Who Really Supports Our Armed Forces

Hitback

Lantern Swinger
dt018a9667.

Thats great news, I look forward to see her name on the list soon. If we can get friends to email their MP's via the RBL link that would be great.
There are now 176 MPs signed up to the EDM 288.

Hitback

Hitback

Lantern Swinger
The FOI from the MoD turned up in the Morning Post on Saturday. At a glance I've noticed the extent of in which Veterans are suffering under this Legislation. The problem is be placed firmly towards Charities, which I believe is incorrect. This is a Governmental issue and should be dealt with by Ministers. By that I mean, Changing the current legislation by removing 199(2)and(3) and investing more cash towards social housing and the area of homelessness. They could always introduce Minister Donation Day, where as they give up a days pay and exspense's, to aid homelessness charities?

I will be placing some of the information from the MoD on here over the next couple of day's.

Regards

hitback

Hitback

Lantern Swinger
The following question was asked by Mrs Nadine Dorries MP. The reply is by Mr Derek Twigg MP Under-Secretary of State for Defence and Minister for Veterans. The second link is a question from Nadine to Yvette Cooper MP for the DCLG. Interesting reply. At least we have got them looking at the issue of Local Connection and it's affects on service leavers.

Well done all those taking part in this very important issue.

Hitback

Derek Twigg
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2007-02-20a.119670.h

Yvette Cooper
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2007-02-19a.119671.h&s=section:wrans+speaker:11397#g119671.q0

Hitback

Lantern Swinger
Those that have emailed their MP's should of got a reply by now. If you haven't then please write them a letter asking why they have ignored your request. The Tory Party has twice the number of MP's backing this EDM in comparison to the Labour Party, is it because this government doesn't care about our needs?

This link will give you your MP's name and send a letter asking thm to support EDM 288.
http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/content/Problems-with-Social-Housing-513998.shtml

Hitback

Lantern Swinger
Those that have emailed their MP's should of got a reply by now. If you haven't then please write them a letter asking why they have ignored your request. The Tory Party has twice the number of MP's backing this EDM in comparison to the Labour Party, is it because this government doesn't care about our needs?

This link will give you your MP's name and send a letter asking thm to support EDM 288.
http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/content/Problems-with-Social-Housing-513998.shtml

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
My local MP is Graham Allen (Labour Party) and I've just sent the British Legion E-mail. If he can be bothered to reply I'll let you know what he has to say. I had already signed the Downing Street petition.

Hitback

Lantern Swinger
This was placed on another site by another user, but explains, I believe the need to get the legislation changed.

Hitback

I've just spent a year doing a financial planning and counselling course (in own time using own money) so I speak with a least a minimum of knowledge...

£30k for round figures...

Lets take the Skipton building society...I know this establishment and trust it...I don't agree with some of it's policies but it's a money making firm with it's own bills to pay...

They will loan you four times your pay...This IMO is too much but a bull housing market means anything less just comes no-where near you achieving bricks and mortar...

4 x 30,000 = £120000.

Lets say you've managed to save £6000 which nicely works out at 5% deposit on a £126,000 house/flat...You'll avoid stamp duty due to being below the min threshold but you'll probably incur a loan to value (LTV) penalty due to your small deposit of around £2500 or you can go for a mortgage with less competitive intrest rate (they'll get it back off you in one way or another!)...this can be added to your mortgage along with probably £500-700 of arrangement fees...you'll have to find the £3-400 search fee's and the £500-700 legal fees...

Lets see how this stacks up then

mortgage size = 120000+2500+700 =£123200
initial outlay = 6000+400+700+1260 = £8360

A repayment mortgage based on a rate of 5.5% over 25 years will be £756 a month (figures used will and can change but this is a generalisation based on median values)

Add on a grade 'B' council tax charge of £100 per month
Water and sewage of £25 per month
Electric of £25 per month
Gas of £35 per month
telephone of £20 per month
Biuldings and contents £30 per month

756 + 100 + 25 + 25 + 35 + 20 + 30 = £991

I'm going to say that a Cpl techie clears £1650 a month (readjust this figure for your selves or if its totally out)

1650 - 991 = £659

Thats just the basics for just shy of a grand...There's no beer, food (notice my priorities there ), broadband, car running costs, treats for the kids, clothes, school trips, Christmas pressies and costs etc etc etc...

SO...The very long winded point I am making to the 'person' who I think was drinking and typing is that a person on 30 k could afford a house if he was single and had the ability to save £8360 or was married and his wife worked or if not then they intend to live the life of a monk...

HOWEVER...Where the fook are you going to find a house (outside of perhaps Lincoln) for £126,000 in the UK that you would actually want to live in?????

mikh

MIA
Emailed my MP (Tony Cunningham (Lab)) at the weekend, and received a letter from him today, so please with the prompt response, However due to the fact that he is a government whip he is 'not allowed' to sign Early Day Motions. He will however write to the relevant minister and get back in touch with me once he has a responce.

AAC could you tell me why as a 'whip' he cannot sign EDM's??????

mikh said:
Emailed my MP (Tony Cunningham (Lab)) at the weekend, and received a letter from him today, so please with the prompt response, However due to the fact that he is a government whip he is 'not allowed' to sign Early Day Motions. He will however write to the relevant minister and get back in touch with me once he has a responce.

AAC could you tell me why as a 'whip' he cannot sign EDM's??????
Mikh,

In a word: Convention.

For a full explanation and the rules governing EDMs I suggest you read the factsheet below:

House of Commons Information Office Factsheet P3 [PDF document]

Or you can request a hardcopy from:

House of Commons Information Office
E: [email protected]
T: 020 7219 4272 (open 0900-1800 Mon-Thurs & 0900-1600 Fri)

AAC.

I have also placed a copy of this reply in the Westminster thread in Current Affairs for future reference.

Hitback

Lantern Swinger
mikh, would you please place his response on here when you get it. Most of the Labour Party Mps have failed to either reply to their Constituent or stated they are unable to sign EDMs. The support Labour has given has been disgraceful but we wouldn't expect anything more from Labour, should we?

There are Local elections all around the UK in Maywe can have our say then by not voting for Labour Councillors in our constituancies !!!!

Regards

hitback

elovabloke said:
AAC - great fact sheet and will help in my responces to MP's. It states that
Ministers & Whips do not normally sign
- not cannot sign.
True elovebloke, but there's still convention. Still it might be worth quoting the factsheet at them. The other thing you might wish to consult is Erskine May, the Parliamentarian's Bible, setting out the procedural rules of conduct, etc, by MPs.

For more on Sir Thomas Erskine May (a former Assistant Librarian at the House) see: http://www.parliament.uk/parliamentary_publications_and_archives/parliamentary_archives/archives___erskine_may_exhibition.cfm

Steve.

Hitback

Lantern Swinger
I believe the House is open tomorrow and our Political Master will be back to work! If we could get those emails ready to send and hit them on there first day back that would be great. My understanding was, they were getting an awful lot of emails on this issue which made them sit up and listen. There are Local election coming up soon, so lets get them to back us on this issue.

The DCLG has failed to meet its own deadline. I will email them tomorrow asking for the information again! If they fail to reply I will contact the complaints department

Regards

hitback

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
Jimmy_Green said:
My local MP is Graham Allen (Labour Party) and I've just sent the British Legion E-mail. If he can be bothered to reply I'll let you know what he has to say. I had already signed the Downing Street petition.
Well, two weeks later and Graham Allen (or anyone from his office) has still failed to reply to my e-mail which just goes to show what contempt he so obviously holds for serving personnel that are his constituents. Yesterday someone from the Labour Party shoved their party literature through my letter box. It got screwed up and went straight in the bin. Come local election time I will vote for ANYONE but Labour.

Hitback said:
I believe the House is open tomorrow and our Political Master will be back to work! If we could get those emails ready to send and hit them on there first day back that would be great. My understanding was, they were getting an awful lot of emails on this issue which made them sit up and listen. There are Local election coming up soon, so lets get them to back us on this issue.

The DCLG has failed to meet its own deadline. I will email them tomorrow asking for the information again! If they fail to reply I will contact the complaints department

Regards

hitback
The House is in Recess until next Monday (Parliament returns and resumes Business on 16 April). Your MP may be available at Westminster or more probably (if not on holiday) you will find him/her in their constituency office.

AAC.

Hitback

Lantern Swinger
This is an interesting point being made by an observer. The House of Commons resumes on the 16th of this month, so get those email ready to send.

Regards

Hitback

This is how a recent commentator described the predicament of a significant number of ex-service personnel who find themselves without any affordable accommodation on leaving the services. The homeless predicament often leads onto jobless status because of their homeless status and in time the break up of their marriage.
Many are young service personnel who have been discharged with mental and physical wounds and have not had time to get into the housing market but are discriminated against when applying for social housing. Service personnel on discharge are not given affinity points like civilians who gain these points for living in a particular area. Service personnel are allowed no points because of their itinerate life style, a life style imposed on them in the service of their country.
The legislation is unfair and especially so with forces personnel engaged in two wars and with an ever increasing tempo of active service operations. The British Armed Forces Federation, The Royal British Legion and the Army Families Federation are all involved with this campaign to amend the current legislation so that ex-forces personnel are given the same opportunity when applying for social housing as any civilian, no more or no less. However, until the current housing legislation is changed it is patently unfair in its present form.
We need the help of all service personnel, their family, and friends in supporting an Early Day Motion in the House of Commons in order to get the legislation changed. Please go to the Royal British Legion link at the bottom of this page, it finds your MP, writes the letter and all you have to do is send it! There is an old parliamentary saying ‘the door that squeaks gets the attention! We all need to squeak!
We need your help, go on the link or copy this and send it to family and friends. It only takes a couple of minutes.

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/content/Campaigning-513626.shtml

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Coggie History 1
C Joining the Royal Navy 5
superpom Diamond Lil's 84