Which person have you felt most honoured to meet?

frogman007

War Hero
Two P party divers at the diving branch golden jubilee in 2002. These lads went in under the cover darkeness and carried out all types of recces including taking sand samples to see if the beach could take the weight of tanks. They also went in and cleared the ordnance around the X hedges. Two old, humble boys that still liked a beer. Naval Gazer and Spidiver will back me on this one.

G

guestm

No-one, they're all just blokes.

Oooh! Apart from David Prowse, he came to my school to talk Green Cross Code but we just made him talk about being Darth Vader.

Chris Bonnington just a few words at Manchester Airport I thought him a Gentleman of the highest order.

Jimmy Saville we both ran The Wilmslow Marathon. A fine Gentleman indeed

I was pissed off when reading about The Cockleshell Heroes I read about Bill Sparks having part of his incapacity benefit stopped. And what you read he had gone through. Disgusting

frogman007

War Hero
Chris Bonnington just a few words at Manchester Airport I thought him a Gentleman of the highest order.

Jimmy Saville we both ran The Wilmslow Marathon. A fine Gentleman indeed

I was pissed off when reading about The Cockleshell Heroes I read about Bill Sparks having part of his incapacity benefit stopped. And what you read he had gone through. Disgusting

Especially as a man with his mates on that "are on the dole" just walked out of a "three" shop with his new Iphone 4s. Sat near me at the till gobbing off about how he is on benefits and was choosing a £60 a month tarrif. Glad I am paying for that luxury you ******.

Ballistic

War Hero
In the late 1980s or early 1990s, (can't quite remember), I was attending a family get-together at my uncle's house and I ended up chatting to a very old gentleman. Somebody had told him I was in the Navy and he expressed an interest in my job.

After a few minutes of conversation he had to go home but as he went he casually mentioned that he'd been in the Battle of Jutland!

To this day I'm kicking myself that that I didn't have more time to talk to him.

LujonSA

War Hero
Albert Quixall in September 1958. Manchester United had just paid a record british transfer fee of £45,000 for him and I was awestruck that he spoke to me; I was nine at the time. I later met some unrepentent ex-terrorist called Mandela but he didn't impress me as much.

trelawney126

War Hero
Lord Louis Mountbatten, who kindly chatted to me whilst he was dressed in his rig as Admiral of the Fleet, I on the other hand had just got out of my bunk to have a visit to the heads, (middle watchman) dressed in only my kegs.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Lord Louis Mountbatten, who kindly chatted to me whilst he was dressed in his rig as Admiral of the Fleet, I on the other hand had just got out of my bunk to have a visit to the heads, (middle watchman) dressed in only my kegs.

He apparently "liked" that sort of thing... :shock:

Drakey

War Hero
I met Murray Walker last year at the British F1 Grand Prix. Had a nice chat with him and found him to be a gentleman. He is also a legend in broadcasting and highly thought of by everyone in the industry.

Latest Threads