Who remebers home for old and new vessles?

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Sumo, Aug 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HMS Intrepid in her hay day and demise

Attached Files:

2. Lost 18 months of my life on that Rust Bucket ... Thing was falling to bits in late 80's - early 90's when I was on her ... just needed a dockayard matey with a windy hammer in the right place and she would have fallen apart there and then!

Mind did have a particularly good trip out to the States / Windies on her .... very nice young filly in Ft Lauderdale springs to mind ... she could still make an old man very happy!

3. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Did my baby tiff's time on herin 88. We had a good time, but she was a rough old bucket even then.

4. Anyone got any interior phots of either of these two LPDs? Would be interesting to see why the crews got Hard Layers\Liners (??) pay.

5. :ncool::eek:mg::blank:One for the S/M's just before my time, this incident started her early retirement to the razor blade yard

Attached Files:

6. Not sure I ever did! Typical old style messes ... three tier bunks around the mess square - I was 2D PO's mess ... think there was 16 or 24 of us in there ... (might be wrong). Embarked Force messes were a bit more spartan (bunks in cages I think).

Tiddly ... was on her in '88 so spect you remember the tiffs portacabins up on 02 deck ... was part of the T Boat there on my daily walk round (escape from the Sick Bay).

7. Great crew.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. TP where was the bottom shot and how many abreast?

9. Guzz. 4 I think, found it on the net. S Boats 1 must be Sceptre.

10. Did not see that many abreast very often, do not think I ever saw that many?

11. The Turkish crows at work on the 'Vince' Invincible being picked clean in Turkey.jpg

13. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

MG,Yes I remember them well, the climb up the vertical ladders up the side of the superstructure every morning made them hard to forget!

14. :headbang: Right On!

16. That's 3 basin in Guzz where most of the de-commisioned SSN's are. Warspite is the only one with the fin removed if you google earth it.

17. So the graveyard then

19. That's the one, same as in Rosyth (R boats, Donut and a couple of V&C's up there)

20. What happened to this one, not British, front not blown off, cut off during recovery, then bow destroyed and never recovered, 2 men stood at the back of what used to be the bomb shop

Attached Files: