Which University?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Marshmallow, Mar 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I just wondered whether I should go to a university with a URNU?

Basically I'm in my last year at sixthform, and I will be going to university this September to study Geography and then I'm going to join as a warfare officer (I have passed the RT, Medical and PJFT). I have offers from Exeter, Cardiff and Plymouth, and I think I'm gong to put Exeter as my first choice, however it doesn't have an URNU, whereas Cardiff (my second choice) does have one. The reason why I'm asking is because I am applying for a bursary, hence why I have done the RT etc. even though I'm not joining for 3/4 years.

Any advice or thoughts would be helpful!

2. - - - bump - - -

3. Hello,

Firstly congratulations on your offers and bursary :D I am still in the application process so I cannot comment on the navy side, but I am at Uni so I can pass off any advice I have regarding that! As long as it is not a stipulation of the bursary that you need to join an URNU (my friends with the army have had to join the OTC but again I am not a recruiter etc so have no idea of the navy's bursary rules...), I would say go with Exeter. Even though Cardiff is just as highly regarded academically and is in an amazing city, 3 years is a long time to be in one place, and you will achieve so much more being somewhere you truly want to be. Even without an URNU, Exeter will have an array of sports, activities, challenges (like climbing killimanjaro etc at a highly discounted price) to keep you busy and help stregthen your application further. I would maybe talk to your AFCO regarding URNU, and if not then go Exeter. Just not Plymouth!

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Generally those good enough to be awarded a Bursary automatically become a member of the nearest URNU as an associate member if they are within reasonable commuting range.

For example students from Lancaster Uni attend Liverpool URNU, students at Reading Uni attend Oxford URNU, etc.

5. After 3 years in the RN, it will matter not if you've been to an URNU. Go to a uni you like and a city you'll enjoy - they are much more important.

6. Thanks for the replies everyone! So as an associate member I would be expected to commute to the nearest URNU which from Exeter would probably be Bristol? (If I went to Exeter.) And I haven't completely made up my mind of where I'm going to go yet, because I still really liked Cardiff, it's just Exeter is a lot more 'prestigious' than Cardiff. (I'm still undecided whether that matters or not!)

I was going to phone up the AFCO on Monday anyway because I just got my selection interview date in the post and it's right in the middle of my exams, so I'm going to ask to change it and then I can ask about the URNU and bursary!

7. Cardiff is highly regarded, you have oxford and cambridge at the top, and then a cluster of respectable ones ie) cardiff and exter and others, then the average ones i reckon. I have a lot of friends that went to cardiff, and all of them without exeption walked into their dream jobs. The city is amazing too! I dont have much experience of exeter, but if you prefer it then worry about the commute (if you have to do it at all...) later. Maybe once you have found out from the afco, email both and request another look round? Unis go out of there way to recruit these days, and you can maybe try to chat to some students already there, theyll be very honest! Uni is amazing though, im kinda jealous cause im about to graduate!

8. I know a few people that have been to both! And I have looked around both of them, but I don't have to decide until May so I can afford to delay my decision for a bit! Thanks for the advice!