Which person have you felt most honoured to meet?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by jesse, Nov 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :slow: Not sure where to post this but when in doubt go to lils. So with your life experience
    which person have you felt it an honour to meet? I've met quite a few so called "Stars" during my night club working era they were either on the way up or on the descent. Most of them were shallow self obsessed ego riddled cnuts. One of my biggest let downs during the time I thought that boxing might be a way forward for me, was when I met my idol a former middle weight who turned out to be just a foul mouthed yob.:evil3: But during a trip to Alaska I had the pleasure to meet a real gentleman. We visited a mushers camp at Dyea outside Skagway where I met Hannibal a retired sledge dog who has completed the 1000 mile Ideteriod sledge race TWICE!! as lead dog without missing a single leg of the 1000 miles.That is some feat:naka:Like all true heros he was a true gentle man and rolled over to have his tummy rubbed. I wish him a long retirement and feel it was an honour to have met him. Othe so called "stars" wane to nothing in compare . His kennel man told me that he [Hannibal] thinks the ice road truckers are a bunch of pussies with heated, air conditioned cabs. The Dalton Highway Dawson to Prudo Bay, He'd do it before breakfast.:angry4:

2. Most honoured to meet Ermm I'd say been most humbled by or I respect the most currently. A lad I serve with on board. He did the skippers challenge thingy a few weeks ago with me.

He's a Cpl bootie. He was one of the 4 booties who held on to the sides of an apache helicopters and went in to retrieve a dead oppo.

Nicest bloke I've ever spoken to in the mob. When he span the dit which he doesn't do often. I had a lump in my throat especially after showing me the pics he has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. A British bloke working in a Romanian orphanage in about '97.

A load of us went to paint the place (the walls and stuff, not on canvas) and do some renovation. The tiffs even got the cement mixer going and we did a pretty good job I think. Well paid for about four or five hours fairly hard work and a good PR move.

During the visit I got talking to this bloke, who was initially a tad reticent, partly due to being a naturaly quiet bloke (in my opinion) and possibly a little suspect/uncomfortable about a load of servicemen being there - think he was one of them there 'lefties'. I asked him about the funding of the place and he told me it was all from foreign charity (a fair old whack of it from UK) - nothing from Romanian government or anything, but bearing in mind the hateful Ceaușescu had only met his overdue demise less than a decade earlier, it was hardly surprising.

I asked how he was 'funded' and he told me he wasn't. He took what he needed to live from the money coming in, I got the impression his main luxury was his baccy. This bloke was in his late twenties and had been there for about five years. Really, really shite conditions, kids dying of HIV related disease on a regular basis, no (or little) leisure time for him or his co-workers (I can't remember seeing any at the time, but there must have been of course).

Absolutely no reason to doubt his story - I have every faith in what he told me.

Humbled and honoured to meet the chap.

4. Sir Norman Wisdom, OBE. I met Norman on more than one occasion, and when not clowning around, doing his mock 'trip' and shouting out "Mr Grimsdale!" he was actually a very interesting man to chat with. Happy memories. What a lovely unpretentious man he was.

SP.

5. I met a holocaust survivor on a school trip to the Holocaust memorial/museum place near Newark. It was a very sobering experience, indeed.

6. In 2007 I met one of the RMs who formed SAMA 82,lost his leg during the conflict,lovely bloke to chat to. Same time I got chatting to stokers off one of the ships that went down,saying you could not block a hole in the side of the ship with a matteress when it was the size of a van! Also in 2001 when I did the Centenary March for the Submarine Service,the Platoon next to us was the Polish Contingent,lovely lady that had been in the Warsaw uprising and survived a concentration camp. Her husband was with her and when I said it was a bit cold her husband offered me some PROPER Polish vodka warmed me up a treat!
    Two members of our RNA,ordinary men but both landed on D Day,one army and meant to,the other RN,his LCT hit a mine,he swam ashore then stood on a land mine. I get to sit in their company at our RNA meetings,that makes me humble and very proud.

7. Sounds like a school i`d have liked. :eek:ccasion7:

8. Cockleshell Hero Bill Sparks, a really likeable, down-to-earth chap. Interviewed him at a special forces veterans' get-together as well as Lord Jellicoe - another interesting fellow, although I didn't have the balls to ask him about his "colourful" private life...

9. I was honoured to know an old guy at my legion who joined the mob in 1937 and served throughout the war including the Russian Convoy's, at 90 he crossed the bar last year after a short illness, only once did he not take part in our rememberance parade. He used to go around the schools talking to the kids about the war and schooldays pre-war. He was a sprightly old bugger up until the last. He did a lot for Cancer Research as he lost his wife and 3 daughters to cancer.

Also had the honour to meet Bobby Gould VC and for a non-military bloke, it was Henry Cooper, a true gent.

10. The rehabilitation centre, based in HMS DRAKE, was aptly named Sparks Block.
    It's a sobering reminder that we need such places in the 21st Century. A nondescript
    collection of Portakabin-like buildings sitting along the edge of the main car park, it
    has a number of ramps leading up to its main doors and often makes me think that
    I am in fact one fortunate son-of-a-bitch not to have experienced anything like
    the stuff that those who attend Sparks Block have endured. I do not know many of
    'em....the people that I occasionally pass on my way to either a day shift or a night
    shift, but as they move about HMS DRAKE - sometimes using a walking stick (or on
    rarer occasions - with one of those artifical "blade limbs" where a leg once was), it's
    honour enough for me to know that these blokes have done far, far more in service
    of this country than any of us who are now grumbling civilians with artificial knees,
    aches and pains will EVER have to cope with. So - there isn't really (as this thread
    asks) a "single person" that I have been most honoured to meet. It's the one's I
    see most days, those I walk past and the ones whos name I do not actually know
    that make me feel honoured, humbled and in total awe of their single bloody
    mindedness to get on with their lives now that they are back home.

Yours Aye,

Mac.

[​IMG]

Bill Sparks

11. Like Jesse I've spent up to 40 years working the clubs and met lot of the so called stars and like him I found them a bunch of boring twats trying to be funny when they weren't .
    Exception was poor old Les Dawson,he lived not far from me[much posher area!] but I used to meet an play golf with him regularly and he was great company.
    On his Golf Charity day he couldn't stand most of the other so called stars.
    Trouble with Les was that he was a three bottle a day brandy drinker and that couldn't last.
    Never met anyone who didn't like him though and you can't say that about the rest of them in that game.
    Privilege to know him pretty well though although I fancied his missus more!

12. People should be honoured to meet me, not the other way around.

13. Getting access to Broadmoor and it's high security wing is most difficult ....so a 'cheers mate' is as good as the 'honoured' bit gets.....:pottytrain2::laughing2:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Two P party divers at the diving branch golden jubilee in 2002. These lads went in under the cover darkeness and carried out all types of recces including taking sand samples to see if the beach could take the weight of tanks. They also went in and cleared the ordnance around the X hedges. Two old, humble boys that still liked a beer. Naval Gazer and Spidiver will back me on this one.

15. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I wasn't. You tried to bum me and left dribble in my pockets.

16. No-one, they're all just blokes.

Oooh! Apart from David Prowse, he came to my school to talk Green Cross Code but we just made him talk about being Darth Vader.

17. Chris Bonnington just a few words at Manchester Airport I thought him a Gentleman of the highest order.

Jimmy Saville we both ran The Wilmslow Marathon. A fine Gentleman indeed

I was pissed off when reading about The Cockleshell Heroes I read about Bill Sparks having part of his incapacity benefit stopped. And what you read he had gone through. Disgusting

18. Especially as a man with his mates on that "are on the dole" just walked out of a "three" shop with his new Iphone 4s. Sat near me at the till gobbing off about how he is on benefits and was choosing a £60 a month tarrif. Glad I am paying for that luxury you wanker.

19. In the late 1980s or early 1990s, (can't quite remember), I was attending a family get-together at my uncle's house and I ended up chatting to a very old gentleman. Somebody had told him I was in the Navy and he expressed an interest in my job.

After a few minutes of conversation he had to go home but as he went he casually mentioned that he'd been in the Battle of Jutland!

To this day I'm kicking myself that that I didn't have more time to talk to him.

20. Albert Quixall in September 1958. Manchester United had just paid a record british transfer fee of £45,000 for him and I was awestruck that he spoke to me; I was nine at the time. I later met some unrepentent ex-terrorist called Mandela but he didn't impress me as much.