Which Carrier?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by janner, Feb 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Eagle Oberon at Sydney Oz.jpg

Photo taken late 1960's, Sydney, Boat is the Oberon, Carrier said to be Eagle but I remember the Victorious being out there at the time.

Any big ship mens views.

If its the Vic and 1966 that could be a young janner on the Oberons Bridge.
  2. Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  3. I see a dirty great big radar on the first piccy.
  4. Eagle with big radome

Look at holes on side Vic 3 high 3 low

Eagle 2 high 4 low
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  5. Yes it's the Vic was on that commish she never had the flying bedstead above the dish..... Which the Eagle had think they were 965.?????
  6. Also in Woolloomoollo from 27 oct to 10 nov 66 were Hampshire Arethusa Cleopatra Leander and of course Oberon
  7. lol that is the 984 same as the Hermes and Eagle
  8. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I think she's Hermes.

Indeed 965 was the bedstead.
  9. I disagree. The front of the island/bridge was more angular on Hermes, whereas Victorious had a round bridge profile

10. HMS_Hermes_(R12)_1962.jpg

No, different no. of holes on side, bridge different.
  11. To the best of my knowledge and I was on Hermes 68 she only visited Freemantle on both commissions not Sydney
  12. Maybe it would have helped you all if they'd painted them differrent colours...
  13. ...on a black and white photo ???
    • Like Like x 1
  14. That is definitely Victorious. As OLA suggests the island shape is distinctive. Three carriers got the Type 984 - Eagle, Vic & Hermes. Hermes had an angular isalnd front similar to but lower than Eagle.
  15. Captain of the Vic was Captain I.L McIntosh DSO DSC MBE, himself an Aussie... SCEPTRE fame, Later SIR IAN
  16. And you never bought Tre a wet!
  17. OK, how about some nice patterns or just paint the ship's name the length on the hull.
  18. one flew over the Cuckoos nest??
  19. You never looked at the bow and way that the Vic had that beautiful swept back shape, as opposed the blunter bows of the Eagle or Hermes.