Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Am I here?

Get down to the Gym,go for long walks and always look forward to something even if it does seem trivial.

Im 50 in 6 months and I have been going to the gym etc for the last 9 years and it is a cure for depression as it releases all your endorphins etc and you will feel 100% better for it and get your missus to go down with you.I promise it will be benificial to the both of you.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
ukdaytona said:
OK, sorry for bringing you all down on a Friday but anyone else ever feel the same or am I having a Midlife crisis ?

Nah, not a mid-life crisis at all, you've already got the motorbike so you must have already experienced your mid-life crisis :)

What you need to do is try and find something different and break out of the rut that you've got into (been there, done that); I always found getting out in a boat very therapeutic or alternatively finding a nice quiet Gatso free road to ahem exercise the motor bike - if you want to be legal, try something like a trackday to mark your birthday :eek:ccasion4:

Right off to worry about my own stress factors; I'm playing the well known "hurry up and wait" game at the moment - I either need a work permit renewal to be in place by 30th July (still waiting for the work permit approval to be issued) or I need a residency visa to be in place by 30th July. If neither of these happen then my family and I need to leave Canada on the 31st July - this would leave me jobless and effectively homeless (since we'd have to leave our home here).... and to make matters worse, we've also recently put down a deposit on a new house being built to our specs so if everything goes really pear-shaped we'll have two houses here in Canada and not be able to live in either! I really hope the immigration people pull their fingers out but in the mean time I just need to be patient and keep calm :meditate: :)

ukdaytona

War Hero
FW - sold the bike 2 weeks ago to help clear up a financial situation due to my employer getting my pay wrong for 9 weeks (when they paid me)

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
Daytona have you checked the age requirement for the Reserves, give it a shot, if you really want it go for it. If it is 40 then you've got 6 months to get yourself fit then apply.
Recommend the exercise advice, losing a few pounds or just feeling healthier will give your ego a boost as well as the kick you'll get from the endorphines (Natures Heroin, bonus).
Which ever way you go mate, remember we all( especially those of us in/or nearing our 40s) get a bit of a downer on at times, the important thing is to talk about it with a trustworthy listener, not bottle it up as this just makes it worse.
Best wishes.
NZB

aussiepint

War Hero
Daytona, I am 37. I am going to a Navy Presentation Team thingy next month. I am a nurse and am contemplating RNR (there I said it!).

If I am contemplating that with me squidgy thighs, and marriage break-up, and the fact that I need a proper sports bra then you can pick your bottom lip off the ground mate?

I wouldn't normally do this but.....xxxxx.....

Pints.

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
Pinta see what happens when you go on the piss with Royal and Jack ...Press ganged. Good luck sweetthing.
UA you grumpy cnut go and write a poem.
NZB

ukdaytona

War Hero
Thanks Aussie. Been talking to JC and stuff, you all look after her this weekend.

Am putting things in motion and will be looking into the joining of the Reserves (am too old for Army, too much medication for Air Farce so looks like it will be the RNR).

Will let you know how things go.......

nutty_bag

War Hero
ukdaytona said:
Anyone ever sit and wonder why your actually here and what your doing in life ???

I am in a relationship thats going to rat shit in a hand cart, a house I dont want to be in but cant afford to move.

Am too old (39 next Saturday the 16th) and unfit to join the reserves and I feel that right now life is passing me by and i am achieving very little..... its one of those 'Its a Wonderful Life' times - ie if I wasnt here/had never been would it of mattered ???

OK, sorry for bringing you all down on a Friday but anyone else ever feel the same or am I having a Midlife crisis ?

Chin up mate!! Didnt see this thread until just now. I know what you mean mate, been off with a bad back for 6 weeks which doesn't seem to want to get better. My solution is to think about the lives of people i have saved in the past, this generally gives me the boost i need to get myself better.

NB

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
ukdaytona said:
Am too old (39 next Saturday the 16th) and unfit to join the reserves and I feel that right now life is passing me by and i am achieving very little.....

Yippee!!! Good news fatty!

You can join the RNR up to 45 if you're ex-RN, so you've 5 years come Saturday to get fit!

I'm already 45, now THAT's when you start getting depressed.

In the words of the song: "Cheer up 'Bwian', you ol' bugger.....Always look on etc., etc.," :thumright:

:toilet: We've all been there, after 25 yrs of marriage, working my arse off 24/7, had no life at all, thought to myself one day, this is shit, I'm going to start enjoying myself, started going out more, found a new women, got shot of the old one, best thing I could have done, after all the flak had died down, everyone was happy and I'm having a fckin ball of a life and I'm 20 yrs your senior ! Its never too late to get your life together, think drastic and go for it. My story was obviously a lot more involved but thats the guts of it mate. :tp:

ukdaytona

War Hero
Ninja_Stoker said:
ukdaytona said:
Am too old (39 next Saturday the 16th) and unfit to join the reserves and I feel that right now life is passing me by and i am achieving very little.....

You can join the RNR up to 45 if you're ex-RN, so you've 5 years come Saturday to get fit!

In the words of the song: "Cheer up 'Bwian', you ol' bugger.....Always look on etc., etc.," :thumright:

Bog off you old fart

ukdaytona

War Hero
Will be having a little drinkie tomorrow, was hoping to be at the rugby but other half decided to throw a combined party/dads day bbq for me n her dad......

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
ukdaytona said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
ukdaytona said:

Bog off you old fart

That's the spirit fella! :crybaby:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
superpom Here we go lads...laddettes? The Quarterdeck 114
MoD_RSS Getting back behind the wheel? Here’s some useful advice MoD News 0
A Medical fail - where do I go from here? Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS We will robustly defend human rights here at the UN and beyond MoD News 1
LeedsBornLeedsBred Passed out 5 week ago, here to answer any questions. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS Here we go! Football fans urged to remember basic rules of road MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Cash here to stay as government commits to protecting access MoD News 0
Lily jade Newbie Here The Corps 13
J Any MAs on here? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L New here ;) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
LateToTheParty HMS Conqueror - Did anyone on here serve on her? Submariners 8
N Any Accelerated Apprenticeship Scheme: Marine Engineers here? Joining the Royal Navy 31
Simon - Quest Magazine Want to keep flying? Here’s how … The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Crinkley Stuff No Who does What Here Finance & Pensions 1
NateDogg Any serving Aircraft handlers on here? or anyone applying? Joining the Royal Navy 49
SquidlyDiddly Any SE Officers or Cadets here? RFA 0
BillyNoMates "Everything to see here" History 0
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
R Complete Newbie here, I've got a question to ask, and asking for some tips for the RN interview. The Quarterdeck 2
G Collingwood here i come RFA 10
S Anyone on here a part of the recruitment team? Submariners 14
drewfester Here we go again! Another new uniform Current Affairs 141
A I'm back from my PRNC - Here's a few tips for anyone yet to do it! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
D Anyone here a SG 1/2 RFA 5
Ninja_Stoker The "your name here" thread Diamond Lil's 205
Jockanese Mine Warfare (I know, it's already on here but...) The Fleet 5
ToonPatriot Any Aircraft controllers here? The Fleet Air Arm 6
C Is anyone here a marine engineering technician? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
5oclockhero Any current or ex-RFA personnel on here? RFA 6
soleil Waikato Times: "Happy 21st, Here's The Keys To An Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 3
T The Greatest Military / Pub Duvet Jacket known to man - Kosa 3 Mk II is here Travel & The Great Outdoors 1
T Does this go here? NAVAL OFFICERS HONOURED FOR ROLE IN SOMALIA MoD News 0
MaiBelle Off to Ghana...cause it's not hot enough here! Travel & The Great Outdoors 34
fails_as_is Duty watch really turned to under the glory shower here... The Gash Barge 2
Repulse New chap here... History 19
F Anybody here seen Peppa ? The Gash Barge 52
2 anyone here into athletics? Sports and Adventure Training 8
B What is wrong with some of the see you next tuesdays on here? The Gash Barge 40
finknottle Syria, Here We Go Again! Current Affairs 50
Good CO Software upgrade done this morning - any errors here please / Blog removed Site Issues 39
finknottle Our spineless government could learn a thing or two here. Current Affairs 36
SONAR-BENDER Roll up! Roll up! Get yer F30 gizzit here! Diamond Lil's 2
MG Maniac Here we go again???? Current Affairs 12
M Hi all, MA in waiting here, first post! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
Muppet89 Newbie here! (sort of!) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
J Hey! Im new here :) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
BillyNoMates Newbies can check in here. The Corps 0
SerkJ Newbie Here Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
trelawney126 Cutbacks here and Loans to the IMF Current Affairs 18
BSBRN82 From fail to pass, amazing WS SM here I come Miscellaneous 13