Which branch shortest waiting times currently?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mirrenso, May 2, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, im new here and want to join up....im a female, 17 and interested in surface fleet and want as much sea time and see as much of the world as possible...no land based boring desk jobs!!
    Ive been round role finder and interested in chef, dental nurse, logistics, communication.
    A friend that's in told me "beware waiting times long" and "lots of us girls in communications."
    So.....what sort of jobs can I apply for to have shortest/shorter wait times between seeing AFCO for initial talk, applying and HMS Raleigh?
    And what's the main stages....AFCO talk/apply/....then what in between....RT test...interview?
    When do you do the fitness test and do they test you on the swim 50m part when?
    Sorry for so many questions but im new here but really keen....thanks for any advice.
    Mirrenso

2. While I admire your enthusiasm I would advise you to pick a job you think you would enjoy rather than the one with the shortest waiting time. The navy will present you with lots of challenges whatever role you chose so it best to be patient and happy rather than stuck in a job that for you could unrewarding. Good luck with whatever you chose to do.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thank you, but does anyone know approximately the shortest wait times for whatever branch?
    Is it much shorter now due to more finance from MOD and im seeing all these "made in Navy adverts."
    If it's going to be ages and ages I'd just become an army girl and get on with my life....I want away from home/small town boredom now....I heard "army girls" wait time shorter.....but would prefer Navy.
    Anyone know approx. shortest wait time for whatever branch....I don't mind 12 months etc.....but im not waiting around for 2 years sort of thing.....thank you.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you genuinely want to be a Chef, on ships or submarines, you could probably commence initial training in July or September if you apply right now & successfully complete all elements of selection without delay - if you apply today.

If you haven't started getting fit and want to join as a Chef, then log-off, get training now, with a view to a Sept-Dec entry.

It's no use wondering how fast you can join if you have not even started to get fit enough to pass the fitness tests and swimming assessments yet because you will simply achieve a rapid fail, be it Army or Navy.

Odds are, we can process you faster than you can get fit enough to join.

Good luck.

5. ...thank you ninja....already started.....doing my 1.5 mile in under 13mins and progressing well with swimming.
    Re: swimming is breast stroke ok.....and how high rope to climb...and is it thick rope and can you use legs as "traps" on way up?
    I would also really like dental nurse...I have 2 aunts as this in civvie street....would dental nurse be very long wait list?....thanks....this info help making me even more excited...gonna do another 1.5 miler now!!
    Thanks Ninja and Fishead...and anyone else with help!!

6. Oh ninja...forgot to say,...would prefer surface fleet to subs....would surface fleet be much longer....say surface fleet...dental nurse....apply today?....

7. Ninja_Stoker

If you wish to serve afloat and travel overseas, there are very few opportunities to do so as a Dental Nurse. Chef - no problem.

Waiting times for Submariner Chef & General Service Chefs are pretty much the same. Be aware, you could get drafted to boats (submarines) whether or not you want to.

When conducting the RN swim test, wearing overalls, breaststroke is about the only practical style you can use.

The rope diameter is about 50mm I think, about 7 metres high - hopefully someone can confirm. You tend to trap the rope between your feet, when climbing.

8. Ninja Stoker...your reply has been so useful to me...I can't thank you enough!!!!!
    Chef it is then....it was on my shortlist anyway....I can take it into civilian life eventually....now I know rope and swim test completely do-able for me.....so what's my first move....phone my AFCO tomorrow for appointment with my Careers Adviser?
    Then what's the best advice for initial test revision...I got a C in higher GCSE maths and CC in Science.
    Where's best revision booklet for test? I heard I need to revise "Mechanics."
    Thank you very much!!

9. Go for whatever you want to be - I am uncertain of time limits any set time limits, but anything could come up and delay process, so be prepared for that! :)

Good luck!

M96

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  10. Ninja_Stoker

11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

How long have you served M96, maybe you should hold back on the advice until you have some experience to back it.

12. Ninja_Stoker

Just checked, for student Dental Nurse (fang-farriers' assistant) there are two or three places on the December 2016 intake.

13. Please lord mirrenso, unless you really truly want to, do not join as a chef just because you want a shorter wait. Seriously, you will be at sea and in the galley more than any other branch, you will also be working even when the rest of the ship get a day off. If you are looking with awe at the banyan parties on flight decks etc, it is very unlikely you'll be up there. Don't get me wrong. If it is your hearts desire you will be welcomed into a strong family of people and you'll bond well :) just a few thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. On the plus side, you get to fly the Ship's helicopter. It's not all bad :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Haha, yes, and maintain the ships cows

16. You'll be up there alright. Working!

17. Ninja_Stoker

I bloody hope so. We have a tradition in this area - the Chefs don't fix the engines & the stokers don't do the cooking. The Pilots drive the planes and the Air Engineers fix 'em. Generally.

It works rather well ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. I bloody hope they are in the galley at sea more than any other branch! I'd be worried if they were in the OPS Room more than an RP ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. You guys know what I mean! I meant that chefs appear (are) at work more than other branches, when other branches get a Sunday routine chefs do not etc etc.

20. What's a sunday routine? Usually on watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk