Who was the First To Drop There Load - RAF or FAA

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by ukdaytona, Jun 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. According to the BEEB, the FIRST air attack of the Falklands was launched from Ascension Islands http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6739175.stm but according to The History Channel last night it was the Fleet Air Arm so can someone advise who it really was......
  2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

According to the shite the beeb is going on about this week the Navy and Marines had fcuk all to do with the Falklands, apparantly it was just the Paras and Guards who won them back.
  3. Who was the First To Drop There Load - RAF or FAA?

The one who had the vindaloo for lunch!
  4. If it's actually the Falkland Islands I think it was a crab Vulcan on 1st May 82, bombing Stanley Airfield. If it's the South Atlantic campaign then I think it was the FAA at South Georgia, sometime in April 82 (Lynx Sea Skua into fin of SSK Sante Fe ?). But then again I was fast and deep during this period :thumright:
  5. joint for dates for bombing stanley. both the crabs and navy bombed stanley on 1st May with the navy shooting down 3 aircraft on the same day.
    So down to exact time for who was first

First navy contact 25th April santa fe hit with air to surface missile

25th April South Georgia recaptured by Royal Marines - Thatcher tells Britain to "rejoice";
    Argentine submarine Santa Fe is beached on South Georgia after British attack

1st May
    Initial SAS and SBS landings on the Islands;
    First Vulcan bomber raid on Stanley airport;
    Sea harrier aircraft attack Stanley airport and Goose Green;
    3 Argentine aircraft are shot down;
    Naval bombardment of Stanley begins;
    114 inhabitants of Goose Green are imprisoned in the settlement's Recreation Club for the next 4 weeks;
    14 Stanley residents previously sent to Fox Bay East are placed under house arrest
  6. Didnt they miss?
  7. If you are talking about the Crab Vulcan - I think one or two of the bombs hit the runway, but the majority missed. Of course if you listen to crabs talking their excuse is..well it proved we could do it. My response is always..what fly 8000miles to fcuk up the attack.
  8. But they bombed the shite out of the surrounding grass so that prevented the argies using it to hide :afro:

9. Everything that flew took a pop at her!

On Sunday morning (25th) as "Santa Fe" headed out on the surface, she was spotted off Cumberland Bay by Lt Cmdr Stanley's Wessex. Near-missed by two Mk.11 depth charges and with some damage, the submarine limped back towards Grytviken. As she did, one of "Brilliant's" Lynx attacked with a Mk.46 torpedo, the two "Endurance" Wasps (Flight Commander, Lt Cmdr Ellerbeck) fired AS.12 missiles hitting her fin, "Plymouth's" Wasp fired another AS.12 and both of "Brilliant's" Wasps strafed with machine guns. The warships meanwhile headed for the action at high speed. Although the attacks only slightly damaged the "Santa Fe" and wounded one crewman, by noon she was abandoned alongside the jetty at King Edward Point. (Later, on being moved to Grytviken, one of "Santa Fe's" crew was shot and killed in the mistaken belief he was trying to scuttle the boat.)

10. PMSL :thumright:
  11. Agree. So FAA dropped loads various 1st - if we mean the South Atlantic campaign. I'm not a WAFU but didn't Brilliant have Lynx's embarked?? - they're all "paraffin pigeons" to me anyway!
  12. The black buck raids (Vulcan bombers) hit at the runway at least once, but you must look at the big picture before dismissing the raids. This raid proved that we could easily hit the Argentine Mainland if required (for the first time, giving the Argies something else to worry about), it meant that no fix wing fighters could be based in Stanley or that it couldnt safely be used for refuelling FBA etc, thus forcing the Argies to keep the bulk of their forces including the Exocet carriers based on the mainland, giving them limited time on target over the Falklands/Task Force. It also had a devastating affect upon morale in the area. Not wanting to stick up for the crabs, but I feel that we should, now in hindsight look at all the information available. There is no-doubts that this was a costly venture and on the surface seems to be a waste of time, but thats not the case.
  13. Re the Santa Fe, it is my understanding that the Wessex's depthcharges damaged her on the surface, thus preventing her sinking. She was then hit and further damaged by several AS12 missiles. These hit, but as the fin was light they didn't explode, but still caused further damage.

I was at school at the time but this is what I believe happened from later conversations with people who were involved.
  14. OK, all I wanted to know was who bombed the airfield first....

The FAA or the RAF........

The BBC claim the RAF and History Channel say FAA SO WHO WAS IT ???

Having read the book 607 about the Black Buck raid and what was involved etc, I have nothing but admiration for the crews that flew the raid and how close it was to going pear shaped.
  15. I'd belive the History channel,we know what the Beeb are like.
  16. Black Buck (the Vulcan) went first with release at 07:46Z, with the 800NAS raid dropping at 11:00Z according to David Brown's The RN and the Falklands War. Tallies with what I remember as well.

That do you?
  17. Vulcan bomber unlikely to be ready for Falklands anniversary flypast
    By PETER ALMOND - More by this author »

Last updated at 22:43pm on 26th May 2007

Comments (7)

It was supposed to be the star of the show, its unmistakable shape thundering over Buckingham Palace as a powerful, poignant reminder of the Falklands War 25 years ago.

But despite a round-the-clock effort to get Britain's last remaining Vulcan bomber airworthy for the anniversary flypast, the desperately disappointed restoration team were forced to admit yesterday that they would almost certainly miss the deadline.

Iconic: The famous delta-winged Vulcan bomber is unlikely to take part in the flypast

The absence of Vulcan XH558 will be a major disappointment to the thousands of Falklands veterans and members of the public expected at the June 17 event.

Vulcans played a pivotal role in the recapture of the islands. In the first surprise attack of the 1982 conflict, Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher sent Vulcans to bomb Stanley airfield from Ascension Island in the mid-Atlantic.

The raids were a remarkable achievement - with a round trip of 8,000 miles, they were, at the time, the longest-distance bombing missions ever carried out.

Engineers have spent eight years and £5million trying to make the last surviving Vulcan airworthy, but after being dogged by technical and financial setbacks, have had to concede that it is unlikely to be ready for the flypast.

Project director Robert Pleming said: "We were held up in January by discovery of corrosion in the undercarriage and on the wing edge, which added £300,000 to the project.

"But we've worked round the clock. We've got the wheels going on this week, the last two engines are going in and we're almost there. We are not optimistic we will make June 17 but we will definitely be flying this summer."

The plane, which is based at Bruntingthorpe airfield in Leicestershire, still has to undergo extensive checks before it can be cleared for air-show flying by the Civil Aviation Authority.

The delta-winged Vulcan was one of Britain's V-bomber force designed to carry nuclear bombs deep into the Soviet Union during the Cold War. They were nearing the end of their working life when they were called into action in the Falklands.

During the raids on the airstrip, codenamed Black Buck, the Vulcans dropped 21 1,000lb bombs.

They did not destroy the runway, but caused enough damage to dissuade the Argentines from launching jet fighters from it.

The raids also demonstrated Britain's ability and willingness to attack the islands.

After the Falklands war, six Vulcans continued in service as air-to-air refuelling tankers until 1984.

Mr Pleming hopes the restoration of the Vulcan XH558, which never dropped a bomb in anger, will be complete in time for this summer's air shows, but says it will 'definitely' be ready for a Falklands memorial dedication in Wales in September.

Chinook helicopter Bravo November - the sole survivor of the sinking of the Atlantic Conveyor freighter in the Falklands conflict - may also be unavailable for the flypast as it is being deployed in Afghanistan.

Hope this helps

18. Aye, 'appen it will. Ta muchly
  19. 'Vulcans played a pivotal role in the recapture of the islands. In the first surprise attack of the 1982 conflict, Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher sent Vulcans to bomb Stanley airfield from Ascension Island in the mid-Atlantic.'

Having grown up near Waddington, the Vulcans were big and bloody noisy - doesnt seem to fit with a 'surprise attack' somehow......

ArgentinianNo1 'Ey you feel that rumble through your feet'
    ArgentinianNo2 'No your just paranoid. Oh, wonder what that big thing is over there in the sky, looks big n pretty dont it'
    ArgentinainNo1 'Oh F$%K run......' footsteps drowned out by bombing of the surrounding area. The grassy knowl was blown to sh1te - almost as much as Argie 1 & 2 had deposited within there trousers....