Who are your idols?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by tiddlyoggy, Aug 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Frogman's comments about Lawrence Dallaglio in the MCMV thread got me thinking. Who are your greatest idols and why.
    I'll kick it off, in no particular order:
    1. Lawrence Dallaglio. The only player to play every minute of England's 03 world cup campaign and would have remained England captain throughout Woodward's reign were it not for the stupid newspaper sting he fell for. A genuine never say die attitude and has often shrugged off massive hits as if nothing happened. I also love the loyalty of "one club men" in any sport, a rare quality these days when money talks so loudly in most sports.
    2. Marvin Hagler. No frills, just business like approach to getting the job done. Lost??? a very controversial decision to the media darling Sugar Ray Leonard, and retired not long after as Leonard refused to offer him a rematch. Apart from Ali, the greatest boxer ever IMO.
    3. Paul Weller. Musical genius and the coolest man ever.
    4. My Dad. Corny I know, but he put up with a lot of shit from the adolescent tiddly with the utmost patience and always gave me good advice. He got me where I am today without a doubt.

Over to you guys then.
  2. The wife's Gynaecologist, offered to decorate the house for me through the letterbox.
  3. As a kid:

1. Diego Maradona. Awesome footballer, intriguing character. The best ever.
    2. Frank Bruno. Yes he was shite but as a little kid he was my hero. Glad he got a title in the end, albeit a bit of a joke.
    3. Bernard Hinault. Used to raz around pretending to be him on my fake Raleigh banananaanana.
    4. Franz Klammer. Blame Ski Sunday, a household name in a country with no ski-ing.
    5. Marvin Hagler. The true star of 80's boxing, my earliest boxing memory is seeing a betamax of him beating Roberto Duran. Tyson can fuck off, the bumfighting no-mark.
    6. Ian Botham. Legend, end of.

Honorable mentions go to Marco Pantani, Naseem Hamed, Paul Gascoigne and Thomas Hearns.

Now though, I struggle to think of anyone. Everyone is human to me and I can't really call anyone an 'idol'.

Edited to add: I have just noticed that many of my child and teenage heros have a history of drug, alcohol and domestic abuse. Interesting.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  4. tiddlyoggy

I'd agree with Botham's sporting achievements, but he filled in a matelot in Scunthorpe in the 80's. I find that hard to forgive!
  5. I've few idols to be honest.

Firstly both my grandfathers are both are WW2 veterans survivors of Dunkirk and Normandy included in that. I only knew one of them though :(

My dad next although not doing anything special as such he did 36 years at sea in the Merchant Navy to provide for our family.

My sporting idol - Eddie Izzard.
    Although I like his comedy he's not my idol because of that. It's because of his 43 marathons he did that inspired me during my training for my first marathon and still inspires me now as I still run. I think until you've run a marathon or ultra you won't understand the achievement he did or feel his pain. Whether you like him or not as a person, his achievement overcome that.

I am a fan of other sporting athletes but none I call idols.

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Why not............. maybe the matelot deserved to be filled in...........I've known many who have.
  7. tiddlyoggy

The way the dit was spun locally was that the young matelot had only asked for a photo etc. Botham allegedly flashed for no reason and gave him a good hiding.
  8. If that was the case then I fully agree with you.
  9. My heroes are Phil the Greek & me man Boris.
    Both shoot from the lip and both speak a lot of sense
  10. Kevin Ward, prop forward, played over 300 games for Castleford. Had a couple of seasons down under with Manly before ending his career at Saints.
    Kevin Ward was probably the hardest rugby league player to never throw a punch in anger. An affable gentle giant off the pitch, the Yorkshire born prop forward could make an entire opposing front row shit their collective shorts with a thousand yard Yosser Hughes style stare. It was very rare that Kevin ever had to clout anyone – no one would have been daft enough to provoke him.
  11. Montigny-La-Palisse.......His wit and wisdom is legendry........futhermore, anyone who can morph from a golliwog to the Son of God is 'not of this world' :angel5:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I'm a bit confused. Is it sporting idols with a singer thrown in? Or sports/singers and the odd relative? Or is it just general? Serious question. Not piss taking, just surprised at the amount of sports people and wondered if that was the intended theme.
  13. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'll go with Weller as I lost my cherry after a Jam gig, but the rest are just losers - 2 well documented, but I'll take your dad as well he's produced you...
  14. Eh ?..............
  15. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Dellaglio vs Drugs and Hagman vs Leonard. is that simple enough for you...

I tried to type really slowly so that you could keep up....
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  16. Hagman?

That hat reminds me, here is one of my genuine heroes:

17. Used to be called Shorpe but then they added Botham. :tongue6:
  18. He's a fuckin amateur, there's blokes on here can as you say "morph" into multiple personalities.
    Now that's class.
    And there are certain mods I'm told are real idol.
  19. My five would be in no particular order:

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
    Horatio Hornblower
    Martin Luther King
    James Varne
    Nelson Mandela
  20. As I mentioned for me it's Lawrence Nero Bruno Dallaglio. A god in my eyes.