Whose Hijacked the PROMS!

Discussion in 'Hobbies & The Great Indoors' started by trelawney126, Sep 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last night of the Proms was, I found , a dissapointment. No maritime section whatsoever. The Proms is a tradition, and the highlight used to be the starting rendition of the Fighting Arethusa. Only traditional point was the rendition of Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory. D o we in this PC world not admit to having a maritime past! Irated of Scunthorpe :twisted:

2. Boo Hiss...Oh dear thanks for that I will not be watching it when it gets down here :evil:

3. One of the most famous opera singers dressed as an 18th century naval officer, and singing Rule Britannia wasn't maritime enough then :wink:
    She even had the decency to sing it using the original tone and words.

4. Ah Rule Britannia ...was that not written by a Scots man? :D 8)

5. Certainly not, When she unfurled the Union Flag it was upside down!
    Certainly a sign of the distress the Proms are in! :wink:

6. Poms in distress?...oh yeah :twisted:

7. The Proms were never intended as a nationalistic display, rather an introduction to music for people who could not otherwise afford to attend, hence the promenading which could be offered at little or no cost.
    The weeks of the Proms offer music from around the world and was never originally intended as any kind of nationalistic display.
    The massed singing of patriotic songs etc were added much later in order to boost numbers.
    Wasn't it announced at the end that this years Proms, despite the financial problems, were better attended and watched/listened to, over many weeks, by more people than ever before? It certainly was.

8. Us Poms have been in distress since Mr Broon took over, nay verily before him and that Blair twot! But to punish us all by omitting the complete maritime rendition was a step too far! I for one will now pay for my license fee using Zimbabwean currency. When they finished counting the fee next years Proms will have been and gone using traditional values, cos they'll be too busy counting ....result!

9. And Scotland being legally, freely entered into and by act of parliament part of the union of Great Britain, then that would be OK.

10. It'll all be fixed when Mr Camerom (Scots by any chance?) takes over as the nautical theme will be allowed to continue. they'll sing the Eton Boat Song and the whole cabinet will be in the front row joining in. After all most of them went to that school - there's tradition for you :lol:

11. 'Oh we'll all row together with a jolly old boating song, up and down the river looking after our jolly well selves'..

12. To attend the Last Night of the Proms in London you must qualify to get a ticket, by attending five Proms. There are 100 places available at a cost of £85 for those that cannot get up to London, these are allocated by ballot! I don't doubt that the Proms is well attended and the foreign listener numbers have increased. Music in all it's glory, both modern and old should rightly be brought to the masses. The time for the inclusion of different types of music is in the preceeding Proms and during the first halve rendition.
    The exclusion of the Maritime section and it's replacement by only a couple of patriotic songs was a dissapointment to me. I do enjoy listening to the piece of musical catchup where the audience clap in time to the music and the orchestra plays faster and faster. Thats involvement. Like it or not I think that more people listen to the Last Night Proms than any other and tune in to watch it for the very reason I've mentioned. The musical piece about Fireworks was crap at best and a severe disappointment for all those who were expecting a better Proms night :wink: :wink:

13. Yes but the Proms go on for many weeks, and these concerts are very well attended indeed.
    Very few people keen on the Proms would go to the last night, which attracts a very different audience.
    The Proms as a whole are the most successful music festival in the world. The last night is a different kettle of fish entirely and not representative of the whole.
    Instead of a maritime section you at least got a floor polisher and a brace of vacumn cleaners as some sort of compensation :roll: Not much compensation I hear you say, perhaps you are right.
    For myself I increasingly dislike the use of 'celebrities' to comment on and stick their oar in, something which now seems to be necessary in any kind of broadcast. We've come to hear the music not them gabbling on :twisted:
    Don't even start me on news programmes :evil: :evil: :evil:

14. So basically what your saying is this.........Some of us have watched the Proms for years and the last night was as traditional to us as ceremonies carried out all over the world, by other countries.
    But hey ho fcuk em all lets modernise it, make it more "International" and a draw to all the world.
    Fcuk the world, its a British thing, don't like it? don't watch it. We don't tell the Hawaiians to change their aloha or the Spanish how to dance the flamenco.
    The old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it should apply in at least SOME areas.
    And far from falling off, attendances have increased every year since its inception, so that in 1996, the "Park" concerts were started to allow all to experience a sense of Promenading. Tickets can only be bought on the night...£5.00....and there are just a few full concert tickets sold as season tickets.
    My first wife was a musician and was very involved with the Proms, an event I have attended on quite a few occasions.
    The last night was added in the period between the wars so it is by now traditional.

15. My wife is a classically trained violinist, has played with the Halley "once" and was for many years with the Nottingham Philomonic Orchestra. She enjoys her music, which is probably the main reason no bastard will nick her i-pod. She has a passion for music but commented on the omission of the Maritime bit.
    I on the other hand know very little about music, in fact my total knowledge of music could be written on a grain of rice with a pickaxe. But I do know if I like a piece.
    Both my children can play instruments and can both read music. all in all when they play I get through quite a few paracetamols. To listen to them playing the Maritime section and me trying to play catchup would be a nightmare. Reintroducing the section would therefore give me less grief. Threin lies my situation! :roll:

16. Jesus Christ I am glad I did not know or live by you when I was married to wife 1.
    Imagine the scenario, yours on violin, mine on clarinet, and all the kids joining in. Foreign unaccompanied? mmmmmm yes that would be nice.
    My ex played with the Birmingham symphony, then she started doing duets with a trumpet player.
    She was actually a good singer and sang with a swing band made a good living. She sang with the band at Drayton Manor park in the years after she settled down, but a Radio band before that at the BBC.
    Ended up wealthy, I jumped ship prematurely, after all what's a little adultery between friends. :roll: :wink: :D

17. She's still with the trumpet player, I wonder if she still blows his horn :oops: 8O :twisted:

18. Morning Shipmate is the sun already up in the south east...
    Was it "Thingy" who was waving that PINK Union Jack. What is that all about?
    I thought music was supposed to be for all and a great leveller. :wink:

As an addendum the wifes Father has just commented on the abscence of Elgar.....Not another one for Sunday lunch. Better lay an extra place!

19. Elgar? oh sorry we know him as Eddie 8O :roll: :wink:

20. All I saw was a mostly well presented (apart from the 'celebrities') and popular broadcast. The quality of the singing and playing from the professionals was in the greatest tradition, excellent.
    That there is such a level of excellence in the UK makes me very proud indeed.
    I think that with fireworks you actually have to be there.
    To see so many parks crowded with people appreciating the music (Chris de Burgh excepted in my case!!) can only be good for the future of UK music. Last night of the proms or not.