Who actually fires the weapons on boats?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Mike777, Mar 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm joining up to go in submarines soon (probably engineering, maybe warfare) and I can't see anywhere that it says who actually operates the weapons. Any ideas? (Sorry if this should have gone in the Newbies section or it's been asked 9999999 times before)

2. Who actually fires? Well, there are 2 large red fire buttons (Not talking about SSBNs here) in the control room - one for torpdoes (we call them weapons) and one for TLAMs. When the skipper shouts contact, bearing xxx, FIRE SPEARFISH / TLAM, the person nearest the button reaches over and smacks it. Jobs a good 'un.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 2
  3. So who's normally in this area at the time? I would presume weapons engineers, but?

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Does this include the 4" Deck Gun or Orleikan (SP) or the Bridge Bren Guns?

5. You're a very bad boy Janner - trying to wind me up. As you well know the boat must be surfaced to operate the deck gun or bridge mouted GPMGs - and this is when the small red FIRE button under the bridge windows is used. Same rules apply, closest to it hits it.

6. So who exactly is in this area normally? Is it WE? Or is this normally Officers only? (sorry if that last question seems retarded, but I'm new here)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  7. Just curiosity on my part, Mike - what inspired your interest in this particular aspect?

8. I don't know, I like the idea of pressing the big red "fire" button...:twisted:
    Also, it doesn't actually say anywhere in any of the literature my AFCO have given me

9. janner

Officers are never allowed to touch weapons, its dangerous for everyone else. Its no good using the Royal WE either, that will get you no where

10. janner

I'm sure you know SB the Boat is still only half surfaced when the first round goes away!

11. I wouldn't worry about Mike, you'll have to be a Senior rate/Officer before you get to that stage. Look up W.E. Fire Contollers.

12. janner

Don't listen to WreckerL Mike, he is not even allowed sharp things, let alone proper bangy type weapons

13. Not quite true Janner, I was allowed sharp things when doing maintenance. Sharp pencil, clear conscience for maintence cards!!

14. You live and learn!

I always thought it was who ever threw the first double got to press the big red button!!:eek:mfg:

15. I always thought that privilege was reserved for the bloke who trapped the biggest gronk on the previous run ashore

16. It's actually done by the bloke who doesn't watch where he puts his coffee cup down.

17. I always thought the big red fire button rang the bell thingy tied to the bulkhead and when it rang everyone goes outside

I'll get my cozt

18. I meant WE as in Weapons Engineer....

19. Funnily enough I was actually on that boat "at the time of the incident" as they say and many a true word spoken in jest 8) (it's a dit mind)

20. You have much to learn Grasshopper!