Who remebers home for old and new vessles?

Lost 18 months of my life on that Rust Bucket ... Thing was falling to bits in late 80's - early 90's when I was on her ... just needed a dockayard matey with a windy hammer in the right place and she would have fallen apart there and then!

Mind did have a particularly good trip out to the States / Windies on her .... very nice young filly in Ft Lauderdale springs to mind ... she could still make an old man very happy!

Anyone got any interior phots of either of these two LPDs? Would be interesting to see why the crews got Hard Layers\Liners (??) pay.

Anyone got any interior phots of either of these two LPDs? Would be interesting to see why the crews got Hard Layers\Liners (??) pay.

Not sure I ever did! Typical old style messes ... three tier bunks around the mess square - I was 2D PO's mess ... think there was 16 or 24 of us in there ... (might be wrong). Embarked Force messes were a bit more spartan (bunks in cages I think).

Tiddly ... was on her in '88 so spect you remember the tiffs portacabins up on 02 deck ... was part of the T Boat there on my daily walk round (escape from the Sick Bay).

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
MG,Yes I remember them well, the climb up the vertical ladders up the side of the superstructure every morning made them hard to forget!

:ncool::eek:mg::blank:One for the S/M's just before my time, this incident started her early retirement to the razor blade yard[/QUOTE
Artemis doing additional, unauthorised watertight checks at Dolphin.
Yes, remember the incident well. We were tied up at Fountain Lake if memory serves (type 15, 'Undaunted'). Was in civvies just about to leave the mess for a run ashore when the 'Subsunk (or was it subsmash?) signal was received onboard. Swift change into ovies and down to the boiler room to 'flash up'. Found out later the incident was just across the way at 'Dolphin'! Short time later we got the word to 'shut down' and my run ashore plans resumed. Until we found out what was going on, we thought a sub was lost (at sea) and we along with everything else that could sail in Pompey Dockyard, were going to look for it....Those were the days....and had ships aplenty, even if some of them were old type 15's....they could still 'ping' for boats and did pretty well at it too.

Ok....now on course for 2012...lol

Yes, remember the incident well. We were tied up at Fountain Lake if memory serves (type 15, 'Undaunted'). Was in civvies just about to leave the mess for a run ashore when the 'Subsunk (or was it subsmash?) signal was received onboard. Swift change into ovies and down to the boiler room to 'flash up'. Found out later the incident was just across the way at 'Dolphin'! Short time later we got the word to 'shut down' and my run ashore plans resumed. Until we found out what was going on, we thought a sub was lost (at sea) and we along with everything else that could sail in Pompey Dockyard, were going to look for it....Those were the days....and had ships aplenty, even if some of them were old type 15's....they could still 'ping' for boats and did pretty well at it too.
I was duty on ULSTER that night, so same dit!

My ex father in law was instrumental in saving the boat that night, as he was duty in DOLPHIN and went onboard shutting hatches etc - horses and stable doors etc.

What happened to this one, not British, front not blown off, cut off during recovery, then bow destroyed and never recovered, 2 men stood at the back of what used to be the bomb shop

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Miscellaneous 0
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0
LancashireHussar Current Affairs 8