Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by festa_the_tiff, Nov 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi heard a dit that whistling is a sign of munity and the only ppl that can on a warship r chefs to prove they are not spitting or eating. Does anybody know if this is true and if so where is it in QRRNS?
  2. I believe it was to do with interfering with the duty bosun whistle player and what he was piping the ship company to do in the ship.

Going back to the old Navy days. :dwarf:
  3. The practice of whistling is forbidden in HM ships because the noise is apt to be confused with the piping of orders. It is usually anything but sweet, except in the ears of the perpetrator, and is more often than not a cause of annoyance to his messmates. (BR??? - seamanship manual - issued to all trainees in the 70's and used as a template for folding kit - unlike simple A4 nowadays)
  4. Doesnt take alot to confuse the Seaman branch ^_^; A person whistling and someone blowing the bosun :thumright: whistle. Very difficult to distinguish from each other. OR listen to the tannoy for relevant pipes. errrrrrr errrrrrrrrr HANDS TO ACTION STATIONS etc etc etc .

I love tradition :bball: :thumright: :dwarf: :w00t:
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Conversely it was actually possible to be charged for making no sound at all!

The charge "Dumb Insolence" was used for those that simply pulled a face or did not respond when spoken to by a superior officer.

Obviously, the same rule could be applied to a lookout who kept schtum when a "Land Ho" wouldn't have gone amiss. (HMS Nottingham springs to mind)
  6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

This goes back long before there were Tannoys - it's an ancient superstition of the sea never to whistle. Like stopping a ringing glass. Keeps us in touch with those centuries ago who were just like us, but had a much tougher time.
  7. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

"Silent Contempt" it was called.

I know, because I was threatened with troopage for it.

8. And I spent 28 days in Tanglin MCTC for the very crime of "silent Contempt" to a Leading Patrol man in 1969. And he was still an Ar$ehole.......
  9. Now for the real reason;

Whistling is forbidden in the Royal Navy because that was the method used for communication at the Nore mutiny in the 18th century.

Seems Naval history isn't talked about much in training these days. :thumright:
  10. As a keen whistler myself, feck knows why I just always seem to be chirping away, I was suitably bolocked on day1, week 1 of Training at CTC for warbling (very quietly) while attempting to make my first bed block.
    "A signal of mutiny." was the reason given.
    Now just do it to wind up the wife.
  11. The Vikings had a superstition that whistling onboard would generate gale winds, which spread to many traditional sailing cultures around the world.

12. What happend to the capt?

Havent seen to many HMships get towed astern coming into Newcastle harbour (NSW).
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You are indeed correct, dumb insolence was the act, silent contempt was the charge. :thumright:
  14. He was promoted wasn't he? :afro:
  15. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Capt Farrington is the COS at the Maritime Battlestaff. There are few Officers as good as him! A top notch individual.
  16. Thanks to every1 for their input, does any1 know if it is actually written anywhere as naval law?
  17. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

It's not a law, it's a custom, handed down for hundreds of years like so much else.
  18. Whistling Long time ago when employed picking strawberries it was compulsory that you whistled that way they know you are picking and not eating the strawberries.

Just in case any of you deck apes decide on a career picking strawberries when you come out :bball:
  19. You need to be from Poland for that job I think.
  20. A ruling on this used to be contained in SMP 6 - a submarine 'bible'/book of rules that we all used to read when undertaking our part 3 on diesel boats. It was a sort of 'Standing Orders' for submarines. I think it just appeared as a one liner - 'Whistling is not allowed on HM Submarines' or words to that effect.