Where's the RN when you need them?

#2
Isn't the patrol area for ATALANTA something like 1 million square miles? It's an impossible task with the fleet we have.

HMS Portland is shown escorting the cruise liner arcadia in this month's Navy News. Perhaps this will become a more frequent task and our masters will see fit to give the RN more money for ships!

I think perhaps the cruise ships' owners should have to re-inburse the RN for expenses somehow.
 
#3
It's a 'kin lot of sea for a couple frigates to patrol which is why there's an international force patrolling the area, a bit like having 2 police cars covering Yorkshire :roll:
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#4
...The company has since taken the Balmoral, formerly the Norwegian Crown, off its website ship locator.
Transiting the hostile waters of the Gulf of Aden and then telling the whole world where the ship is? Terrible though this ordeal must've been for the passengers, it is the shipping line who at fault here. Coalition forces cannot protect every vessel within the AOR... :oops:
 
#5
sgtpepperband said:
...The company has since taken the Balmoral, formerly the Norwegian Crown, off its website ship locator.
Transiting the hostile waters of the Gulf of Aden and then telling the whole world where the ship is? Terrible though this ordeal must've been for the passengers, it is the shipping line who at fault here. Coalition forces cannot protect every vessel within the AOR... :oops:
Probably one for someone from MTO(A) but I think it's now a SOLAS requirement for them to transmit on the global tracking system. The receivers for that kit are on the open market, so it doesn't really matter what the website says, anyone with hostile intent probably has the position informaiton anyway.
 
#6
The shipping companies are responsible for the security, so hire some armed guards who are not averse to using 'reasonable force' to remove the threat, when encountered. Job done, warships back on task and runs-ashore, as per normal
 
#8
WreckerL said:
It's a 'kin lot of sea for a couple frigates to patrol which is why there's an international force patrolling the area, a bit like having 2 police cars covering Yorkshire :roll:
Don't we have some of those black tin cans chugging around out there too????
 
#9
Daktari said:
WreckerL said:
It's a 'kin lot of sea for a couple frigates to patrol which is why there's an international force patrolling the area, a bit like having 2 police cars covering Yorkshire :roll:
Don't we have some of those black tin cans chugging around out there too????
Oh yes, but it's a bit of overkill taking out a rib with a spearfish, TLAMing Somalia however!!!!!!
 
#11
TimeToJoinUp said:
Isn't the patrol area for ATALANTA something like 1 million square miles? It's an impossible task with the fleet we have.

HMS Portland is shown escorting the cruise liner arcadia in this month's Navy News. Perhaps this will become a more frequent task and our masters will see fit to give the RN more money for ships!

I think perhaps the cruise ships' owners should have to re-inburse the RN for expenses somehow.
The UK Merchant Navy (UK & Dependent Territory flag plus UK Beneficially owned/operated) already do reimburse the RN for expenses, it's called taxation!
 
#12
Karma said:
sgtpepperband said:
...The company has since taken the Balmoral, formerly the Norwegian Crown, off its website ship locator.
Transiting the hostile waters of the Gulf of Aden and then telling the whole world where the ship is? Terrible though this ordeal must've been for the passengers, it is the shipping line who at fault here. Coalition forces cannot protect every vessel within the AOR... :oops:
Probably one for someone from MTO(A) but I think it's now a SOLAS requirement for them to transmit on the global tracking system. The receivers for that kit are on the open market, so it doesn't really matter what the website says, anyone with hostile intent probably has the position informaiton anyway.
The rules for the use of AIS (Automated Information System) state that the Master (Captain) has the last word as regards whether he chooses to keep transmitting or switching it off, provided it is for ship's safety reasons and is correctly logged.

That said, Coalition Forces policy in the region has always been to recommend that AIS is kept ON at all times working to the principle that (as said elsewhere in this thread) it is a bloody big bit of oggin and it will help Friendly Forces locate and protect (at least that is the plan!)
 
#13
broadside said:
Karma said:
sgtpepperband said:
...The company has since taken the Balmoral, formerly the Norwegian Crown, off its website ship locator.
Transiting the hostile waters of the Gulf of Aden and then telling the whole world where the ship is? Terrible though this ordeal must've been for the passengers, it is the shipping line who at fault here. Coalition forces cannot protect every vessel within the AOR... :oops:
Probably one for someone from MTO(A) but I think it's now a SOLAS requirement for them to transmit on the global tracking system. The receivers for that kit are on the open market, so it doesn't really matter what the website says, anyone with hostile intent probably has the position informaiton anyway.
The rules for the use of AIS (Automated Information System) state that the Master (Captain) has the last word as regards whether he chooses to keep transmitting or switching it off, provided it is for ship's safety reasons and is correctly logged.

That said, Coalition Forces policy in the region has always been to recommend that AIS is kept ON at all times working to the principle that (as said elsewhere in this thread) it is a bloody big bit of oggin and it will help Friendly Forces locate and protect (at least that is the plan!)
In addition AIS is a VHF service so only line of sight. Ship details out of sight of land do depend on some one passing the info on because the pirates will not pick up the AIS signal unless they are already in VHF range of the target.
 
#14
21_Man said:
The shipping companies are responsible for the security, so hire some armed guards who are not averse to using 'reasonable force' to remove the threat, when encountered. Job done, warships back on task and runs-ashore, as per normal
Anyone else remember when the RN and and it's allied nations warships were tasked with protecting the safe passage of their merchant ships?

Governments were quick enough to go into Iraq for commercial interests, whats stopping them sorting out Somalia and it's declared criminal warlord.
Not a lot in it for the USofA ?

TomO
 
#15
TomO said:
21_Man said:
The shipping companies are responsible for the security, so hire some armed guards who are not averse to using 'reasonable force' to remove the threat, when encountered. Job done, warships back on task and runs-ashore, as per normal
Anyone else remember when the RN and and it's allied nations warships were tasked with protecting the safe passage of their merchant ships?

Governments were quick enough to go into Iraq for commercial interests, whats stopping them sorting out Somalia and it's declared criminal warlord.
Not a lot in it for the USofA ?

TomO
To be fair the septics did go in for a bit but when the locals started killing them they went home.
 
#16
broadside said:
The rules for the use of AIS (Automated Information System) state that the Master (Captain) has the last word as regards whether he chooses to keep transmitting or switching it off, provided it is for ship's safety reasons and is correctly logged.

That said, Coalition Forces policy in the region has always been to recommend that AIS is kept ON at all times working to the principle that (as said elsewhere in this thread) it is a bloody big bit of oggin and it will help Friendly Forces locate and protect (at least that is the plan!)
Thanks for that, I was breifed on it a couple of years ago, but these details can change, so useful to get the update.
 
#17
Convoys as previosly suggested backed up by Lloyds of London and other insuers saying any ship refusing to sail in convoy will lose its insurance cover. If they run out of comms between the various navies then just use Sat Phones or visual lamp and flag when in company.

It is very old science but who ever learnt anything from History.


Nutty
 

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
#19
Still got me uses then, I can read a lamp, handy with a shotgun, have my own specs. and would be available at short notice, but only to warmer climates
 

Seadog

War Hero
Moderator
#20
From the news link.

More than 1,000 British tourists on a world cruise have been targeted by suspected pirates off the coast of Somalia.
So if the 'suspected pirates' weren't pirates, the ship has not been targeted. Journalists, what are you like?

The terrified holidaymakers..........
but

"There was concern but it was all quite civilised.
Anyway

'False alarm' it says here.

If a handful of crew can fight off pirates, imagine what 500 can do (even hairdressers and dancers), along with a few game old boys from the passengers.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top