Who is this person?

Discussion in 'History' started by w6okey, Apr 21, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. a3 001 (582x800).jpg
    Going through my great grandfathers photos I found this photo.
    Does anyone recognise him.
  2. w60key. You might find it helpful to post this sort of thing in the History forum.

Some members may miss it here because, by preference, they concentrate that aspect of the site.

Good luck.
  3. Moved to the History forum.
  4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The script would appear to read;

Your's [sic] sincerely J M S (?) Hughes

dated 17 7 10 ( so not the American style )

Naval officers' dressiest uniforms were much the same in those days, a bit like JRs' now. The hat looks Austro-Hungarian but the name suggests not. There is another script on the mounting; a full photoshop program may help you to isolate and sharpen the detail.

Sorry, no definitive answer, just some pointers.
  5. Certainly looks Victorian.
    The Victorians loved having their photographs taken and many of the photographers supplied fancy clothing for the occasion.
    Could it be that it's just a photograph of an early Walt:flower:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Looks USN. no loop above the rings also hat looks somilar to US hats of the time
  7. If that sword's actually slightly curved, and it's not just a dodgy angle, then that also points to USN. Always worth bearing in mind (although this phot isn't RN), that non seaman officers didn't have the *executive* curl until the very late 19th century in Britain either. If it wasn't for the fact that he's not RN, he actually could be on that basis, if you see what I mean.
  8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

And although the date 17 7 10 appears -not a Victorian date - doesn't mean the picture was taken on that date.
  9. No star or other symbol above the rings though. They were introduced in 1864 for USN.
  10. See the picture 12th down here. There's a variety of uniform button numbers here (including 7 as per our man) and at least one bicorn that fits the bill. Soundings in Narragansett Bay's Naval History: January 2011

So, best guess is the USN. HST, one that worries me is the cockade on the bicorn, avec cockade, which is very French. The shape of the bicorn is actually that of the Imperial Russian Navy. I really must get out more.

So it's either an officer of the USN, or a bloke wearing the contents of a dressing up box....
  11. Although the Yanks have visible white shirts at the top of their jackets, which this bloke doesn't. They also (unlike the US army of the time) don't have the fore and aft crossbar over the epaulettes. This slowly pushes back towards French influence, which is right for the USN, but I can't find a late 19th century French captain in full dress to compare.