Who'd have had one of these?

Discussion in 'History' started by wet_blobby, Feb 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I've got a little Jack statue. He's a 3 badge flag waver but at some stage has lost his flags, made of solid bronze and appears to be mounted on an old style car radiator cap. I cant see your duty signaller cutting about with him strapped to the front of his bike so who'd have had such a thing, A sea lord, Mountbatten?
    SANY0600.jpg SANY0601.jpg SANY0602.jpg SANY0603.jpg

2. Early indicator set up?. You want to get yourself onto antiques roadshow with that Blobby.

3. That's beautiful. I want one, definitely looks like its missing the flags though. It has got a finger tight thread pattern around it too and given the impressions on the lower rim and double lining I'd agree that its a petrol cap.

Did early aircraft carriers have separate air offices? like they do on the Nimitz class? might belong to a 1st or 2nd world war carrier.

You know what? I doubt there's anyone old enough on even this piss smelling forum who knows where that came from.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  4. Right in one EC. I don't know, but I do agree with your first comment and hope that a proper bunting will provide us with the answer idc.

2BM

5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

What letter is he signalling? I thought it might be L

6. If the images I have googled are correct it looks like L to me too, had to google I'm not that old and never got pinged for Sigs (no strong accent or speech impediments!)

7. From a seamans point of view, it looks like he is making up or about to throw a heaving line. As for being a flag wagger (being pendantic) the hand positions are wrong for holding flags.

8. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Before WW2 Lord M indeed had a signalman on the bonnet of his Barker Cabriolet Rolls Royce in place of the usual flying lady, but it was solid silver. The car and mascot were a wedding present from his wife.

As to function, I would think yours is a radiator cap from the days when one had to keep topping the radiator up.

Right arm horizontal and left arm dipped is 'M'. 'L' has right arm up at 45 deg. and left arm dipped.

9. Maybe he's just directing traffic?

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm... reminds me of the same position I once saw a young Wren AB(R) in, when she was sat between the SPC and SPR in the Ops Room during the Middle. She said she was skiiing but I didn't believe her.. :shock:

11. wal

wal Badgeman

Stoker taking his Father and Son for a walk but they appear to have done a runner.

12. Nah, italian chef in a knife fight!

13. ''Typical italian, brings a knife to a gunfight''