Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Which armed force are you serving/served in?

joined at Ganges 1971,as JMEM2 sea time Dundas, Hardy, Kent, Blake and Sheffield shore time mostly F M G Portland but did do a stint as FOST staff boat crew. Left the mob 1983, no work so joind local T A got my H G V. Now running waste contract in Purbeck.

Served with the Queens Ganja Rifles from 1830 until 1834 when I transferred to the Duke of Toxteth's Light Yeomanry Regiment of Foot. Had some good times.

More recently I joined the RN in 2001 as a OM(AW) and served on HMS Newcastle and HMS Exeter, I also spent some time doing force protection on RFA Grey Rover, this encouraged me to apply for a draft at RFANSU where I served on RFA Fort Victoria and RFA Fort George as a Phalanx Operator which was a mega doss.

Left the mob in 07 to pursue better things. Now work in a civvy gun factory in London and am in the TA (Honourable Artillery Company) serving as an Armourer.

Grenville 43 October 79 Volunteer For Submarine service HMS Dolphin , Shat me pants on the way up the Escape tank and never Understood why You shot 8 foot out the water in the Michelin suit" Realised later it was to save the Diver Jumping out the Sea king to rescue us as wed just land in his lap if the suits were filled with Helium "

Left to Pursue more boring Pursuits " Like spending 5 years in Dijbouti and Chad with that Funny lot with the Carry on Camel Eaupalettes " 2nd Rep Legion Etrangere with a Grand Tour of Kuwait City in 91 Operation Daguette one thing i say for the french " when they drop you in the shite they realy crap on your Humour . Tours in Bosnia and Guyene followed buy that Popular French Version of the 18/30s Holiday Hotspot of east Timor does wonders for the Butlins add. and now well came Home Joined the RMR and spent untill last year most of my Time on Active Deployment with 29 Commando Reg ,NGS Troop . Boring Hua! :D

2_deck_dash said:
Served with the Queens Ganja Rifles from 1830 until 1834 when I transferred to the Duke of Toxteth's Light Yeomanry Regiment of Foot. Had some good times.

More recently I joined the RN in 2001 as a OM(AW) and served on HMS Newcastle and HMS Exeter, I also spent some time doing force protection on RFA Grey Rover, this encouraged me to apply for a draft at RFANSU where I served on RFA Fort Victoria and RFA Fort George as a Phalanx Operator which was a mega doss.

Left the mob in 07 to pursue better things. Now work in a civvy gun factory in London and am in the TA (Honourable Artillery Company) serving as an Armourer.
When were you on the Newcastle mate?

Ex RN Ab uc2 star , served a dogwatch 74 to 78 , ships , hardy , keppel , jaguar , ashanti . Shore bases , Ganges , Raleigh , vernon . docks , Chatham , pompey , devonport , portland . Runs ashore , Gib 3 , Malta 2 , Morroco 1 , Norway 1 , too cold for me . and some pagan rammed our ship :evil: Some time spent in dock , chipping and painting bollards :cry: . Looking back i wish i had done 9 and not missed the falklands . J dont suppose there are any part time jobs in the mob for a 54 yr old ex dabtoe pinger :)

HMS Ganges - 1969 - 1970
HMS Cambridge - 1970 - 1970
HMS London - 1970 - 1972
HMS Excellent - 1972 - 1973
HMS Intrepid - 1973 - 1975
HMS Hampshire - 1975 - 1976
HMS Sheffield - 1976 - 1979
HMS Nelson - 1979 for Release

1960 - 1990 RN - Last appointment part of FOSNI staff ( Greenies Engineering)- Left from HMS Cochrane with just about a thank you and a 15 minute chat with an ex two and a half "resettlement officer" who was more interested in his Cairn terrier that was in the office, which, he informed me - had been poorly !
Worked at a electronincs hardware manufacturers Achieved NEBOSH (MIOSH) then MSc. Now retired and part time teacher.

Last edited:
Army 1979 - 1994
Uk (inc NI, Canada, Cyprus tours) Germany(inc Gulf War1- the joy of sand tour Dec '90 to May '91)
came back to UK in '92 for last 2 years, De-mob '94 Now MOD civvy mechanic

Hi all.
24 years in the Royal Navy (next month). PO Logistics Supply Chain - formerly (and preferred title) PO Stores Accountant. Served in various estblishments and ships from July 1987. :pottytrain2:

Hello there, 3 n a bit years served AB(ws).
I have served upon:
HMS Ark Royal
HMS Cattistock*

Then onto 43 Commando FPGRM where I was deployed onto
HMS Cattistock
RFA Fort George
HMS Grimsby
RFA Lyme Bay
HMS Ramsey
HMS Pursuer
RFA Fort Victoria

Last edited: