Which Roles for These Ranks?!?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ToonPatriot, Nov 7, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Tags:
  1. Basically, I am wondering what specific roles, officers have at certain ranks?
    Specifically a Pilot at Lt., L/Cdr. and Cdr. (Such as a flight commander possibly.
    An AEO at the ranks listed above
    And although it is not FAA so probably the wrong forum, A logistics officer. :)
    Cheers guys!

2. Pilots
    Cdr kicks arse
    Lt/Cdr Can wipe his own arse
    Lt Knows where his arse is.
    AEO
    Cdr Has a nice warm office
    Lt/Cdr Has a pen
    LT Is allowed to write in Chinagraph pencil

Logistics officer.
    Cdr Owns everything on a ship
    LT/Cdr Pretends he owns everything on a ship
    Lt Doesn't care who owns anything as long as it aint on his slop chit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Basically for aircrew, you pretty much stop being a pilot when you reach Commander.

For Logistics, you may only see one seagoing appointment after reaching Commander. For AEO, likewise but odds are you'll never serve on a ship more than twice in an entire career.

4. I know several Cdr AE who've never done more than 4 months on a ship.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kinell wonder who they upset to get that long?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. And those will both be cocktail parties......

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Funny world, the FAA. AETs mank like ten when they are told upon joining that they probably won't get to sea for four or five years. They then spend the remainder of their career trying to make sure it's not that soon. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Was it better in the 90s/early 00s? The Sea Harrier days - so were regularly had jets at sea. And Baggers routinely went to sea, sometimes even Junglies......

9. Oh, they've done multiple tours of Bosnia, Iraq, Afghanistan and Sierra Leone, just no sea drafts.

10. Just a reflection of the land centric recent past I guess - the AEO goes where his aircraft go. When we kept a CVS in the Adriatic with SHAR, SK6, and SKW then surely there were AEOs with those squadrons....

11. Ninja_Stoker

There were indeed but my first post in this thread with regard AEOs still applied then, as now.

12. Errr - what were we arguing about?