult.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

5. Snowman - try searching for STC (taps nose)

6. Ye Gods! It gets worse, bring back the sock puppets.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As correctly stated, Royal Navy snipers are Royal Marines and I'd like to think they're amongst the best there are.

Going back to Trafalgar, the Royal Navy used Army sharpshooters in the rigging, which is why the Royal Green Jackets (Now the Rifles) had a Naval Crown at the base of their cap/beret badge.

0004_badges_04_post51.jpg

NEXT!

• Like Like x 3
  8. **** off! you mong.

• Like Like x 2
  9. That's a bit harsh, I found ninjas dit very informative.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 7
  10. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

We had some SBS snipers embarked with us on WIGs on Sheffield, one of them, from a moving helicopter put a round through each of the 3 outboards of a drugs carrying speedboard at full speed over the waves, ****ing good shooting!!! Anyway, back on topic, as JFH has already said, that chap would have had a Royal Navy ID card. Ninja, I don't think we had snipers in the fighting tops at Trafalgar, Nelson didn't like it, he thought it too much of a fire risk for the rigging. The Rifles battle honour is for Copenhagen. By the time Nelson was the numero uno, I think he had stopped it in situations where he was "the man".

• Like Like x 2
  11. Well that's a kick in the balls. Thanks any way guys.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ya really gotta watch what you post!!!!!

13. Why in this instance?

14. Because you'll look like a mong.

• Like Like x 1
  15. There. Fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, before my time, but I should've said Napoleonic, or maybe Nelsonian, not Trafalgar.

My apologies, Army sharpshooters probably would've got a bit flustered hearing Naval Officers wanting to kiss each other in battle, hence the conspiracy theory. Kismet my arse, as Hardy possibly once allegedly said.

• Like Like x 2
  17. According to QI, and some other source I can't remember, Kismet was not a word which would have been used in early C19th Britain and his final words were actually "drink, drink, fan, fan, rub, rub" - quite likely I would think bearing in mind his injuries.

Though as suggested by Ninja, perhaps "stroke, stroke, rub, rub, suck, suck" may have been more 'nautical' and dit worthy had he lived.

• Like Like x 3
  18. I was a long range sniper, put a 56lb HE projectile within 100 meters at 20,0000yds didn't get a badge but by fcuk they knew I was around!!

19. If were going down that road I wasn't too shabby myself!! I could hit a 4 inch can from 6/7000 yards bobbing and a weaving from a moving helicopter at 90 knots and 200 to 400 feet. Mind you I was grateful the can wasn't firing back!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

That's **** all, I hit a gobby stoker with a wheel spanner the full length of the AAMR on Boxer circa 92!

• Like Like x 7