Who Invented the Ski-Jump Ramp?

Discussion in 'History' started by SILVER_FOX, Jul 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ladies, Gentlement and others,

A friend has asked me if I know who invented the Ski-Jump Ramp currently in use on our great ships today. Personally, I haven't a clue and Wikipedia doesn't have a lot to say about it.

Information will be gratefully received and passed on.

:thanks: :thumright:

PS: Not a WAFU wannabee ... honest. It really is for a friend! ^_^;
  2. Nice quick response harry - I'm grateful. I'll pass it on and then begin to ask questions why my pal has just become so interested in WAFU matters.

3. You must lead away from the Dark Side SF, bring him into the light, into a nice S+S job.
  4. Beg to differ but the "ski ramp" was invented during WW2, I remember being shown a picture of an armed up Barracuda taking off from one.
    Obviously it wasn't as big as the ones we have now due to propellors but it was an old idea updated.
  5. Don't try and be a spoil sport, Chockhead :) otherwise I will point out that some French guy in the 1870's also came up with the idea! Anyway, we all know what Silver-Fox was looking for.

Taylor gets a mention in this very interesting obit of Norman Hancock, designer of Swiftsure, Invincible and Broadsword.

Thanks for this thread, SF, I've enjoyed reading around it. What has been very interesting also are the number of academic papers written by Indian Navy engineers which are gracious enough to refer to Taylor's ideas (which were, by all accounts, worked out in his PhD).
  6. He is ex S&S TA. He tried the RN but they shafted him.

More of the story though ... he says he is currently working with another ex RN who claims to have invented it. I'm trying to get further details.

Anyone got a pitcure of Lt Cdr Douglas Taylor so we can organise a line up?

7. I've been wracking my brains out because I am certain I read a piece where he talks about having invented it whilst taking a bath and playing with a duck or something. I remember it because it invoked that other bath tiem story. However, I don't imagine Taylor ran naked down the streets shouting something Wafu sounding like 'Launch Shar One', or whatever it is they say. :)

Ooops! Edited to fill in the missing words.
  8. I can vaugely remember the invention being put forward by the officers wife. I believe that it had something to do with the fact that as a serving member of the armed forces (and other business ventures) anything invented during firms time becomes the intellectual property of the company.
  9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Re Slim's post about the wife .. I seem to remember a story that the Jubilee Clip was invented by a Chief ERA and patented by his wife for the same reason.
  10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, I heard that a SR invented it, and told his Boss, who subsquently patented the idea... dockyard buzz, then? 8O
  11. Wouldn't be the first time that happened though.

12. "It was me - it was me!"

13. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Which is partially correct. You are awarded a donation from Public Funds for your contribution toward the invention, and if you are dead lucky a small honorarium from the Herbert Lott fund.. I mentioned that I could have patented my invention when I recieved my award, only to be quietly advised that the MoD would have 'invented their own version' by the time I had it patented anyway. I took the money. It paid for my divorce.

14. Don't know who invented it but I was on Invincible 1st commission - in discussion with some bod from 801 Sqdn who said it would be better if the angle (degree) was increased for take off. I think Lusty and Ark have higher ramps?

15. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Invincible was originally fitted with a 7 degree ski ramp, as was Illustrious. Ark was retrofittted in build with a 12 degree one and subsequent RPs saw the other ships get their 12 degree ramps.

16. I believe that Hermes had a 12 degree ramp.

17. I'm fairly certain the very first "Ski Ramp" was an adaptation of the old and trusted Bailey Bridge. To get the actual uplift for the ramp, all they did was to enlarge the holes for the main deck bolts.
    Can anyone confirm for me that the Royal Engineers put up the first one at RNAS Yeovilton in the early 70's?
  18. Think it actually went up at Bedford first, but yes ISTR it was a bailey based thing.
  19. I believe that you are correct sgtpepperband, I was always led to believe that two Chiefs had come up with the basic concept, they took their idea to their boss who then went off and refined it and took the Herbert Lott money.

The chiefs saw this, complained and were eventually awarded something in the region of £12000.