Which Iron to go for??

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Dan_Bakke, Feb 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. and i don't mean golf..

I start at Dartmouth in April, and i've just been reading through the joining pack and it says to get a good iron. I just wandered if anyone has any particular types they would recommend?
    I've done a search and can't seem to find any past posts, so what do people use and what do they think?
    I suppose I should also ask how much i should expect to spend on a decent iron, as I haven't ever had to buy my own before.

Thanks for the help
  2. Why not ask your mom?
    Please don't tell me that a potential officer is asking questions of this calibre :pukel:
  3. woolies - a fiver will do

it only needs to last a few weeks then a crumb-gatherer will do it for a few quid
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Kenwood or Morphy Richards are good, get one that has steam and a water spray option, you get what you pay for. As a trainee rupert once you finish basic you can then pack it away as your man servant will do it for you once you get drafted.

Fcuk....did I just answer that question semi sensibley?
  5. Get to 3 ringer, drive a ship and you'll have a "piss pot juggler" to do it for you!
  6. What's wrong with the question. I know that there's a big emphasis on uniform at Dartmouth. I was merely wandering if people had got better results with different irons? I apologise for asking a question that will help me be prepared.
  7. Think you'll find its the operator more than the tool!
  8. FFS! :sad3:
  9. Thanks for that, i've been looking at those brand so I'll probably go for one of those! Lol, and yes you did, thanks!
  10. wet_blobby

Have you considered the quality of your ironing board? metallic silver covers and such?

Or even getting the "right" kind of squirty bottle to give you the perfect water mist before you iron?
  11. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

You need to get a quality steam iron, preferably with teflon base so it glides. A good quality cloth as well so when you iron you place the cloth over the item to stop it burning. Don't spend too much. A good iron board is a must and if you are tall check it is the right height. Bigger the board the better.
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Sorry... :oops: :twisted:

13. I put a sheet of tinfoil in between the board and the cover when I did my RAF basic, worked a treat (even with a crappy £5 Woolworths iron!).

I did have a nice Morphy Richards one, but it kindly fell out of my locker and onto the DIs nice shiny shoes one day...whoops!
  14. wet_blobby

Ahhh.....you will find the secret of best brown paper soon as well.... :dwarf:
  15. quite a range of answers, some with £5 ones, some with slightly more, I didn't honestly think about the ironing board. Definitely something I'll consider now. Although the tin foil idea sounds interesting. I take it the board isn't that important, it's more the cover?
  16. Basically, the tin foil reflects the heat, thereby making your iron twice as hot and twice as effective (or just normal if you bought a pikey iron like me).

I really wouldn't bother with an expensive iron, I mean, what's the point? I made that mistake once, now I just buy el cheapo ones and when they get scaled up lob them away.

Tesco could be a plan....
  17. FFS! x 2! :sad2:
  18. wet_blobby

Nah, get a decent iron. The bigger the board the less time you spend fcuking about rearranging the item getting ironed, now please can we talk about something like sexy chicks with ironing boards?

I'm in danger of giving sensible advice here.
  19. Oh let's keep this going just because Harry's enjoying it so much :thumright:

When I was at Dartmouth (in a doddery old man voice) they used to actually teach you ironing! I must have paid attention because now I am an ironing-ninja. The only downside is I am now an ironing-ninja for myself, Mrs Jambosun and the Jambosun Juniors! 20 uniforms a week plus all the other stuff that girls wear. It's far too complicated, so many pleats and straps to worry about!

Right, that's enough of my femine side; I'm off to be butch and manly and do the dishes.
  20. Got taught it at Raleigh too, I assume they still do teach it?