Why are there so many new AET's?!!?

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Danny86, Jan 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alright,

Just wondering, is there a shortage of AET's in the FAA or something? On the Raleigh Newbie thread, it just seems like 80% of all posts are people saying they're going to be an AET, have the RN done a mass AET recruitment??

I mean like, yeah I'm going in for AET, but I didn't know so many else were! It's not a bad thing at all, I'm just curious if there's a reason :)

Plus, the waiting list was only 4 months :|

Thankssss

2. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Shortage is such an absolute and final description, lets just say that the manning throughput of AET's exceeds many of the assumptions used to establish the planning model, much more wooly.

3. Danny as an AET you have achieved a good RT score, thus you are clever enough to use a computer.
    Reasons.
    The course is academically hard compared to other trades.
    The recruiting trough caused by turning off the recruitment tap years previously is affecting numbers.
    More work and less play than years gone by, compounded by contractorisation of second line billets and opportunities with said contractors means further manpower losses.
    HELOS AND Harriers are in demand operationally more time away and more opportunities with contractors.

Advise work hard and go AV trade.

4. I was thinking that, Im goin for AET aswell. HMS Sultan must be a big place to hold us all. Someone said the drop rate fpr AET is quite high. True?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

From a recruiting perspective AET is viewed as one of the priority trades. The main reason is two fold:

1. Insufficient candidates score high enough in the Recruiting Test to be eligible to join as AETs.

(Moral to the story: practice & revise before you sit the test)

2. There is a high wastage of AETs who seem unable to pass phase two training & subsequently leave the service either voluntarily or are discharged unsuitable during training for failing to pass the technical training.

(Moral to the story: Don't think because you passed the entrance test that you don't have to study after you have joined)

6. If you fck up at Sultan can you go for another branch? Or is it bye bye to the RN

7. Ninja_Stoker

By the book, you cannot change trades & should logically be discharged if you fail phase two training, then re-apply in your second preference trade, when there's training place available for you & providing you are recommended to rejoin immediately.

The reason for this rule is so that people do not join a shortage category trade to get into the Service quickly, then change branches & effectively queue-jump.

It has been previously reported that failed AETs are given the option of transferring to ET (MESM) "in service", but rather hope this ludicrous practice is abandoned as it completely devalues the worth of the elite trade of Submariners of all trades in that it alludes to the fact it is a "fall-back" option if all else fails.

8. Surely if a guy isn't good enough to qualify as an AET then he will almost certainly fail as an ET (MESM)
    Mechanical and electrical principles are the same whether airborne, surface ships or submarines.

9. That's a lot of really helpful answers, thanks.

So like, phase 2 is really difficult then? I'm bricking it!

10. Ninja_Stoker

It's quite likely the case Slim, but the required Recruiting Test score for AET is higher than ME & WE. Often the failure rate can be more attributed to the maturity of the individual rather than simply their intellectual ability when taking psychometric tests.

11. Heard quite a few instructors at Daedalus, say that some of the courses comin through ITG now are struggling to pass even the basic modules Fire Fighting, Tool control etc. It's been so bad they've had to draft MEM's and Killicks courses in to bulk up numbers at their passing out's in Newcomen hanger!

12. Understand the sentiment, but when our backs are against the wall for numbers, for the time being & if they'll make the grade, we'll turn them into clankys or greenies and swallow our pride.....