Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Which armed force are you serving/served in?

Ex RN left after 17 as a POWEM(O), warships and some happy years in the white navy when it was still white and had good trips.
Now living in Bangkok still working at sea but for better money, better lifestyle, more time off, single en suite cabins and no scrubbing out...
Much better, so why the hell do I miss it so much??????

Shippers, thought i'd better post something here.

Joined the mob as a baby chef in 1972 left as CPO Caterer in 1995, now in my 10th year with the NHS, (working, honestly).

Hoping to retire as the man of many pensions in 8 years time.

Lingyai, by White Navy, do you mean the Buff Funnel Line, I enjoyed the Bulldog and the Herald and also enjoy the Survey Ships Association

POETS DAY, So I shall be going for the early bath, nearest thing to a Make & Mend in the NHS

14 yrs RN FAA 1975-89 lived , loved , drunk, fought all over the world survived to tell the tales now H G V driving still in touch with many friends made during those years looking forward to retiring

Father_Famine said:
Lingyai, by White Navy, do you mean the Buff Funnel Line, I enjoyed the Bulldog and the Herald and also enjoy the Survey Ships Association

Yes sir, indeed I do. Was on Hecla Beagle and Roebuck when Roebuck was painted grey. Lovely little close knit branch with some real good hands. Nice change from the "war" navy and a damn sight more interesting than weapons systems and infernal comms.

TheCommunicator said:
Lingyai said:
Ex RN left after 17 as a POWEM(O),

Your last sea draft in the RN wasn't Internal Comms on a Pompey based Type 23 was it?
Sorry Shippers, I was a staunch Guzz rating, was never on a pompey ship but did a stint there whilst paying off the Arethusa.
Oggy oggy oggy

Former RM, Jan 59 - Feb 82. 40 cdo X 2, 41 cdo X 1, 43 cdo X 1, 45 cdo X 4. RMR Bristol, RMR Scotland, CTCRM, HMS Ganges (very briefly).

Moved to Canada on discharge. Took early retirement at 55. Am now a professional dirty old man. :lol:

Andy O.

xxspikexx said:
14 yrs RN FAA 1975-89 lived , loved , drunk, fought all over the world survived to tell the tales now H G V driving still in touch with many friends made during those years looking forward to retiring

Funny how so many of us ended up HGV drivers or painters. (Done both) Got many a lift from ex Navy HGV drivers during the early fiftys. Guess it runs in our family Dad was one so I guess I followed his footsteps. Retired now.

RNR comms rate for the last 21 years.

Units: HMS Forward, Sussex, King Alfred, President, Flying Fox and then back to Forward. My early training conducted at sea on 10MCM and ashore at Mercury. Following demise of 10MCM have undertaken ORT on Birmingham, Exeter, Ledbury MEWSG on Wave Ruler with other spells at ashore at Colingrad, Excellent and South Cerney (JV04).

Started life as RO(T), then re-titled Comms(Sea), briefly became GSSR(C) and am now a CPO(CIS).

Just think, if I'd joined the regulars, I'd almost be eligible for my pension (and I wouldn't have got married either!). :)

Ex RN FAA Junglie '78-'94. Started Mechanignogs course in '82 and finished Tiffs course in '84. Confused the hell outa me, but rule changes is what they were good at. They fed we well, trained me well, even let me have a go at being married a coupla times. Left Nov '94 when they offered me a wad to b*gger off. Now commuting between Somerset and Shanghai

Tombo said:
Serving RM down at 42 cdo, only passed out 7 weeks ago so only a sprog.

Good luck!! The 42 lot are a good bunch! Well, depends if Jesters is involved!

Say hi to Wayne!!

Ex RN, 17 years LS2 (62/79) as a Dusty.

Ganges/Pembroke/Dolphin/Albion/Dolphin (not subs)/Charybdis/Pembroke/Tiger/Pembroke/Daedalus/Pembroke/Pompey Barracks Discharge.

Good times - well most of them !

Latest Threads