Who pays the legal bills?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by seafarer1939, May 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just another question for legal eagles that perplexes me.
    In the USA and here I suppose,accused murderers,child killers etc are defended,in some cases,by very expensive law firms.
    Now these prisoners are some of the most deranged killers alive so who pays for these top flight lawyers.
    They are entitled to a public defender but these law firms are the cream of the cream. Who foots their bill?
    I realise that some hope to use the trial as a way of enhancing careers or providing the basis for a future book but there are so many top firms representing multiple killers of the worst kind who stand no chance of release.
    Who funds their massive bill.
    Is it Amnesty with that Stafford bloke? They are not on my charity list!
    I once saw him trying to get a death row inmate spared after he admitted raping and killing three young children,I was rather hoping that Stafford ended up in the chair by a mistake but that's just me.
    Just a trivial question to satisfy an old man's curiosity if you can.
  2. One advantage is they can't appeal on the basis of poor legal representation.
    I would rather pay for them to have the best lawyers out there and have them found guilty than poor lawyers and them released later on a technicality due to their original lawyer being piss poor
  3. Also I would rather have strong advocacy for fair trials, and the risk of guilty going free than torture chambers filled with whoever plod can grab off the streets to fill their arrest quota as happens in certain tinpot dictatorships
  4. Most of us view the legal profession as a pretty mercenary bunch but as I understand it there are those who will take on a High Vis. job on what is known as a "Pro Bono"(I think) basis which means doing it for free(or pretty much so) rather than their usual fee.I not certain of their motives for this perhaps one of them will tell us.
  5. I was under the impression that one of the statements made whenever someone is arrested (here and in the US) goes something like "If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be provided for you"

If that is the case, the implication is that if you want a top flight legal eagle you pay for it - if you don't pay for it you get what comes out of the box under the desk.
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There are many "lower deck" ones here who gladly give their advice 'pro bono' to those that will listen (although I would advise some others not to...) :wink: