WHICH CAREER SHOULD I CHOOSE?? HELP I MUST KNOW BY FRIDAY

#1
PLease help and reply asap.....I have just passed my PEDA and have a date for november....I have until friday to make up my mind whether I want to work as a diver or NASE....ok both completely different jobs but I can't make up my mind....loved the peda but the thought of going frontline in afgan is putting me off which they are starting to do with the divers I believe due to IEDS eod's....the risks involved in diving....my afco seems to try and be steering me to diver as he thinks nase is tedious and boring?? I know the pays better but im stuck right in the middle....help!!!
 
#2
Re: WHICH CAREER SHOULD I CHOOSE?? HELP I MUST KNOW BY FRIDA

In reality only you can answer the question rather than have anonymous people who may/may not have experience of both branches and can only offer a generally biased opinion... question is what do YOU really want to do?
 
#3
Re: WHICH CAREER SHOULD I CHOOSE?? HELP I MUST KNOW BY FRIDA

This is probabaly why I can't answer it...I want to do both lol. Possibly wondering if you can become a ship's diver even if you do nase? kind of maye wanting to avoid IED in afgan a lil bit much...
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#4
If you don't want to serve in areas of conflict, then possibly the Armed Forces are not the best of career options frankly. In the last 12 months over 1000 Naval Personnel, besides Royal Marine Commandos served in Afghanistan.

Ships Divers are no more.
 
#6
Nickszilagyi said:
PLease help and reply asap.....I have just passed my PEDA and have a date for november....I have until friday to make up my mind whether I want to work as a diver or NASE....ok both completely different jobs but I can't make up my mind....loved the peda but the thought of going frontline in afgan is putting me off which they are starting to do with the divers I believe due to IEDS eod's....the risks involved in diving....my afco seems to try and be steering me to diver as he thinks nase is tedious and boring?? I know the pays better but im stuck right in the middle....help!!!
Err if you don't want to go to war maybe yo should join the st Jhons abulance or something?
 
#7
DeepHeat said:
Nickszilagyi said:
PLease help and reply asap.....I have just passed my PEDA and have a date for november....I have until friday to make up my mind whether I want to work as a diver or NASE....ok both completely different jobs but I can't make up my mind....loved the peda but the thought of going frontline in afgan is putting me off which they are starting to do with the divers I believe due to IEDS eod's....the risks involved in diving....my afco seems to try and be steering me to diver as he thinks nase is tedious and boring?? I know the pays better but im stuck right in the middle....help!!!
Err if you don't want to go to war maybe yo should join the st Jhons abulance or something?
Is that a dyslexic medical service :?:
 
#8
WreckerL said:
DeepHeat said:
Nickszilagyi said:
PLease help and reply asap.....I have just passed my PEDA and have a date for november....I have until friday to make up my mind whether I want to work as a diver or NASE....ok both completely different jobs but I can't make up my mind....loved the peda but the thought of going frontline in afgan is putting me off which they are starting to do with the divers I believe due to IEDS eod's....the risks involved in diving....my afco seems to try and be steering me to diver as he thinks nase is tedious and boring?? I know the pays better but im stuck right in the middle....help!!!
Err if you don't want to go to war maybe yo should join the st Jhons abulance or something?
Is that a dyslexic medical service :?:
It is indeed where all the mongs go for treatment.
 
#9
Re: WHICH CAREER SHOULD I CHOOSE?? HELP I MUST KNOW BY FRIDA

Polto said:
Thought about Steward? :jocolor:

HTH. :lol:
But even that may put the little dear on a ship that went to war, the thought of which is clearly too much for 'him'.
 
#10
Re: WHICH CAREER SHOULD I CHOOSE?? HELP I MUST KNOW BY FRIDA

Guzzler said:
Polto said:
Thought about Steward? :jocolor:

HTH. :lol:
But even that may put the little dear on a ship that went to war, the thought of which is clearly too much for 'him'.
If he goes NA(SE) he could always go over the side in a liferaft and paddle back to Blighty if things get snotty
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
#11
Re: WHICH CAREER SHOULD I CHOOSE?? HELP I MUST KNOW BY FRIDA

Since their unilateral disarmament around 1865, there is a viable Army alternative for conscientious objectors.

They're in the telephone book under 'Salvation Army'.
 
#13
Re: WHICH CAREER SHOULD I CHOOSE?? HELP I MUST KNOW BY FRIDA

No i understand that I will be in areas if conflict but if i wanted to be frontline disposing of mines surely I would have join engineers or infantry if you get my point....you can still do your bit for the services to help and not have to be front line....even in afgan....im just not up for the whole being shot at and defusing ied's at this moment in time lol
 
#14
Re: WHICH CAREER SHOULD I CHOOSE?? HELP I MUST KNOW BY FRIDA

Nickszilagyi said:
No i understand that I will be in areas if conflict but if i wanted to be frontline disposing of mines surely I would have join engineers or infantry if you get my point....you can still do your bit for the services to help and not have to be front line....even in afgan....im just not up for the whole being shot at and defusing ied's at this moment in time lol
Then I surgest you join as a chaplin or priest as that is the ONLY career in the forces where you can not be asked to take up arms. The hint is in the name, ARMED forces. I should also point out that more RN personal where killed in the falklands war than any other force.
 
#16
Re: WHICH CAREER SHOULD I CHOOSE?? HELP I MUST KNOW BY FRIDA

My god...im not talking about arms...Im not a brick....I know what im signing up for....just the thought of signing up as a DIVER and not diving.
 
#17
Re: WHICH CAREER SHOULD I CHOOSE?? HELP I MUST KNOW BY FRIDA

Nickszilagyi said:
....reply with advice...not stupid comments thanks.
You are obviously NOT cut out for the ARMED Forces. You don't want to be shot at, you won't listen to advice, and you can't make up your pathetic little mind. Why don't you just piss off and be a pizza delivery man. :twisted:
 
#18
Re: WHICH CAREER SHOULD I CHOOSE?? HELP I MUST KNOW BY FRIDA

Nickszilagyi said:
....reply with advice...not stupid comments thanks.
My advice would be if your going to gob of don't lose your nerve and edit. No one has made stupied comments.
 
#20
Re: WHICH CAREER SHOULD I CHOOSE?? HELP I MUST KNOW BY FRIDA

If you join as a MCD then that is your main job ie diving and EOD. You might have to defuse mines/explosive ordnance either around the coasts of the UK or wherever else you are sent. As a diver your main sea going role is on the mine clearance vessels, but in between sea drafts you will work on one of the diving teams around the UK or be sent elsewhere. As far as I'm aware there are not too many divers doing the EOD role in Afghan, but as people have been saying the RN is supporting the troops out there in various roles. It's all part of what we do.

Get shirty with the lads and lasses on here is not going to help you. As for saying were obviously not up for it or we would have joined the infantry, I suggest you rethink your tack.

As you were told very early on in this post it's got to be down to your choice. Having done the PEDA you should have a good idea of what MCD do in the RN. As for NA(SE) perhaps a visit to the FAA museum at Yeovilton or a talk with your careers advisor about a Royal Navy Acquaint at Collingwood for the FAA might be another option. I must say though that there is a big difference in the jobs you are looking at.

As Ninja said Ships Diver no longer exsists so if you want to dive for a living then MCD is the only option

Have a good think and then go for it

SM

:)
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TechFin Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
R The Fleet 4
Jenny_Dabber Site Issues 0

Similar threads