Who upset Admiral Z?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Sparkplug, Dec 24, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I see that the Reserves do not get mentioned by the First Sea Lord in his Christmas message.

Could it be something to do with CMRHQ, various SO1/2 types, and the FTRS mafia all pulling in directions other than the one set by Their Lordships? Does the current obsession with OPVs cause a potential problem when dim witted politicians think they can do a frigate's job? Does the obsession with OPVs prevent us from contributing to aiding the force generation process? SDSR 15 was positive - but we have to make it work. The previous SDSR was bloody awful for the RN, and mixed messages sent by ill educated part timers undermined the then First Sea Lord.

Is it the problem the RNR has in complying with the law as laid down by QRRN, BR3, and such things as JSP 830 (Manual of Service Law)? How about say an RNR Cdr ignoring a direct order from a 1* Officer?

My loyalty is to the Royal Navy, not the RNR. I am not the only loyal part timer to be embittered by the dubious actions of the chain of command.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Ooooh, SimpleReservist is going to come along and tell you to be positive in a moment. Just be positive, don't actually do anything about it mind.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 1. "Beatings will continue until morale improves" is not a good policy.

2. Even if everyone at the table smiles and says yum - a turd sandwich is still a turd sandwich.
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Par for the course. Adm Stanhope forgot to mention them too.

As always the RNR means 'Really Not Remembered'...
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Nobody wants to remember a bad dream.
  6. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Because the First Sea Lord has stated that there is Naval, Royal Marines, RFA and Civil Service in the naval family. As far as he is concerned reserves are part of the Naval bit. He is keen to strip down barriers - with New Employment Model on its way standby to see much more reserve personnel doing what was traditionally "full time" navy jobs.

The future is coming and it may upset people.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. But that would mean the RNR Senior bods obeying orders, and providing what the RN wants. Expect heavy resistance from the FTRS mafia and others....
  8. So you want to have your cake and then have a make n mend whereby you will have enough time to wolf it down too? That cake smells a bit of sour grapes methinks...
  9. Joined the RNR explicitly to do useful stuff for the RN while testing myself a bit, learning some new stuff and meeting some interesting people. Mission accomplished so far: on the "what have you done for the Navy side" I've managed a few entertaining and apparently relevant contributions to date.

Haven't had much contact with senior RNR bods and generally prefer to keep it that way. Known some good ones, some less good.

I have no hope, plan or expectation of promotion or advancement, for sure I'm not in it for the money, I'm just here until it stops being interesting, so my Give-A Fcuk-O-Meter is pegging zero until any of these forces get in my way and I then will decide whether to fight, surrender or quit.

But basically, when it stops being fun I'll stop turning up and then they'll be sorry, won't they! ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. A good start might be sorting the Divisional System out and having things like the CO's table or complaints handled in accordance with BR3.

Message edited to protect the innocent.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not wishing to come across as a "yes man" but there is an established complaints procedure if you are not happy with your lot.

Dripping on social media about your employer, whilst commonplace in the private sector, will become a disciplinary offence in, erm, about 6 days.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Ha Ha! New grindstone for that collection of blunt axes Sparkplug?!?
  13. Not disciplinary, administrative. Very important difference: the burden of proof for a start...
  14. Purple_twiglet

At the risk of stating the obvious - why stay?
  15. The RNR can be good - but it is let down by a few key individuals. Which is what frustrates me.
  16. The doctrine of Wednesbury Unreasonableness will apply, surely?
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Possibly different Commands have tweaked the original draft but the one I saw definitely said "disciplinary action". That said, if proof isn't readily to hand, I guess adminstrative action will fit the bill, much the same as a positive CDT is an administrative rather than disciplinary issue due the pesky law of the land :)
  18. Sparkplug, sod the difference between discipline or admin, the key here is you feel you have been badly let down.
    The service I work for is not a service that wishes, or wants, it's people to feel that way.
    A service complaint is the way forward, or you could fall in to the trap of "moaning but not putting up" - pm me if needed, but this is not the way to solve our problems.

And, btw, happy Christmas.
  19. Purple_twiglet

SR - the system doesnt always support those who need it and who often find they are badly let down by the process in place. The system could be far more effective, but as many have found, there is a point where its clear that no matter what is done, the individual cannot effect change when the system is not collectively prepared to change. It is very difficult to make headway in those circumstances.
  20. "Why stay" is not "stating" but enquiring. stating the obvious refers to the RNR and other subsidised Armed Forces we are currently having to rely on. If Purple Twiglet is an example, then God help us.