Which running shoes are issued at HMS Raleigh?

Hi everyone, I have a projected entry date of Nov and I am in need of new running shoes. So I figured I may as well mould my feet to whatever is standard issue nowadays.

After mucho googling I have found that at some point Hi-Tec Silver Shadow, UKGear PT-03, UKGear PT1000, UKGear GT-02, Magnum M.U.S.T have (possibly) been issued. I can't find what is the norm now. Can anyone help?

If everyones biomechanics are different and you're given the choice of one shoe then it makes sense to me to prepare using that shoe. I just wanted help identifying it. Cheers anyway.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
If everyones biomechanics are different and you're given the choice of one shoe then it makes sense to me to prepare using that shoe. I just wanted help identifying it. Cheers anyway.
You are thinking too hard about it, trust me, I may know a little bit about the subject.

Christ on a bike, it was so much simpler when we all had to do cross-country in pusser's issue daps... and then have them pristine white for PT the following morning :rolleyes:

Sorry, a bit of irrelevant nostalgia there - time for bed. BOINNGG! :D

Question.
Whats the argument against using this particular shoe?
Answer
Its a tad ****!!! Wont allow my naughty word - so the area near your sphincter!!!
Whats next, what pen will I be using, I'd like to familiarise myself with the type of ink!!!!
You'll get issued whatever shoe, running, dress the MoD has negotiated with its suppliers. Just do what the rest of your recruitment will do - wear them!
Whats to say the MoD won't change their shoe supplier just as you join!
Way to late or early in the morning for this sh1t!!!!!
As Ballistic said, time for bed! Oooop's no! I'm supposed to be working!!!, (same -same)

SOB94

Lantern Swinger
Don't worry about the shoes you're going to wear, there's so much more for you to care about, making sure you're fit for the IMF sessions and your kit should be priority.

@Waspie, please don't fall into an "appeal to stupidity" lecture. The question was about a shoe and it extended that far. So basically the answer is, "don't bother because its rubbish so just get it for free". Other than the initial context of the question, that would be the only other useful piece of information to me. So thank you.

By the way, the pen I will be using is Uni-Ball UB150.

Furthermore, there seems to be a startup assumption that I'm not experienced in this matter. Probably my fault because I didn't feel the need to post my biography as I just wanted to know the brand and model of a shoe. After many long distance fell-runs and half-marathons over the past 14 years, my experience tells me that other than bad form and geography, its the shoe that will truly screw your legs over. Which I really don't want if I'm stuck with them for phase 1 and 2 (essentially a year) and I aren't exactly going to give up my hobby.

So that is my reasoning, get used to the shoe so I'm not a whimpering cripple the rest of the time, exactly because there is other stuff to worry about. The six-"P"s come to mind.

Ta muchly

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
We issue the necessary footwear on PRNC to prevent injury, prior to entry.

You'll not run much more than 3 miles in one phys session during training. Pre-conditioning beyond being adequately fit, is not deemed necessary by the Institute of Naval Medicine, not even for Royal Marine Commandos.

The bloke does have a point , 10% of the population are neutral runners , 3% have flat feet the rest are over/under pronaters. Silver Shadows which were issued are neutral running shoes and to issue everyone with these was not a good idea , MOD probably bought a few skip loads as they were cheap. As this bloke is a serious runner he was right to ask the question.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The bloke does have a point , 10% of the population are neutral runners , 3% have flat feet the rest are over/under pronaters. Silver Shadows which were issued are neutral running shoes and to issue everyone with these was not a good idea , MOD probably bought a few skip loads as they were cheap. As this bloke is a serious runner he was right to ask the question.
No-one's disputing whether the question is valid, but it would be interesting how knowing the type of trainer issued can better prepare the individual for entry. On the the joining kitlist we require joiners to also bring their own trainers for recreational phys and advise them which types they should not bring.

One thing that is particularly important to be aware of is that prescribed orthotic insoles, are a permanent bar to entry.

I can tell from the outsole that its a trail/road hybrid type. What I can't tell is its construction or the stock feel. Put two neutral shoes together from two different brands, made for the exact same purpose, in the same size and you've still got two very different shoes that can cause hella problems within the first mile of use. Regular use of which in turn faults knee/ankle allignment, in turn throwing IT band, Piriformis, Achilles, adductors/abductors out of balance, in turn shinsplints, back ache, tendonitis, stress fractures, etc can occur. Theres a ridiculous choice of shoes out there but in reality, with the correct measurement and a bit of mileage, that choice comes down to perhaps 2 or 3 that actually work well for the individual. That is why there is such a massive range of choice.

Regardless, this isn't a choice left up to the individual, its a requirement for the mass. A best case scenario. However, there is the ability for the individual to control the performance of the shoe and the health of their lower limbs... you kinda need the shoe though. I.e. you can make the shoe work (whatever it is) its whether or not you feel comfortable doing that on day one of phase 1, I personally don't.

But then again, I'm also a Yorkshireman and money for arguably sh1t-tier shoes just doesn't translate. I'll just get my normies and see if eBay coughs up some magnums for vivisection.

On the the joining kitlist we require joiners to also bring their own trainers for recreational phys and advise them which types they should not bring.
This reads like it is to avoid overuse of the issued trainers. Is that to keep them presentable for kit muster/PT? Or is it to rest your feet from the shredders you've been issued? ;)

Getting blisters at Raleigh or Lympstone is a god given no matter what you have on your feet. DMS boots used to be a pain on board until you wore them in also.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Maybe it's worth raising a study paper and submitting it to help advise INM how best to make a pair of standard issue trainers perform differently and by advising joiners in advance of their start date. I'm happy to stand corrected and forward the recommendation if there's a genuine, validated reason.

This could hopefully benefit the recruit and ultimately the taxpayer by reducing the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme payouts.

You maybe onto something.

With regard the requirement to also take one's own trainers, it maybe worth an FOI request to INM Alverstoke to ensure there is no conspiracy to knowingly injure recruits.

Alternatively, it could be you're seriously over-thinking it. Every day's a school day - I've raised the question of a fairly broad cross-section of Royal Marine trained ranks and will let you know their opinions in due course.