Who actually fires the weapons on boats?

I'm joining up to go in submarines soon (probably engineering, maybe warfare) and I can't see anywhere that it says who actually operates the weapons. Any ideas? (Sorry if this should have gone in the Newbies section or it's been asked 9999999 times before)

Who actually fires? Well, there are 2 large red fire buttons (Not talking about SSBNs here) in the control room - one for torpdoes (we call them weapons) and one for TLAMs. When the skipper shouts contact, bearing xxx, FIRE SPEARFISH / TLAM, the person nearest the button reaches over and smacks it. Jobs a good 'un.

Hope this helps.

Who actually fires? Well, there are 2 large red fire buttons (Not talking about SSBNs here) in the control room - one for torpdoes (we call them weapons) and one for TLAMs. When the skipper shouts contact, bearing xxx, FIRE SPEARFISH / TLAM, the person nearest the button reaches over and smacks it. Jobs a good 'un.

Hope this helps.
So who's normally in this area at the time? I would presume weapons engineers, but?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer

Hope this helps.
Does this include the 4" Deck Gun or Orleikan (SP) or the Bridge Bren Guns?

Does this include the 4" Deck Gun or Orleikan (SP) or the Bridge Bren Guns?

You're a very bad boy Janner - trying to wind me up. As you well know the boat must be surfaced to operate the deck gun or bridge mouted GPMGs - and this is when the small red FIRE button under the bridge windows is used. Same rules apply, closest to it hits it.

So who exactly is in this area normally? Is it WE? Or is this normally Officers only? (sorry if that last question seems retarded, but I'm new here)

Last edited:
Just curiosity on my part, Mike - what inspired your interest in this particular aspect?
I don't know, I like the idea of pressing the big red "fire" button...:twisted:
Also, it doesn't actually say anywhere in any of the literature my AFCO have given me

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
So who exactly is in this area normally? Is it WE? Or is this normally Officers only? (sorry if that last question seems retarded, but I'm new here)

Officers are never allowed to touch weapons, its dangerous for everyone else. Its no good using the Royal WE either, that will get you no where

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
You're a very bad boy Janner - trying to wind me up. As you well know the boat must be surfaced to operate the deck gun or bridge mouted GPMGs - and this is when the small red FIRE button under the bridge windows is used. Same rules apply, closest to it hits it.
I'm sure you know SB the Boat is still only half surfaced when the first round goes away!

I heard that the bloke who fired the first TLAM into Afghan was actually a Steward and he happened to be going past the button with the skippers coffee when the shout went up; lucky sod eh? Talk about right place at the right time, that's a dit he'll tell his kids and grand-kids
Funnily enough I was actually on that boat "at the time of the incident" as they say and many a true word spoken in jest 8) (it's a dit mind)